• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Oil pan removal - what else to replace?

Falcon Heights, MN - no Falcons - no Heights
I am installing headers and I think my pan gasket may have leaks,
so I am going to replace just because it is right there.
(like one other poster - I have a slight - maybe 1/2" dip in the bottom of my pan - armadillo?)

Is there anything else to look at / replace under the pan once it is pulled.
(I will be sure to look at my oil intake to make sure it looks OK).

TIA - Al

I did a few things when I installed my headers.

Changed the oil pan gasket as you are doing
Wrapped the new longer O2 sensor cables with black flex wire covers and zip tied them away from the hot headers.
Covered every nut and bolt with neverseize.

And I wished I had replaced my 22 year old A/C compressor while I was in there because I have to take the beam out etc. and do it now :mad:
If your A/C is at all dodgy, now is the time to do the compressor and the belt bearing.

I did a few things when I installed my headers.

Changed the oil pan gasket as you are doing
Wrapped the new longer O2 sensor cables with black flex wire covers and zip tied them away from the hot headers.
Covered every nut and bolt with neverseize.

And I wished I had replaced my 22 year old A/C compressor while I was in there because I have to take the beam out etc. and do it now :mad:
If your A/C is at all dodgy, now is the time to do the compressor and the belt bearing.
+1 on that.
I'd also clean and inspect the oil-strainer, just to be sure.
Heat wrapping the 02 cables is a good point as well.

Thanks JD / Adnan,

Was going to inspect the strainer - because of the bump in the pan.
JD - what did you use to wrap your cables - the connectors are kind of big for most of the sleeving I see.
I had started looking into this but have been too busy (bolt a day) removing my exhaust.

Thanks JD / Adnan,
JD - what did you use to wrap your cables - the connectors are kind of big for most of the sleeving I see.
I had started looking into this but have been too busy (bolt a day) removing my exhaust.

I know what you mean by bolt a day. It took me weeks to install the headers.
Here's two pics of the wire wrap. It's the black plastic stuff that is split so you can slip it over the wires then zip tie it along to keep it closed.
Because the front bank O2 sensor is mounted much lower on headers than the oem set-up I think a cover protects the wires from rocks and other road debris.

DSC02364.jpg

DSC02365.jpg

Last edited:
Yup that's a good one seen issue with that before,
and if cables come near the header:
prod_spb_banner.jpg

Ahh - baffle - Some guy sold a new pan that he had just installed a baffle - I looked - snoozed - missed.
I think about this one. - My wife just checked the bank account and wondered if I was keeping track of what I was spending.

Ahh - baffle - Some guy sold a new pan that he had just installed a baffle - I looked - snoozed - missed.
I think about this one. - My wife just checked the bank account and wondered if I was keeping track of what I was spending.

If I remember correctly, the SOS baffle is only $40.

If you can afford the down time, I wouldn't be surprised if SOS would be willing to weld it into your pan for you after you ship it in. Worth a shot to ask.

Back