• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

On the road to perfection

On the road to perfection - My '92 R77 euro spec.

I figured it was time for me to start a project thread also. So here goes!

May 2009:
nsx_pg3-2009_2.jpg

When i purchased it - june 2006.
nsx_2006.jpg

More pictures here! (In swedish)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current modifications:
- *Wings West "W-type" bodykit.
- *Advanti Racing "Cobra" 17/18 wheels.
- *Ferrita of Sweden stainless exhaust sys.
- *NSX-logo interior carpets (not OEM Honda).*

- JDM '02 tail lights.
- NSX-R "H" emblem front & rear.
- NSX-R titanium shift knob (Dali).
- NSX-R shift boot.
- NSX-R pedals.
- NSX-R manifold cover plate.
- NSX-R manifold cover.
- S2000 style antenna (SharkAttack II).
- S2000 clear side merkers.
- S2000 start button.
- Polished gauge rings (Science of speed).
- AIS snorkel (Downforce).
- H&R springs & Bilstein struts. (1,5" drop)
- Gruppe M special air cleaner for NSX.
- Carbon/lexan engine cover (Downforce).
- Carbon RWG (Downforce).
- Marga Hills rear diffuser.
- Carbon B-pillar covers (Procar Specials).
- GT-One F1 sound v5.1 SS exhaust sys.
- Custom fitted Hamann PG3 18/19 wheels.

- C-quence "Ultimate Cross" rotors.
- Project Mu B-spec brake pads.
- Goodridge SS brake lines.

- Door inserts in red perforated Alcantara.

*Installed when i purchased the car.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Next up:

LED/DRL conversion for front combination lamps.

Last edited:
Front combination lamps - LED/DRL conversion

So i have started this little project to convert my front combination lamps to LED/DRL. I have obtained a second set of lamps that will be converted.

Finding a 12V LED solution that give the right look in terms of my desired amount of LEDs, luminosity, color temp AND being fairly easy to install was a challenge.
After much research, i have decided on a solution and i just ordered the LED's.

I will use a full single row bar of cool-white (Color temp 6500k - same as Audi OEM) LED's for DRL and one row of amber LED's for turn signal.
The LED bars are 3mm thick SMD tri-chip type and each LED has a light output of 15 lumen. Because the bars are so thin, making a true full row lamp wont be a problem.
That way one NSX combination lamp can fit 18 LED's in a row = 270 lumen light output for one lamp.

For reference, the new Audi A4 uses 14 OSRAM TOPLED 18 lumen diodes for each headlight = 252 lumen total.

Last edited:
I'd like see what you come up with for the NSX. I noodle with led's too.
Brain Dump commencing:

The phillips/lumiled/luxeon/altilon leds: http://www.philipslumileds.com/pdfs/DS66.pdf . Are fearsome beasts at 800 lumens per device. (as featured in the R8's forward lighting). But present some serious constraints.

Where does once source the good stuff? I haven't even scored samples as Audi has scooped them all up

Drive current: The current/temp curve makes a resistor ballast drive circuit suboptimal; so that leaves active current regulation. A single LM317 in current reg mode may handle the drop. How far are you going to push each device? Variable brightness lighting?

Thermal: Along with the current control circuits. The dies get righteously hot; and don't act well after 40C. The heat sinks have to be thermally massive and are often actively cooled. I'm imagining a lighting intercooler port :wink: . Where are you going to put the heat?

Optics: Are you going to collimate or diffuse the output? the default lambertian output distribution is not suitable for either indication or forward lighting. I've been playing with a folded paraellipsoidal reflector that keeps the heated dies 90deg away from the exit aperture; but it's tetchy to get the alignment right.

Placement: Do you have an idea of what It'll look like on the car. It would be neat to hack up the pop ups with 1k lumen forward lighing rayguns. The stock 65w halogens struggle to keep contrast on the road against oncoming HID lamps. Could hide the artillery in the foglamp bays?

Anybody have DXF's or voxel scans of an NSX, or just the headlamps to put into a ray tracer? Do I have to be the first to scan an NSX?

Sorry, but im just a novice in this matter. Your questions are way over my head. :redface:

My initial approach was to use Luxeon high power LED's but since i found out what LED's Audi actually are using for their DRL's i abandoned that approach. You dont need remotely as much power as the Luxeon (Rebel/K2's) LED's can push to duplicate the Audi DRL's.

Audi uses 14 OSRAM Advanced Power TOPLEDs at 18 lumen each for the A4 DRL's. The RS6 (And now A6?) DRL's uses 10 OSRAM Golden DRAGON high-power LEDs at 50 lumen each.*

And not having to use as powerful LED's simplifies thing alot.

*Source: Stylish and safe: LED daytime running light for the Audi A4

NICE!!!
Where did you put the S2000 start button? Pics please... Was it easy to install?

why did you take the headlight sprayer nozzels off. we dont have them here in the USA, wish we did its cool looking

NICE!!!
Where did you put the S2000 start button? Pics please... Was it easy to install?

NSX-s2000button.jpg

Install took some time but was fairly easy. There is a D-I-Y somewhere on prime. Do a search.

why did you take the headlight sprayer nozzels off. we dont have them here in the USA, wish we did its cool looking
The grass is always greener i guess... =)

I think the lines look cleaner without them.

Re: Front combination lamps - LED/DRL conversion

Quick update...

TODAY i recieved my LED modules from heroledstore.com. Only took two months to get here. :mad:

Have'nt tried them yet. Let's hope the are working so i can continue my project.

So i have started this little project to convert my front combination lamps to LED/DRL. I have obtained a second set of lamps that will be converted.

Finding a 12V LED solution that give the right look in terms of my desired amount of LEDs, luminosity, color temp AND being fairly easy to install was a challenge.
After much research, i have decided on a solution and i just ordered the LED's.

I will use a full single row bar of cool-white (Color temp 6500k - same as Audi OEM) LED's for DRL and one row of amber LED's for turn signal.
The LED bars are 3mm thick SMD tri-chip type and each LED has a light output of 15 lumen. Because the bars are so thin, making a true full row lamp wont be a problem.
That way one NSX combination lamp can fit 18 LED's in a row = 270 lumen light output for one lamp.

For reference, the new Audi A4 uses 14 OSRAM TOPLED 18 lumen diodes for each headlight = 252 lumen total.

The grass is always greener i guess... =)

I think the lines look cleaner without them.

Mike, I agree with you concerning the headlight spray heads. Much cleaner look without them. Additionally, you probably increase the top speed by .0073 mph!!!

Back