• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Oil leak identification help

It seems I have a small leak. Not big as I have no oil consumption nor drops on the floor. But if you look at the pics you see that my rear cylinder bank is stained from over the right cylinder exhaust tube to the oil pan. What is strange is that the stain is a line that is alligned with the left end of my inner transmission shaft bellow. So I think about grease coming from here but it seems to liquid to be grease.

Do you have any other idea of the cause ?

leak_001.jpg

leak_002.jpg

leak_003.jpg

leak_004.jpg

leak_005.jpg

Thanks. What are the plugs you replaced on the last pic in your thread ?

qa3ygaqy.jpg

The 3 lower near the oil pan ?
The right one correpond to the plug you see on this picture :
leak_002.jpg

if its pretty hard and a little sticky it may be the crank sensor. mine worked but the crank sensor in the back side is filled with some silicon/epoxy that eventually melted away and looks like oil. wished i kept a picture of what the sensor looked like after it was removed.

- - - Updated - - -

attachment.php
found a picture on prime of what happens to the crank sensor which makes it look like a oil leak. hope this helps

Did you notice a line of grease on the inside of the heat shield for the CV boot when it took it off?

No more heat shield around the boot. But as I have exactly the same stain on the gear box on the left size also aligned with the bellow, it is shure it is just the grease of it.

That should be repaired as well. The grease is broken down and needs replacement with a new boot. I typically will remove the driveshaft and replace both ends.

HTH,
LarryB

No more heat shield around the boot. But as I have exactly the same stain on the gear box on the left size also aligned with the bellow, it is shure it is just the grease of it.

Back