• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Opinion on Weekend Car - the intangibles

I have been a member/lurker here for a few years and value the opinion and feedback of this community. I was hoping to get some opinions and advice surrounding my situation.

I am looking to purchase my first enthusiast sports car in the spring. The car will be used for weekend getaways, track days several times a year, taken care of obsessively, and driven to cars and coffee every Sunday morning that I am in town.

My budget is 40k-45k. I am looking at cars that will be coming off their leases, so the 2009 MY's. The cars on my radar right now are.....

Porsche Cayman S
Cadillac CTS-V
BMW M3

The intangibles of these cars are what I am most interested in. Specifically...

What are local owners doing? Track days? Driving Schools? Weekend cruises?
Reliability and after market support?
Official owners association? ex Porsche PCA chapters
How is the online community?

I enjoy meeting new people that share a passion for their cars and enjoy driving them as they were intended. With all that said what car offers the best experience?

Last edited:
Cayman S or Boxster S seems the obvious choice(specially if you put PCA into the equation). If you plan to be a dedicated track guy then I would consider stretching the budget a bit to see if you can find a 996 GT3. Yes it is older but it is a street legal track car. The other advantage is that it would get some attention at C&C. C&C is fun until you start drooling at all the other nice cars and decide you need to upgrade.:wink:

M3 would be my 2nd choice. The brakes are quite weak so you would need to upgrade it if you plan to seriously track the car.

Why not a Z06 or a Grandsport? Great bang for the buck, Huge community and track ready.

Any particular reason that a NSX isn't on the list?

I drove the Cayman and it was a lot of fun and very inexpensive for what you get (in my opinion). The storage space is a little weird (the NSX trunk is much more functional for my uses), but not impossible to live with. You are always stuck with the roof on though which was a drawback for me. For the weekend get aways, the ability to pop the top off and enjoy the sun is a big plus. One of the only downsides to the Cayman is the 911 as people will always look at the Cayman and say "why didn't you just spend a little more and get a 911?" While I believe there are a large number of great answers to that question, that doesn't stop the question from being asked over and over. Especially if you are planning to hit C&C and track days. That type of thing may or may not bother you, just saying that at some point in your Cayman ownership that question will naturally creep up on you.

The M3 is a fabulous car and full of power & practicality. For me though the reason i have never had any interest in it can be summed up by an experience from just this weekend. I went out to dinner with the in-laws and we parked directly behind a M3 in the parking lot. I knew what it was, but to everyone else in the car it was just a silver car (they might not have even noticed it was a BMW). Some cars are "all show and no go" but the M3 for me will always be "all go and no show". Granted, that can be nice when on vacation and you don't want the attention that a red NSX brings to a motel parking lot, but my inner peacock just couldn't live with that sort of combination.

Don't know anything about the Cadillac - never really considered it.

C&C is fun until you start drooling at all the other nice cars and decide you need to upgrade
Hearing this from an owner of a MP4-12C brings a tear to my eye despite knowing it is true. If I ever find myself in the presence of Ritesh's MP4-12C though, I will be sure to spill plenty of drool on it to hopefully make him feel better (although I suspect the drool will be an involuntary response...)

Based on what you said and a $40-45k budget, I would say M3 all the way!

It's the best mix of fun/spirited driving and still a well respected car with a strong community sense. I made a lot of friends in my m3 days that I still keep in touch with. They are a great group.

I never consider any Cadillac a weekend car, it's a DD or mule for shuttling passengers. Same goes for the Porsche. If you want a P-car, look for a GT3 if you want something special.

$40-45k gets you a lot of cool cars, why not an NSX? I only ask because you are on a NSX forum and looking at other cars????

Hrmm, a lot of things to sort out here.

Both the BMW and the Porsche will have great online support. The CTS-V I'm sure will have a good community, but as its a newer car it might take a few years.

If the car were to be used mainly for track days, I would say Porsche.

But since you want to do a fair amount of street driving including getaways(presumably with other people) the space that the M provides is nice. As well as a very well done interior and a nice ride, and a track ready suspension, brakes, engine, driveline, etc. Not that the Cayman is miserable to drive around the streets, but it is small, its only a 2 seater, and it storage size is limited.

When I put 700 miles on a E90 M3 from Tennessee to Minnesota I walked away very impressed with the way the car ate up the miles with easy and got back to MN with no stiffness or soreness. I also went from being impartial to the interior to coming away being thoroughly impressed by it.

The CTS-V I don't have much experience with aside from reading online. So I will let someone who has owned one of those speak up.

Thanks for the input so far. The reason the nsx is not on the lisT is that I would want a 1999+ MY and the prices are a little higher than my budget allows. It's too bad because this group is very knowledgeable and eager to help. I am sure there are members in the dc metro area too but I have really only seen 2 at the weekly meets.

The vette is always the best bang for the buck, but I want something a little more refined and with a nicer interior.

A few people mentioned that the cayman might get the questions about "why not a 911" in the Porsche circles. All that makes no difference to me, Ill be upgrading my whole life, this is just the start. My vehicles thus far have been pseudo sports oriented .. First gen tsx and first gen RDX. This next car will be a substantial jump in performance for me.

The BMW community is huge and there are many driving events at the track. However I have not read good things about maintenance and upgrading to make track ready requires some investment.

I will start looking at what shape 996 gt3 45k can buy. Any others to add?

My buddy has a CTS-V wagon and it is amazing. He did the stage 2 upgrades it has almost 600 wheel.....but sadly that also would be out of your budget. M3 is a cool car and has a lot of supporting mods since it is such a popular platform. Cayman to me me just looks like a turtle...lol.

Thanks for the input so far. The reason the nsx is not on the lisT is that I would want a 1999+ MY and the prices are a little higher than my budget allows. It's too bad because this group is very knowledgeable and eager to help. I am sure there are members in the dc metro area too but I have really only seen 2 at the weekly meets.
What meets have you been going to? Katie's can be a little hit or miss, but I often pop in there. Fair Lakes tends to have a pretty solid turn out, check the DC forum for some details there. With the upcoming great weather in the area, I am going to try to get out and about a little bit.

I'd say that 40-45k could get you a 99+ if you keep your eyes open and aren't looking for perfection. Especially if you are looking for a driving car rather than a pristine museum piece. It may take a while to find compared to the other cars on your list though as there are simply fewer NSXs around.

Why a 1999+? Why not 1997+?
There are no significant differences between the 1997 and 1998 models from the 1999.
http://nsxprime.com/wiki/Changes_by_Year

I make it to Katie's once a month, but my regular is church of the holy donut. Its in burtonsville right across the Howard county line in Montgomery county off rt 29. There have been 100+ cars there consistently through the fall, but it has been thin the last few weekends.

True about 1997+, I'll keep looking. I fear the nsx is too low and in my community the curbs pulling into the driveways are dangerously sloped. My wife has pulled the front bumper off the tsx when it's not pulled in at a perfect angle. Ride height is a consideration but not a deciding factor.

The 09+ cts v is a beast, I could get in the door with my budget but no room for mods.

I make it to Katie's once a month, but my regular is church of the holy donut.
Never been, so I'd be up for maybe heading up there this weekend if the weather is what they say it is going to be. Still people showing up in the winter months? You planning on being there this weekend?

I'm lucky but nobody has ever asked me why I didn't buy a 911 instead of a cayman. My NSX ownership and love of MR cars in general probably helps with that. I've mentioned elsewhere that the cayman is also WAY more practical than one might assume. The fact that it has two trunks and feels deceptively roomy inside are really nice and allow it to work really well for weekend getaways, assuming you only have a single passenger. If you're planning to do trackdays and generally drive it hard, I'd also say porsche > bmw in terms of maintenance costs. Recent BMWs seem to be riddled with "gremlins". That said, if you need more than 2 people, an M3 would be a top choice. Both online communities are very strong.

Based on all of that, I'd choose:
1) Cayman
2) M3
3) CTS-V (or Corvette)

I'm lucky but nobody has ever asked me why I didn't buy a 911 instead of a cayman. My NSX ownership and love of MR cars in general probably helps with that. I've mentioned elsewhere that the cayman is also WAY more practical than one might assume. The fact that it has two trunks and feels deceptively roomy inside are really nice and allow it to work really well for weekend getaways, assuming you only have a single passenger. If you're planning to do trackdays and generally drive it hard, I'd also say porsche > bmw in terms of maintenance costs. Recent BMWs seem to be riddled with "gremlins". That said, if you need more than 2 people, an M3 would be a top choice. Both online communities are very strong.

Based on all of that, I'd choose:
1) Cayman
2) M3
3) CTS-V (or Corvette)

Mind giving a little comparison of your cayman vs nsx with advantages and disadvantages between the two? I was hoping someone would chime in who has owned two of the cars on my radar. Thanks!

You say a '97+ NSX is out of your price range, but frankly it's about the same price as the other cars you're talking about (especially an '09+ facelifted Cayman S) and once you factor in depreciation, it will end up costing a lot less than everything you're talking about.

That aside, I agree that Cayman S will be a better track car, but since you're looking for a car to also take on weekend getaways, the M3 might be a better fit. I love the CTS-V, but it would make for an unsatisfying and expensive track car compared to the others.

What meets have you been going to? Katie's can be a little hit or miss, but I often pop in there. Fair Lakes tends to have a pretty solid turn out, check the DC forum for some details there. With the upcoming great weather in the area, I am going to try to get out and about a little bit.

I'd say that 40-45k could get you a 99+ if you keep your eyes open and aren't looking for perfection. Especially if you are looking for a driving car rather than a pristine museum piece. It may take a while to find compared to the other cars on your list though as there are simply fewer NSXs around.

$40-50k you can buy an 99+ easily.
i picked up my 00' NSX-T 6spd for about $45k, with average miles.

Never been, so I'd be up for maybe heading up there this weekend if the weather is what they say it is going to be. Still people showing up in the winter months? You planning on being there this weekend?

I go just about every weekend, it's 10 mins down the road from me. It has been consistent but I've noticed that people are arriving later than usual in the winter. In the summer, cars are leaving at 930, now, people are still rolling in at that time.

I will be there this weekend if it's not raining, but it looks like there is a good chance of that.

Mind giving a little comparison of your cayman vs nsx with advantages and disadvantages between the two? I was hoping someone would chime in who has owned two of the cars on my radar. Thanks!

Sure, I did a quick writeup on a different thread awhile back:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...-BRZ-or-Scion-FRS/page8?p=1638086#post1638086

In general, I'd say the cayman is probably a more practical car to own, but the NSX feels more special. They cayman has more space, doesn't scrape on driveways, thicker/better paint, and is easier to drive fast. It also flies under the radar, at least here in the SF Bay Area. Costs for both cars are the similar, so that's a wash. The NSX is more unique and that can be felt in every aspect of the ownership.

For noncompetitive weekend trackdays, I'd imagine the NSX would be more fun and provides a more visceral experience (despite the slower steering). The cayman might be a bit faster, easier to drive, and probably a bit more reliable, if not cheaper in terms of consumables.

For weekend getaways where you plan to take more than one or two small bags, the cayman is a better option than the NSX. It has WAY more room. But if you'll be cruising some nice roads and can take the top off, the NSX will definitely be more rewarding.

Back