• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

offset question

I'm ready to order Superstar rims from Japan for my '91.
The dealer in Europe told me to take :

17 x 7.5 +39H with 215/40-17 tire for the front
and
18 x 8.5 +39H with 265/35-18 tire for the rear

I'm not smart enough to know that this is the correct set.
Hope there will be no problem with TCS, calipers or rubbing.

Thanks for your replies.

Duke.

duke said:
I'm ready to order Superstar rims from Japan for my '91.
The dealer in Europe told me to take :

17 x 7.5 +39H with 215/40-17 tire for the front
and
18 x 8.5 +39H with 265/35-18 tire for the rear

Sorry, I have no idea about the offset however I am not sure that the 8.5" rear wheels is the best choice for a 265 tire.

I would prefer something like 9.5" or maybe even 10".

Re: Re: offset question

Enzo said:
Sorry, I have no idea about the offset however I am not sure that the 8.5" rear wheels is the best choice for a 265 tire.

I would prefer something like 9.5" or maybe even 10".

I don't know about the offset either, but I believe Enzo is correct about the wheel width. I don't know which brand and model of tire you're considering, but just to cite one example, the Bridgestone S-03 specs say that a 265/35-18 tire can be mounted on wheels with width from 9.0 inches to 10.5 inches, with 9.5 inches optimal.

Yes, after contact with the dealer, it should be

Superstar Leon Hardiritt Bügel

17 x 7.5 + 39 H
18 x 9.5 + 39 H

with Dunlop SP9000 215/40-17 & 265/35-18

Should this be Ok ?
Do you know what the 39 H stands for ?
Is this what is usually mentioned as 'et-value' ?

The site is www.superstar-wheel.com
This is a Japanese wheel, so I suppose they know
the NSX over there :p

duke

When you check their size table http://www.superstar-wheel.com/products/leonhardritt/pdf/bugel_size_price.pdf , I don't see an option for 39mm offset on the 9.5 (or even 10") x 18"
You might consider the +42 in the 9.5, or even go for the +46 in the 10"

Consult the wheel tech FAQ - http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/TireWheel/wheeltech.htm
+40mm on a front 8" x 17" and +45mm on 10" x 18" are well-proven choices, but there can still be variations depending on the wheel manufacturer. As for the caliper clearance there is no guarantee depending on that vendor's particular spoke design.

Why not e-mail SuperStar directly for the appropriate application in their opinion? mailto:[email protected]

Bottom line is you are breaking new ground for this application on an NSX - that vendor typically caters for vans & SUVs it appears. You might just be safer to select a similar looking wheel from something already proven to fit - I think you will find some very similar choices as your browse the wheel & tire forum.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, a friend of mine here in Switzerland bought a set of SuperStar G-Craft 18"/19" wheels for his NSX and had some issues with the brakes clearance because of a wrong offset.

Gheba, can you confirm if it's true that Lino had a problem with his rear wheels or if I am totally wrong ?

Txs d'Ecosse, but now I'm really confused. I've been looking for a
long time now to find chromed rims but nothing I like is available
here, and, of course, I want something exclusive.
However, I had some heavy discussions with the importer here because he told me I had to wait 4 months for delivery. I told hem I would buy another brand from another importer.So I e-mailed with Japan and the next day I reveived a mail from the importer of our neighbour-country that the company in Japan
would give me a special price and treatment because I told them
about the lazy-ness(?) of our importer. They shall deliver within
six weeks and as I calculated, a discount of about 200 us dollars
a piece !!!!!!!!
And also they look nice, I'll try to post a photo shoot picture.
duke.

Enzo said:
... and had some issues with the brakes clearance because of a wrong offset....

Common mis-conception Enzo: Issues with caliper clearance have little to do with the offset - the spoke design of the particular wheels is what causes the problem. As offset changes, the relationship of the wheel hub (& thus the rotor & caliper) to the wheel flange & spokes remains unchanged - the rim of the wheel effectively moves laterally across the plane of the hub i.e. further into or out of the wheel well. That is why for any given offset, some wheels work & others don't - or why some wheels will work with big brake kits & others have difficult time with stock.

Now, just because that particular SuperStar model wheel had clearance issues, does not mean the one that Duke is considering will not work- of course there's no guarantee it will either!

Check at this site - http://www.takakaira.com/rimsandtyres/rimsandtyresindex.asp for some ideas on alternatives in case you are still not sure.
(I found some but the long links don't work well on this forum)

Work VSXX might be a safe bet & very similar design - I think that has been tried on NSX.

Volks Prestige has something similar (III & IIII) & also Manaray Sports.

None of these options too cheap however - if you see something you like on Takakaira, it might be worth shopping around some of the other Japanes sites for prices. Rays & Teiwa are competitive usually

Last edited:
thanks d'Ecosse & Enzo for your technical info.
The wheels you proposed however, don't have the bright shining rim and the silver polish finish.
Japan just faxed a pattern to my (new)that we can use to be sure.
We're gonna try that.

Going to try this offset :

7.5x 17 et 39 with standard disk 19 mm to clear calipers
and
9.5 x 18 et 42 with standard disk 57 mm

As I was informed, there is low, high and standard disk, low
is not possible with brembo or porsche brakes, but with a stock
NSX it should go.
I'll let you know.

For Dutch members who happen to read this, I'm currently
working with J&R Car design from Ridderkerke.

Duke.

duke.

Back