• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Oil system for turbo cars...

Oil system for turbo NSX's...

I'm new to turbocharging NSX's but I've been dealing with factory turbo cars for years now. I was wondering what kind of oil system do turbo NSX's use? Is there a seperate sump needed or can you tap from say the head or block? (for either oil or water cooled turbo setups). I've been wondering this for awhile now and to those who use a seperate oil tank, where do you tap the block and is there a seperate oil pump needed? Thanks.

Conor

Last edited:
I would like to find out solid solution too. But it looks like what ever works for you.

Personally I burned one turbocharger on my NSX with seperate oil circulation. The oil pump has to have volt regulator or some creative piping or good tech, so on idle the oil will not gash out throught the turbo oil seal. But it also depends on how big the turbocharger oil chamber is. I hear that taping to high oil pressure sensor then to ----> turbocharger to ----> seperate oil tank to ----> electric oil pump to ----> oil cooler to ----> oil pan. Is the BEST way. Sounds good but there is many points of failure on custom install but if done right I think it is the best way. IMO

What work for me is just line in from hight pressure to ----> turbocharger to ----> oil pan. The angle on the return is snall and I was expecting oil backing up but I just used big return line and it worked good.

Diffrent tunners might have diffrent designs.

Winreboot -

What kit were you using? Was the turbo placed above the engine or below it? Being placed below and behind the block would seem to be the easiest to tap for a return there on the oil pan and would make for less lag IMO with a shorter exhaust route...It's so much easier when it comes turbo from the factory :( But thank you for some more insight. The one design that I am thinking of is from a guy in Washington state. I can't remember his SN (I think his name is Ray though), but he had a red X with Advan rims. His setup used a seperate oil tank with the turbo sitting where the muffler normally would be. It's late and I'm probably not coherent right now, maybe in the morning I'll make more sense.

Conor

It is a custm made turbo kit. Fitment was made as pipes wore being welded. Turbo in under trunk closer to right side behind the block. Once oem exhoust is taken out there is some space for turbocharger and pipe routing. For custom tunners turbo fabrications should not be difficult. IMO the log on NSX is next to nothing on turbo application. It is only on paper, but when you drive the car the power band is anormus. The turbocharger is close to 3" exhaust so it breatchs easily. The week link on NSX is pistons. They will go first. Change them to low comp forged aluminum. (9:1) IMO

I am using twin turbos and the previous oil return led to oil blowing through the seals. I think that part of the problem is that the oil pressure on the NSX is very high so restrictors are necessary or an in-line oil pressure regulator. Tapping to high oil pressure sensor then to ----> turbocharger to ----> seperate oil tank to ----> electric oil pump to ----> oil return (Upper valve cover) was the previous system in my car and because of oiling issues, I didn't have the car at XPO. After some work, currently the sytem is turbochargers to ----> seperate oil tank to ----> electric oil pump to ----> turbochargers. I have a separate oil pressure guage for the turbo system and I am hopeful that I can avoid burn out by careful monitoring of the pressure. I am not using any restrictors or oil pressure regulators in the system. I anticipate that I will be adding an oil cooler in the near future and possibly 2 electric pumps for redundancy. If one pump goes, then the oil pressure will drop but the other pump should be enough to keep both turbos lubricated. I have around 1000 miles on my current system and have driven the car pretty hard at times with no problems. Tim

jorligan said:
I am using twin turbos and the previous oil return led to oil blowing through the seals. I think that part of the problem is that the oil pressure on the NSX is very high so restrictors are necessary or an in-line oil pressure regulator. Tapping to high oil pressure sensor then to ----> turbocharger to ----> seperate oil tank to ----> electric oil pump to ----> oil return (Upper valve cover) was the previous system in my car and because of oiling issues, I didn't have the car at XPO. After some work, currently the sytem is turbochargers to ----> seperate oil tank to ----> electric oil pump to ----> turbochargers. I have a separate oil pressure guage for the turbo system and I am hopeful that I can avoid burn out by careful monitoring of the pressure. I am not using any restrictors or oil pressure regulators in the system. I anticipate that I will be adding an oil cooler in the near future and possibly 2 electric pumps for redundancy. If one pump goes, then the oil pressure will drop but the other pump should be enough to keep both turbos lubricated. I have around 1000 miles on my current system and have driven the car pretty hard at times with no problems. Tim
nice, i like how that is setup, recycle the oil. hmmm i might have to try that one day

Back