• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

OEM Stereo capacitors problem, some cases?

OEM Stereo capacitors problems, anyone?

Hi Folks

I have read about capacitors issue of the three amps and AC Unit (afflict mine also)
but never read of Head Unit capacitors.
can the head unit be afflicted by the same problem?
I have searched in the forum but haven't find any related post

Last edited:
My head unit died a while back. The amps been rebuilt then. The head unit eventaully required replacement of most of the capacitors..not sure how many as it was done by an external repairer. It been wroking fine since. The unit was about 15 years old when it died on me, while the amps a few years earlier. Hope above info is of use to you. My X just turned 20!

Yes some head units have issues and bad capacitors are the culprit.
Brian .. how would we know if the head unit capacitors are a problem? When the speaker amps go, there is a noticeable loss in sound quality .. and when they're fixed, the sound quality is good again. But I've had multiple amp fixes over the last 10 years but never once had the head unit looked at. Seems odd to me that the capacitors from roughly the same era ..would fail in the amps but not the head unit .. and yet I currently have great sound quality and no reason to suspect the head unit. When the head unit caps go bad, what is the typical symptom(s)?

Back