• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

OMG my flywheel gear came off!!!

Guys, I am really Sh$@#ing bricks. 1500 miles ago(2 months)I had Mark Basch install shortgears, 4.55 and a Dali StreetRacer Clutch for $7,500. A few days ago I heard some intermittent squeaking, then the following day the car would not start. It sounded just like a bad bendix on the starter, when I attempted to start it.

SO, I bought a replacement starter and proceeded to remove my old one which seemed to look just fine. THEN THIS: I checked my flywheel ring gear(the gear that the starter motor turns). IT HAS COME OFF THE FLYWHEEL AND IS ROTATING LOOSELY IN THE TRANNY CAVITY!!

Apparently the flywheel ring gear is simply pressure fitted onto a tapered edge of the flywheel, no bolt, rivets, no index keyway..nothing.

Has anyone else had this nightmare of a problem? Will the tranny have to come out for a new flywheel, or can the ring gear be put back on while the flywheel is in the tranny? AND MOST IMPORTANT: WHY did this happen???

TIA, I appreciate the help in this matter.

Regards,
Justin

I had the same thing happen on my 95 3yrs ago. Never found out why, but my dealer made it right. I think I remember hearing that some changes were made to keep that from happening but I can't be sure. I'm only responding to let you know that your weren't alone.

Thanks for the reply Chuck. Good to know I am not the only one. I did a search on the forums to see if anyone else had been in the same predicament as me. Didn't find anything that was related, of course my concern grew further.

Regards,
Justin

I know this is obvious - but have you talked to Mark B. or Mark J.?

IMO anything like this with the "Marks" involvement is like US T Bonds - not specifically insured but damn well might as well be.

------------------
Nick M

91' Red/Black with Many Mods
99' Honda Odyssey with Many Kids

I talked to Jane yesterday, she said Mark was in Texas and would call me. Mark did call me this morning as a matter of fact. Sadly, I missed his call. I feel confident that he stands up to his work. Until I actually talk to him, I feel like a concerned relative waiting outside the operating room, biting my nails, waiting for the surgeon to come out and give me the "news". Not to mention I am currently in Missouri, and Basch is 1,260 miles away. I will keep you guys posted after I get to speak with the "Doctor".

Regards,
Justin

snyper2727
did you get the lite flywheel with your street racer clutch? its important as I did and am getting a squeak on launch and have thought it was my thrust washer.but if you got the new fly it may be that and help me pinpoint the issue.if your fly is stock I guess I am still stumped
good luck,MJ MB will take care of you
best regards david

Did you get a flywheel with the clutch? Even if yes, I don't think it was the "feather-light" version because that's a 1-piece unit so nothing to come loose. If you still have your original flywheel then there really is no blame for the Marks to shoulder. If the flywheel was replaced then MB is still clear since it can’t really be an install issue but Mark/Dali may want to take care of you.

David, probably not related to your problem because the ring gear is totally uninvolved except when the starter motor is engaged.

I have the dali clutch, dali lightweight flywheel in my car for 2 years now and mine just started to get squeaky when launching on slopes.

Maybe it's time for a new clutch?

I just got off the phone with MB. He was kind enough to send me a flywheel at no charge. I originally spoke with Jane there. It bothers me that someone on the forums read my thread, and took the time to call Jane and say I was speaking ill about MB in this thread. I in no way have ever spoken poorly of MB in this thread , or any other time. It's a shame that people can be so quick to mis-judge. Thanks for your help MB, and to all who have given me advice in this thread.

Regards,
Justin

The starter ring gear came off the flywheel of my '91 in May of 1991, when the car had 800 miles on it. They replaced the entire clutch under warranty.

Chuck and I are the only ones I've heard of who have experienced this problem.

This has happened before, and has nothing to do with the installer as you've noted.The force the starter motor puts on the flywheel is tremendous. It is very rare, but the cars are running 12+ years old now, and parts will fatigue.

-- Chris

------------------
Revolutionize your NSX with ScienceofSpeed
www.ScienceofSpeed.com | [email protected] | 877-863-4520

Back