• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Official Firearms Thread

Will never buy regular old .223 for $1 a round

I'm wondering if we could stoke enough interest for Skeet Shooting or some sort of range time at NSXPO. We have a Monday in the middle that is tentatively a flexible day between the social and track event where we've tossed ideas around such as Karting, Skidpad, etc. I have a little reluctance on suggesting it as it's a touchy subject for some, but at the same light it's something that would be rather unique to a "Southern" (using the term very loosely) event.

I know. That's as high as I've ever seen. Tough to train if you're weekend consists of going through 1k in ammo. It'll come back down but not for a while. Wish I bought more before the panic.

My local range will rent out a portion and have a variety of rental firearms to shoot. I'm sure there's a place in near Raleigh that would do the same. That could be fun but the schedule will be a bit tricky as a typical NSXPO is fairly jam packed with events.

I know. That's as high as I've ever seen. Tough to train if you're weekend consists of going through 1k in ammo. It'll come back down but not for a while. Wish I bought more before the panic.

My local range will rent out a portion and have a variety of rental firearms to shoot. I'm sure there's a place in near Raleigh that would do the same. That could be fun but the schedule will be a bit tricky as a typical NSXPO is fairly jam packed with events.

We've tossed around a lot of ideas for Monday as it would just be the people that stuck around for the track event. VIR has skeet shooting right on premesis and that's a pretty non-offensive pastime :)

Wow. California bills that are coming forward on gun control will make NY look "normal".
Sorry if this is political. Just saw this news today and it impacts California fireams.

It's all just shock and awe. They have been shot down in court as Unconstitutional time and time again. It's to keep the Working peoples mind on something else other than the fact that our country is running out of money. Our country's at crossroads. Either our representatives are going to bleed the system dry, And let the cards fall. Or major cuts are coming. Either way in a world of have-nots, I suggest you arm yourselves If you haven't already. There is a large number of our population that relies on the government. Who do you think they're going to turn on when the government paycheck gets cut off. I'm storing food, weapons and preparing for the worst. If I don't need it good. But the current state Does not look promising

If you think about it a civil war is worth $16 trillion if they let the current system burn to the ground and start new. Sort of like the US government going bankrupt. Seems like they are burning up there credit card with no limit and doing a dam good job at it. The current system so broke they don't even know how to fix it, Who's to say they don't just let it burn.

It's all just shock and awe. They have been shot down in court as Unconstitutional time and time again. It's to keep the Working peoples mind on something else other than the fact that our country is running out of money. Our country's at crossroads. Either our representatives are going to bleed the system dry, And let the cards fall. Or major cuts are coming. Either way in a world of have-nots, I suggest you arm yourselves If you haven't already. There is a large number of our population that relies on the government. Who do you think they're going to turn on when the government paycheck gets cut off. I'm storing food, weapons and preparing for the worst. If I don't need it good. But the current state Does not look promising

If you think about it a civil war is worth $16 trillion if they let the current system burn to the ground and start new. Sort of like the US government going bankrupt. Seems like they are burning up there credit card with no limit and doing a dam good job at it. The current system so broke they don't even know how to fix it, Who's to say they don't just let it burn.
i thnk thats the first person i saw say this openly. something to think bout people. Guns, ammo and gold .

Here's an idea. Why don't we use the NSX Prime forum to discuss all things auto related , and go to a firearms site to discuss firearms.

You are completely correct. The thread was posted in the off topic section , and as you said if I don't want to see it don't click on it . Which I won't. I guess my disdain for firearms got the better of me.

Huh. First we had Urkel as a Primer, now we have Piers Morgan. Funny, your post in the Atheist thread said that you are an Atheist who would NEVER try to force your beliefs on anybody else. You sure have been preachy about guns here on Prime.

Now I don't have an problem with differing opinions. They make the world go round, a more interesting place and the extremes are important because you find "normal" right in the middle of them. I do though have a problem with folks that haven't contributed to a forum either through a monetary contribution (ie: registered users) or through how-to's, WIKI stuff, moderating and the like- sensing entitlement to dictate site/ thread content. Make a contribution first...

Back OT here's my first contribution to this fine thread, an afternoon at the range:

That range box belonged to my Grandfather, passed down to my father and passed down to me. Fun for generations of our family; my wife doesn't look scared:

Nor was the little boy in the background at his Dad's side who got to shoot the PS after her. That made his day.

Fathers and sons at the range, husbands and wives at the range- that's my America. The America that an emeny was afraid to attack in WW2 because there would be "a rifle behind every blade of grass". (I didn't want to say Japan because it built me an awesome car and was a gracious host to me during my tour there)

God Bless!

Who makes the grey 1911 45? Beautiful.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone here own an M&P shield 9mm? I'm looking into another compact and that looks to fit the bill.

Well, I guess I need to represent Canuckistan. Here is my little collection, which I'm sure pales in comparison to many others.

myguns2.jpg

myguns1.jpg

Who makes the grey 1911 45? Beautiful.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone here own an M&P shield 9mm? I'm looking into another compact and that looks to fit the bill.

If I'm not mistaken, that's a Kimber SOCOM. Really nice 1911.

Don't have a M&P Shield but have anecdotal info: good gun but for advanced shooters (light weight). No picatinny rail. However, Apex tactical supports it. Their trigger systems are phenomenal.

Well, I guess I need to represent Canuckistan. Here is my little collection, which I'm sure pales in comparison to many others.

Love your 92FS with the walnut grips. 9MM or 40? It's one of my favorite shooters.

Love your 92FS with the walnut grips. 9MM or 40? It's one of my favorite shooters.

It's 9mm. And those are cherry wood grips. I ordered them from a US company, and if you ever want to guarantee that your package gets opened and inspected by customs, just label them as "gun parts."

Last edited:
Real 1863 U.S. Springfield caplock conversion.
Been in the family a loooooong time!

Brian

I need a hammer for my 1884. It was found buried under a pile of coal for 50+ years and was very rusted and broken in half. I repaired it for a display gun.

Also need a trigger return spring for a S&W .32 Safety Hammerless 2" barrel (Bicycle Gun) that i have never found.

Mike

Last edited:
I need a hammer for my 1884. It was found buried under a pile of coal for 50+ years and was very rusted and broken in half. I repaired it for a display gun.

Also need a trigger return spring for a S&W .32 Safety Hammerless 2" barrel (Bicycle Gun) that i have never found.
Mike, have you tried searching for those parts on Gunbroker.com?
You just never know what will turn up on there................

Best of luck,
Brian

I'm most likely going to basspro today to pick up Remington 870 Express and the Marlin Model 795.

- - - Updated - - -

My fiancee gave me early Valetine gift, a Tactical Range box with AR base as well. I love that thing and have been eyeing it for a while. She pays attention :)

Here it is show with my AR-15
IMG_20130208_152133_zpsd63a7556.jpg

and here it is with base holding to my SKS
IMG_20130208_152316_zpsd3bf4856.jpg

Still puzzled how I've owned firearms for years and rarely shoot and now that we're in the middle of a ammo crisis I've been to the range in 4 consecutive weekends and this weekend is the one big annual shooting day that a bunch of us ITR guys have.

Great day though, got to go to the range with a friend that's a retired SF sniper that had no shortage of tips. I also got to shoot his Benelli M4, I don't think I can want a 870 any longer. A 12 gauge should not be that comfortable to shoot.

http://youtu.be/LAdgf_uPyJ8

Mike, have you tried searching for those parts on Gunbroker.com?
You just never know what will turn up on there................

Best of luck,
Brian

Thanks Brian,
I tried to find them a few years ago but haven't done so lately. The 1884 hammer should be much easier to find then the lemon squeezer spring i would think, may have to get someone to make it. I had actually not even thought about them for a while until you mentioned your springfield. Wish i had taken a pic of the 1884 before i restored it because it was so bad most would have junked it but my grandfather found it on site at Oak Ridge around the 40's so i couldn't let it go.

Mike

Please, do share...

Just mostly corrections to make in regards to form, especially pistol shooting. Years of bad habits that will take a bit to break. Rifle stuff was fine, footing was a little tight, minor correct of forward gripping and how to keep from dancing under rapid fire.

I didn't have a combat job when I was AD so my firearms training was lackluster at best. I'm considering taking some form of course to help drill in proper techniques. The future father-in-law is one of the lead instructors at Blackwater (now called Academi), so I'm thinking about doing something there once getting 2500 rounds of 5.56 is as easy as it once was.

Last edited:
Nice. That regular training will do wonders for your muscle memory and psyche to the point that it's second nature. I used to train fairly regularly with the police and "others" and it was incredibly fun. "Used to" meaning before multiple jobs and school took over disposable time and income. But the foundation is still there and it's pretty sound.

If possible vid yourself and keep accounting of your progress. It's impossible to measure progress unless there are valid metrics tied to it.

I'm not one that stockpiled ammo before the panic so any training I want to do is going to have to be dry fire or airsoft (which means no training). :)

He actually suggested lots of dryfire practice to help hone in the feel without wasting ammo.

Right before the panic (literally two weeks before), I got a bug up my ass to start stock piling ammo again. I was able to add 2400 rounds of PMC to my depleting collection at home then all hell broke loose. Since I've just been picking up what I can that isn't breaking $0.50/cpr, but it's getting tough. I doubt it'll let up much in the next few months, definitely putting a damper on the range days.

Dry firing = dry humping. The actual act is soooo much better.

On another note, the Trijicon SRS is phenomenal and highly recommended. Tad on the heavy side though. Clear glass, obviously well made, and the red dot doesn't need to go to 10 to be clearly seen.

8db215fc772011e2b9ed22000a1f8cd8_7.jpg

almost finished with these rifles

^ Nice. What's the glass on the middle AR? I could never get used to the MOE handguards for some reason.

Are you building these for sale?

In other news, I'm losing faith in my .308 AR ever getting to me (or rather in time to elk season). So I'm thinking bolt action now. Maybe a Savage 10?

Back