• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Opinion: gratuity for auto xport?

So Im having a car shipped from CA to PA. Pretty big ticket service. My instinct tells me a gratuity is probably appropriate (assuming the car gets here in one piece!), but Im not sure.

If it is customary to tip these xport guys, how much would make sense? Looking for any and all opinions... Thanks! Cost of the xport is $1800, btw.

Personally I would tip the guy a nice crisp one hundred dollar bill once the car is in my driveway under two conditions. You are satisfied with the way the car was handled and the driver's attitude during the unloading process.

I transport your butt from city A to city B at 540 mph in a little aluminum tube - no one ever tips me. Hell, 95% of people never even thank me. :tongue:

Personally I would tip the guy a nice crisp one hundred dollar bill once the car is in my driveway under two conditions. You are satisfied with the way the car was handled and the driver's attitude during the unloading process.

I might try $50 before the trip (incentive to do the best) and $50 WHEN it arrives..."THANKS"

I transport your butt from city A to city B at 540 mph in a little aluminum tube - no one ever tips me. Hell, 95% of people never even thank me. :tongue:

I was thinking $100 also...

I ALWAYS say thanks to the pilot! But Im a terrified flier (and I fly a lot... LOL)

I figure Im lucky to be alive everytime I land so the least I can do is say thanks :D

How about I buy you a drink after my next flight! :biggrin:

Next time I'll be sure to go to the cockpit door and bang on it so I can say thank you.

Both times I had a car transported across country, it did not even occur to me to tip the guy.

But if it had, I might have given him $50 if he was courteous and seemed to care if the car was in good shape from the trip. Why not?

I will never understand tipping someone for doing their job unless they live on tips (servers, volunteer guides at non-profit centers).

CL65 Cap makes a great point. We don't tip doctors, road workers, HOA workers, pilots, the guy making $6.00 an hour at Wal-Mart that shows you were the bathroom is when you just ran around in a circle trying to find the damn bathroom after the one in the front is closed for cleaning. There are so many people that do their job to make our life better but get jack squat for a tip.

I'm not tipping anyone anymore for doing their job ~ they are suppose to do their job. The van drivers for the hotels get all pissy when I don't tip them a dollar when they were 20 minutes + late picking us up. I did the BWI overnight all last month, came in at the exact same time every night, everynight the van driver made us wait 20+ minutes and the hotel is a block away. F- him and every other slacker that thinks people should tip even when they provide shitty service.

i'm not tipping anyone anymore for doing their job ~ they are suppose to do their job. The van drivers for the hotels get all pissy when i don't tip them a dollar when they were 20 minutes + late picking us up. I did the bwi overnight all last month, came in at the exact same time every night, everynight the van driver made us wait 20+ minutes and the hotel is a block away. F- him and every other slacker that thinks people should tip even when they provide shitty service.

Amen!

I guess I am part of the minority here. I also tipped the guy that dynoed my car $20 because they were very careful with my car during the whole process.

I see nothing wrong with tipping someone who goes beyond the normal care & effort required to do their job.

It's equitable to me buying my employees lunch once in a while because I know they are making more effort than it would take to simply keep being employed.

Back