• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

OEM Windshield Source

Where in Los Angeles do I order up OEM glass and get it installed?*

I see one post for $400 and another for $1000?!?

I prefer to have the windshield replaced at my house so I can prep the car and have all the parts off of it.

My windshield got smashed during the Malibu fires. I also have very limited access to internet and phones (everything burned and what hasn't burned is now being replaced: so nothing works).

(read about it here:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showpost.php?p=890975&postcount=19 )

Drew
*Going to the Dealer for service is not an option for me as I very much dislike dealing with them.

The part number for the front windshield on my '91 is 73111-SL0-A00. Delray Acura's website shows it with a list price of $755.03 and their price of $601.02. They offer 20 percent off, which is what most dealers sell parts wholesale (i.e. to independent mechanics) and is not too terribly difficult to negotiate if you're a good customer.

I believe the '97-05 is a different part number, as they incorporated some additional reflectivity or something like that into the body glass in '97.

Anybody got any sources for OEM Ashai glass?

PPG apparently does not make NSX glass anymore.

It might come down to paying shipping for the glass from DelRey

I had a Pilkington windshield (model FW 671 "I think") put in. It was like $250.00 installed by a local auto glass shop. Not OEM but an option none-the-less.

Last edited:
I had a Pilkington windshield (model FW 671 "I think") put in. It was like $250.00 installed by a local auto glass shop. Not OEM but an option none-the-less.

Pilkington is a good alternative to OEM if you are not able to locate OEM glass. They make a lot of glass for Honda.

I was quoted 437.50 from Crystal Glass up here in Edmonton Alberta Canada.
Most likely an alternate brand of glass.
Get that done in the spring.
Trev

I called PPG corporate: they have indeed stopped production of the NSX windshield.

PPG referred me to their Vintage Glass division. This is where all the new old stock goes and waits for people like me. They even buy stock from other companies on out of production glass.

It will take up to two weeks for them to conduct a physical search.

I had a Pilkington windshield (model FW 671 "I think") put in. It was like $250.00 installed by a local auto glass shop.

Foreign Window 671 is the same p/n for PPG.

I'm wondering who supplies who at this point :confused:

I'll call up Pilkington tomorrow and see what their story is, I appreciate the tip.

Drew

FYI I had a Pilkington windshield installed in my 95 Legend about 3 years ago. It had so many flaws in it that I had to have it replaced. I suggested to the glass company to put in a PPG piece of glass. They did and it was just fine. Sorry to hear that PPG discontinued making NSX glass. I was looking forward to getting a new PPG windshield soon also.

The problem with the Pilkington glass was that there were numerous small air bubbles, right in the normal driver line of sight, in the laminate. It looked like the windshield was rock chiped as you were driving into the sun.

Look the piece of glass over real well before you let them install it. Be sure to have a good light source behind the glass, like looking into the sun. Hopefully they have improved their quality control over the last three years.

Brad

It's always a good idea to see the actual piece of glass if possible before it goes into the car.

For example, I had my NSX windshield replaced w/ OEM Asahi glass about two years ago. Even though the glass is OEM, there is a slight flaw in it. Hardly noticeable to most people, but at just the right angle you can see a little wavy line on the passenger side (almost like a long hair got stuck in the laminate). Point being, even OEM glass can have flaws.

I've seen Pilkington glass on Accords and CRV (OEM) and they've looked fine, but again, look at the glass before it goes in.

Contact JR at Ray Laks Acura in Buffalo. 1-888-RAY-LAKS. He is the best and they offer the best discount price for all Acura NSX parts. I do believe shipping is free. He will find you what you want and it will be right. Reguardless they are the best!

Cheers

Pilkington corporate got back to me: they have 3 FW-671 in stock in Los Angeles.

Also stated that this p/n is normally available without issue and they are made in Canada.

Anybody installed their own windshield, looks like a two person process with many steps. Any tips?

Drew

Just talked to Peter Van Boxmeer of Pilkington up here in Canada.
He will get me some information on this glass next week and I'll post it for a FAQ for us all.
Its appears that they have just gotten into production of about 30-50 new glass's at their plant, these where just moved up from foreign plants recently.
This is their business to make auto glass and he says that PPG is getting out of the business.
Pilkington has two main warehouses in Columbus and Phoenix.
He says their glass will meet all of the standards that are set out, but I expect he will get us a little more info.
The FW in FW-671 stands for Foreign Window.
Will post more as I get it.
Thanks
Trev
p.s. I have sent him this post so if you have questions for him, just post them and he will read and answer I'm sure.

Last edited:
My Pilkington FW671 got installed a few days ago and I'm impressed. The whole thing got installed for ~$300.

The fit, finish, tint and clarity is awesome, especially for a part that *retails* at 20% of heavily discounted OEM glass. It really fits well! It does have the VIN cutout.

The only issues is that the black shroud is 3/16" off center and a small glass "wave" on the passenger side. Both minor issues, especially for the price break.

Claire Ibarra from Pilkington (Los Angeles) hooked me up big time. She decided the four FW671's she had in current stock had been damaged in storage. So she ordered up six more and she ended up taking time out of her vacation to coordinate delivery and install at my house. Thanks Claire!

Anthony did my glass install, he travels the So Cal (PH 562.500.7740). I do recommend that you cover the inside of the car with a couple of sheets or something as replacing the windshield is a dusty dirty mess.

Also, PPG has some of their discontinued FW671's in stock in their vintage section and they are requesting $550 + shipping from Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Call Gene at PPG Vintage 877.855.8100.

The OEM Lamisafe Ashai brand is only available through Honda and the best price I could find was $650.

Drew

Last edited:
My windshield was cracked and I searched forever for an aftermarket, Everywhere I looked I came to a dead end. I eventually went with OEM acura and had a local glass shop install it, My car is a 95' and I installed a 05' winshield into it without any issues. (It was all the dealer could come up with). I paid somewhere around $800 with a discount, I'm assuming 02+ winshields are more $$??

I searched forever for an aftermarket, Everywhere I looked I came to a dead end.

The NSX 1990-2005 can all use the same windshield.

I was coming up dead too until I made this post and got the Pilkington lead.

I followed up with a call and an email to Pilkington....they got back to me in a day wondering what the problem was as they had some in stock and still made them.

If you got OEM *installed* for $800 then you got a deal.

Last edited:
Back