• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Official NSXPO 2010 HPDE Event Information

TAG

Experienced Member
fvloau2.jpg

Welcome everyone to our new page dedicated to the 2010 NSXPO HPDE being held at Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch! I’ll begin by introducing myself, and several others who have key positions in the development and production of this event:

Tom Gaylor – NSXPO 2010 HPDE event coordinator

I’m responsible for the overall direction and logistics of the HPDE. Any questions related to the HPDE can be addressed to me via email*, PM on NSX Prime, or by making a post in this thread. You will get a timely response; and if I don’t know the answer to your question, I’ll find someone who does! I have been participating in HPDE events both locally and in Southern California since 2002, driving my fully-built Acura Integra Type R track car. I’ve been a member of the SCCA since 2002, and have also been a member of the Las Vegas NSX Club for over four years.

* [email protected]

Lance Davis – NSXPO 2010 HPDE assistant event coordinator and driving instructor

My friend Lance Davis will also be working with me on this event. Lance is a certified driving instructor with the PCA (Porsche Club of America), and is also very active in HPDEs locally. Lance has also been a member of the Las Vegas NSX Club for over five years.

Peter Mills – NSXPO 2010 instructor coordinator

Peter is the instructor coordinator for the NSXCA. This is a return engagement for Peter, as he has filled this position for many previous NSXPO HPDEs. Peter is responsible for selecting and developing the pool of driving instructors for this event.

Bruce McPherson – NSXPO 2010 chief driving instructor

Bruce is the chief driving instructor for the NSXCA, and has worked in this capacity since NSXPO 2000 – 2008. Bruce has been running his NSX in road course events since 1992, raced in SCCA FF class for several years, and also races his 911 RSR in PCA club racing events. Bruce is also a certified instructor with the PCA.

The following are some recent changes that will be of interest to everyone attending the HPDE:

The days of the HPDE have changed from Sunday/Monday, October 31st – November 1st to Saturday/Sunday, October 30th – 31st.

There have been some significant improvements in the track layout, and the amenities made available to us by SMMR (Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch). The upgrades to our event are as follows:

We will have the 3.1 mile road course for both days of the event -

3_1mile.jpg

We will have the use of the skid-pad area, where we plan to have a small autocross event. Every effort will be made to avoid schedule conflicts with people participating in both the HPDE and autocross events.

The multi-million dollar club house will be made available for use by our group. The following is an overview of the SMMR club house complex:

• The luxurious 8,000 sq. ft., $3-million resort-style club house features:
o 23-foot, two-story track-side viewing tower
o comfortable lounge equipped with nine plasma-screens, closed-circuit television monitors
o bar, lounge with leather sofas, dining tables
o billiards and poker facilities
o wireless Internet access
o private men’s and women’s locker rooms
o executive conference room
o fully-stocked catering kitchen with massive granite bar and serving area
o spa room with heated massage table and by-appointment services
o 40-foot pool swimming pool and 14-person Jacuzzi
o indoor-outdoor barbecue facilities with beautiful Veranda, cooling misters, oversized cozy seating area, fire pit for those cold desert nights, and grassy knoll.
o 600-square-foot dedicated workout facility with state-of-the-art equipment in free-weights, treadmills, elliptical, and stationary bikes.

More information will be added as it becomes available. Thanks for looking...:smile:

Last edited:
Here are a few videos of Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/F0cHIqHbeXE&hl=en_US&fs=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/F0cHIqHbeXE&hl=en_US&fs=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

<object width="660" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EEXUV1qZCsY&hl=en_US&fs=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EEXUV1qZCsY&hl=en_US&fs=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="405"></embed></object>

Redline Time Attack Spring Mountain Motorsports Ra

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YFxZo4pB_ZE&hl=en_US&fs=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YFxZo4pB_ZE&hl=en_US&fs=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PTBmjEcFeWM&hl=en_US&fs=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PTBmjEcFeWM&hl=en_US&fs=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

As you can see, this is no ordinary race track. :biggrin: Make your NSXPO 2010 Las Vegas experience complete by attending our NSXPO 2010 HPDE at fabulous Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch. This event at SMMR is likely to be the crown-jewel of NSXPO 2010; don't miss-out on the excitement! :smile:

Follow this link for more information about SMMR: http://www.springmountainmotorsports.com/

Last edited:
Jim Coz has relinquished his position as event coordinator due to other obligations, and Billy Johnson needed to move back east at the request of Roush Racing. This situation required Billy to step down as chief driving instructor.
I would like to publicly state that this information is false and that I am disappointed in the actions of the NSXPO organizer Danny Young.

After the falling out with Jim Cozzolino, I was asked by Danny and other NSXPO event organizers to maintain the same role and involvement as Chief Instructor which I was more than happy to do. The NSX community has meant a lot to me personally and as an ex-vendor and as a driver who has represented the community by driving one of the fastest examples ever built on a world stage (the FXMD Unlimited NSX), I was eager to give back to the community in any way I could, and I was really looking forward to being involved in the NSXPO.

While I am aware the NSXPO has been run by a tight nit group of people for many years, I didn't want to interfere or take anyones role. But if I could help benefit the event by my involvment, I would be more than happy to do so. I was assured that they wanted me to be apart of the event and that I wouldn't be stepping on anyone's toes. I was told to wait for further information regarding moving forward with the event. I didn't receive any communication and was left out of the loop.

I met with Danny a little over a week ago at LVMS for the Super Lap Battle event and through my conversations with Danny - clarifying my situation with Roush, my availability to attend the event, and what I walked away with the understanding of still being involved with the same role as was originally discussed.

As an update - I am living in Charlotte, NC now and am working to further my driving career. While I am now a 4 hour flight away from Vegas (compared to a 4 hour drive), my schedule is open to be apart of NSXPO 2010 in Las Vegas which happens to be the home of FXMD and at Spring Mountain -where we set the track record at.

It is unfortunate to see false claims in this thread (that was just recently posted) justifying my relinquished role in NSXPO. I am disappointed that I had to find out by reading this thread that I am no longer involved with the event rather than being contacted by Danny or anyone else earlier. Especially after my conversations with Danny less than two weeks ago.

I apologize for those of you attending the event who I made promises to and who I was looking forward to seeing and working with. As of now, I am not sure what the situation is for me even attending the event, but I wanted to make my own statement rather than having others make them for me.

Billy

I would like to publicly state that this information is false and that I am disappointed in the actions of the NSXPO organizer Danny Young.

After the falling out with Jim Cozzolino, I was asked by Danny and other NSXPO event organizers to maintain the same role and involvement as Chief Instructor which I was more than happy to do. The NSX community has meant a lot to me personally and as an ex-vendor and as a driver who has represented the community by driving one of the fastest examples ever built on a world stage (the FXMD Unlimited NSX), I was eager to give back to the community in any way I could, and I was really looking forward to being involved in the NSXPO.

While I am aware the NSXPO has been run by a tight nit group of people for many years, I didn't want to interfere or take anyones role. But if I could help benefit the event by my involvment, I would be more than happy to do so. I was assured that they wanted me to be apart of the event and that I wouldn't be stepping on anyone's toes. I was told to wait for further information regarding moving forward with the event. I didn't receive any communication and was left out of the loop.

I met with Danny a little over a week ago at LVMS for the Super Lap Battle event and through my conversations with Danny - clarifying my situation with Roush, my availability to attend the event, and what I walked away with the understanding of still being involved with the same role as was originally discussed.

As an update - I am living in Charlotte, NC now and am working to further my driving career. While I am now a 4 hour flight away from Vegas (compared to a 4 hour drive), my schedule is open to be apart of NSXPO 2010 in Las Vegas which happens to be the home of FXMD and at Spring Mountain -where we set the track record at.

It is unfortunate to see false claims in this thread (that was just recently posted) justifying my relinquished role in NSXPO. I am disappointed that I had to find out by reading this thread that I am no longer involved with the event rather than being contacted by Danny or anyone else earlier. Especially after my conversations with Danny less than two weeks ago.

I apologize for those of you attending the event who I made promises to and who I was looking forward to seeing and working with. As of now, I am not sure what the situation is for me even attending the event, but I wanted to make my own statement rather than having others make them for me.

Billy

Billy,

We have never met, but our mutual friend Lance Davis told me that during a conversation with him over the phone, you said "that you have no further involvement with NSXPO." When Lance told me this, it came as a complete shock to me, since I was fully expecting you to continue on in your role as chief driving instructor. I was faced with having to fill your position without delay, and decided to ask for assistance from the NSXCA board. They put me in contact with two highly experienced individuals who could "hit the ground running" so to speak.

Things are moving along smoothly again; as they have with previous NSXPO HPDEs. Had you not told Lance you were no longer involved with NSXPO, I would have never sought assistance from the NSXCA. Unfortunately I can't offer you the chief driving instructor position at this point. I will however be glad to make room for you as an instructor, or you can work with Bruce Mcpherson and Lance, helping with the instructor selection at the local level. In short Billy, we welcome your participation in whatever capacity. I'll send you a PM, and I look forward to your renewed involvement in NSXPO 2010.

Best Regards,

Tom Gaylor

Last edited:
Billy,

We have never met, but our mutual friend Lance Davis told me that during a conversation with him over the phone, you said "that you have no further involvement with NSXPO." When Lance told me this, it came as a complete shock to me, since I was fully expecting you to continue on in your role as chief driving instructor, in spite of Jim's removal by the NSXCA board. I was faced with having to fill your position without delay, and decided to ask for assistance from the NSXCA board. They put me in contact with two highly experienced individuals who could "hit the ground running" so to speak.

Things are moving along smoothly again; as they have with previous NSXPO HPDEs. Had you not told Lance you were no longer involved with NSXPO, I would have never sought assistance from the NSXCA. Unfortunately I can't offer you the chief driving instructor position at this point. I will however be glad to make room for you as an instructor, or you can work with Bruce Mcpherson and Lance, helping with the instructor selection at the local level. In short Billy, we welcome your participation in whatever capacity. I'll send you a PM, and I look forward to your renewed involvement in NSXPO 2010.

Best Regards,

Tom Gaylor
First off, I would like to reiterate that the disagreements between Jim and the NSXPO board is none of my concern and irrelevant to our communication (which you have already stated).

I just got off the phone with Lance and it is unfortunate that miscommunication between me and Lance has caused this problem to arise. I never dismissed myself or told Lance that I "have no further involvement with NSXPO". I believe the miscommunication stemmed from him asking me about many things from my move (to Charlotte) and my driving career, to future with FXMD and private instructing on the west coast, as well as NSXPO. While there were a lot of uncertainties at the time of me initially moving out here to Charlotte, there was nothing foreseeable that would cause a conflict to miss NSXPO. During my conversation with Danny a couple weeks ago, there was even more confidence that there would be no conflicts with the schedule and he did not elude to there being any understanding that I would not maintain the same role at the event..

Having said that, I understand your position and that you made your best decisions based on (unfortunately inaccurate) information that Lance gave you. For the future it is better to talk to me directly than to make decisions on hearsay, I will PM you with my # and email if you don't have it already.

I am disappointed that you and Danny didn't follow up with me since shortly after the falling out with Jim. There was some communication after this event but it was left open-ended with me waiting on the next steps that was going to 'take a few weeks' to get back to me on. It is a bit frustrating that I was not informed of any decisions made since my conversation with Danny a few weeks ago and that I had to find out for myself on this thread.

I think better communication could have prevented a lot of issues. I got your PM and will follow up with you on the next steps.

Billy

Happy Memorial Day everyone! Let's all take a step back everyone. Tom has done a great job taking over for Jim and should be commended for his work and onging efforts. Jim did a great job negotiating the original contract and preparing the Driver's Packet with Billy. Billy may have a bigger role in NSXPO that will not require an iron clad commitment from an organizational point of view. I apologize to all for any misunderstandings and hope we can all move forward in making this a memorable event.

Best Regards,

Danny

Happy Memorial Day everyone! Let's all take a step back everyone. Tom has done a great job taking over for Jim and should be commended for his work and onging efforts. Jim did a great job negotiating the original contract and preparing the Driver's Packet with Billy. Billy may have a bigger role in NSXPO that will not require an iron clad commitment from an organizational point of view. I apologize to all for any misunderstandings and hope we can all move forward in making this a memorable event.

Best Regards,

Danny
Hi Danny,

Thank you for the email. I will follow up with you soon.

Billy

This will be my first NSXPO ever and I had some basic questions that I haven't found on any of the main NSXPO threads.

First off, what is the cost to participate in the HPDE event?

Secondly, how is the event going to be broken down? I am familiar with the HPDE events of NASA region and am an instructor and HPDE 4 Driver. Will the sessions be broken down based on previous track experience?

Any links to the information above would be appreciated!

Thanks in advanced!

Ravi

This will be my first NSXPO ever and I had some basic questions that I haven't found on any of the main NSXPO threads.

First off, what is the cost to participate in the HPDE event?

Secondly, how is the event going to be broken down? I am familiar with the HPDE events of NASA region and am an instructor and HPDE 4 Driver. Will the sessions be broken down based on previous track experience?

Any links to the information above would be appreciated!

Thanks in advanced!

Ravi

Hi Ravi,

I don't know how much the HPDE is going to cost yet either. I'll call Danny to see if the NSXCA board has a number locked-in yet; I'll let you know either way.

Yes, the sessions will be broken down based on an individual's track experience where ever possible. We will have novice, intermediate, and advanced groups, with each instructor assigned to one novice and one intermediate student.

I'm not certain if we are going to send out the driver's package as people register on-line, or if the package will be given to the HPDE attendees when they arrive in LV. I'll let you know on that question as well.

Thanks for you questions,

Tom

Ok thanks much for the response.

If you need any help please let me know.

I enjoy helping! lol

I am happy to use my instruction ability as well.

Ravi

Last edited:
Ok thanks much for the response.

If you need any help please let me know.

I enjoy helping! lol

I am happy to use my instruction ability as well.

Ravi

Ok Ravi thanks! I'll keep your offer in mind. We should have some pricing information available very soon.

Tom

No problem! Being a NASA official, i'm used to helping and feel weird when i'm at a track day and am NOT helping lol

Back