• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Only 10 vehicles are considered "American Made"

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/why-t...e-vehicles-keeps-shrinking-1599031257/+travis

Why The List Of 'American-Made' Vehicles Keeps Shrinking
Andrew P Collins
Yesterday 10:05am

The Ford F-150 topped Cars.com's ninth "American-Made Index" which rates how "American" vehicles are based primarily on where they're built and where parts come from. Only ten 2014 vehicles were eligible for the list, the smallest crop ever.

That's right, according to Cars.com's criteria, there are only ten American-made cars and trucks. Or Canadian made, as Congress' 1992 American Automobile Labeling Act considers our northern neighbors to be "domestic" producers.

Cars.com Editor-In-Chief Patrick Olsen told Autoblog "In 2013, 14 cars met the threshold, 20 in 2012 and 30 cars the year before that. This consistent decline points to global nature of cars these days. Production in the US is up, but parts are coming from all over the world, making the notion of classifying cars as 'American' more difficult than ever."

America's most popular car, the Toyota Camry built in Kentucky and Indiana, is apparently the second vehicle with the most American-made parts.

The Chevrolet Corvette, Honda Ridgeline, Honda Crosstour and Dodge SRT Viper meet the American-Made Index for the first time in 2014.

Here's the complete list, explained by Cars.com:

"Cars.com's American-Made Index rates vehicles built and bought in the U.S. Factors include the percentage of parts considered domestic under federal regulations, whether the car is assembled in the U.S. and U.S. sales. We disqualify models with a domestic-parts content rating below 75 percent, models built exclusively outside the U.S. or models soon to be discontinued without a U.S.-built successor."

Rank Make/Model U.S. Assembly Location Last Rank
1 Ford F-150 Dearborn, Mich.;Claycomo, Mo. 1
2 Toyota Camry Georgetown, Ky.;Lafayette, Ind. 2
3 Honda Odyssey Lincoln, Ala. 4
4 Toyota Sienna Princeton, Ind. 5
5 Toyota Tundra San Antonio, Texas 7
6 Toyota Avalon Georgetown, Ky. 10
7 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Bowling Green, Ky. —
8 Honda Ridgeline Lincoln, Ala. —
9 Honda Crosstour East Liberty, Ohio —
10 Dodge SRT Viper Detroit

Obviously, the Big Three aren't very well represented with Honda and Toyota pretty much running this board.

It seems ever-increasing globalization of the auto industry will continue to make this list shorter, unless American labor starts getting a whole lot cheaper or taxation regulations change.

793812302320542242.jpg

not surprised at all most new cars actually have a percentage on the window sticker saying 20% made in 15% made in etc.

I would never buy an American vehicle which is sad as I am red blooded white guy from the south LOL very sad.

I wouldn't mind getting an F150 though they are in my blood.

Yeah, Tesla probably has the highest USA content.

If self-driving cars take off, my guesses are:
1. No one will care about 'cool' cars anymore
2. No one will care about fast cars anymore
3. Cars will be made more by Samsung/Google than by GM/Ford, and probably 99.999% by robots in another country.

So while it sucks that American car companies don't make cars in America anymore, I bet in 20 years all the major car makers are gone anyway.

not surprised at all most new cars actually have a percentage on the window sticker saying 20% made in 15% made in etc.

I would never buy an American vehicle which is sad as I am red blooded white guy from the south LOL very sad.

I wouldn't mind getting an F150 though they are in my blood.

2014 FX4 super crew is my next purchase.

Last edited:
^^^ I've read that's going to change soon though. They're trying to make it more American.

The Toyota Tundra and Tacoma are built here in San Antonio. According to the NHTSA, the Tundra's parts are 75% American made and the Tacoma's parts are 70% American made. Most of those parts are also made in San Antonio as the suppliers are located adjacent to the facility. I wonder why the Tacoma didn't make the list.

Last edited:
Well Picky picky picky.

Back