• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Opinions - Falken FK452

Hello fellow Primers...

Ive decided that the tires that came along with my car need to go... I need to get some better wet weather performance with the way the suspension is sprung. Here is the deal:

Current:

Tein Flex w/EDFC
Comptech sway bars front/rear on stiffest setting
Falken RT615 rears/Potenza S-03 fronts
Volk CE28N - 18x9.5+40 rear, 17x8+38 front

I do like the setup above in the dry, and 99.999% of the time thats when the car is driven, but in the wet, esp with the car boosted and lightened, it can get a bit squirrely.

I was taking a look at the FK452s... Anyone running these? Any thoughts?

Hello fellow Primers...

Ive decided that the tires that came along with my car need to go... I need to get some better wet weather performance with the way the suspension is sprung. Here is the deal:

Current:

Tein Flex w/EDFC
Comptech sway bars front/rear on stiffest setting
Falken RT615 rears/Potenza S-03 fronts
Volk CE28N - 18x9.5+40 rear, 17x8+38 front

I do like the setup above in the dry, and 99.999% of the time thats when the car is driven, but in the wet, esp with the car boosted and lightened, it can get a bit squirrely.

Never tried them, but if 99% of the time it's in the dry then why not go with Dunlop Z1 Star Specs? They are FANTASTIC in the dry and pretty damn good in the wet.

Never tried them, but if 99% of the time it's in the dry then why not go with Dunlop Z1 Star Specs? They are FANTASTIC in the dry and pretty damn good in the wet.

Hey thanks! taking a look now...

What had drawn me to the Falkens is that they're specifically claiming that their groove pattern is designed for improved wet grip, but I always wonder if any of that is actually true or just marketing theory.

Another option is I can change the suspension setup, but I do tend to prefer oversteer to understeer and so far the Teins havent annoyed me the way they do others. I havent noticed noise and actually really prefer the stiffened setup vs stock. The car feels a lot more planted.

Not to shift this over to suspension tuning, but I do think its interesting that the aftermarket coilovers roughly keep the stock F/R spring rate ratio, keeping and maybe even increasing the bias towards oversteer and just making everything stiffer, whereas it seems the factory S and R suspension setups shift the bias completely around towards the front favoring understeer.

Last edited:
I used to have them on my car. They are narrower than other brand tires for the same spec.

I used to have them on my car. They are narrower than other brand tires for the same spec.

Interesting, thanks Jin. I take it you didnt like them? What did you switch to?

I used to have them too, they are not bad. I would get kdw2's again though or the star specs but those are really the only two tires I like personally. Also the falkens run narrow as pointed out and they don't have a bead protector for your wheels.

I've used the Fk452 forever on my car. I've owned it 7+ years now and have been though 20+ sets of wheels. Originally ran the 451's... then they switched over to the 452. They are great wet/dry tires. Awesome traction, and are designed for lowered/sports car type of cars such as we own. They wear very well and last a long time as well. I most recently changed it up to something else... and the next set I buy will be the fk452 again for sure.

As Jin said, they are "stretched" a bit. They are designed in that manor. So typically if you're considering 265, you can probably fit 275's.

Hope this helps.

I run Bridgestone Potenza RE001 Adrenaline. It is good for daily driving and also cheap. Personally for me the best tire was Goodyear F1 GSD3.

Interesting, thanks Jin. I take it you didnt like them? What did you switch to?

I've used the Fk452 forever on my car. I've owned it 7+ years now and have been though 20+ sets of wheels. Originally ran the 451's... then they switched over to the 452. They are great wet/dry tires. Awesome traction, and are designed for lowered/sports car type of cars such as we own. They wear very well and last a long time as well. I most recently changed it up to something else... and the next set I buy will be the fk452 again for sure.

As Jin said, they are "stretched" a bit. They are designed in that manor. So typically if you're considering 265, you can probably fit 275's.

Hope this helps.

VERY helpful... I am going to hunt down some pics of these guys...

I run Bridgestone Potenza RE001 Adrenaline. It is good for daily driving and also cheap. Personally for me the best tire was Goodyear F1 GSD3.

I do like Bridgestone as well. I didnt realize the RE001 came in the size mix I needed. Going to look more into the RE001s as well in this case.

Last edited:
i've been happy with the bridgestone potenza re-11's.i believe this is a pretty new tire.it's real sticky,good steering response,and quiet and smooth for a high performance tire.i don't drive my nsx in the rain,but reviews say it does well in the wet.

hth,robbie

i've been happy with the bridgestone potenza re-11's.i believe this is a pretty new tire.it's real sticky,good steering response,and quiet and smooth for a high performance tire.i don't drive my nsx in the rain,but reviews say it does well in the wet.

hth,robbie

I think the challenge with the bridgestones is the sizing Im looking for.

I do want to stay with 215/40/17 F and 265/35/18 R b/c I like the way the car sits and feels with that size combo. It's pretty well setup now.

I didnt see Bridgestone options in the 215/40/17 size

I think the challenge with the bridgestones is the sizing Im looking for.

I do want to stay with 215/40/17 F and 265/35/18 R b/c I like the way the car sits and feels with that size combo. It's pretty well setup now.

I didnt see Bridgestone options in the 215/40/17 size

I have had the Falken 451s in the past. The 452s replaced them and like others have said they tend to be a size smaller than what they have listed. So a 215/40/17 Falken 452 will actually fit more like a 205/40/17 of other brand tires. Just keep that in mind... Otherwise it was a good overall tire, though it didn't excel in any particular category (wet or dry).

The StarSpecs have much more grip than the 451s I had in the dry ...though I expect the StarSpecs to not last as long.. only time will tell.

Another option is I can change the suspension setup, but I do tend to prefer oversteer to understeer and so far the Teins havent annoyed me the way they do others. I havent noticed noise and actually really prefer the stiffened setup vs stock. The car feels a lot more planted.

A few things to keep in mind here. The RT-615 (or 615k?) are "Extreme Performance Tires". The S-03s are "Max Performance Tires". That being the case, the S-03s are technically less grippy than the rear RT-615. This could contribute be a contributing factor your understeer.

Another thing to note. The 452s are "Ultra High Performance" tires. This level is lower than both of the tires that you already have, so expect an overall decrease in performance in the Dry than what you're used to.

Check this out for more info:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/types/tiretype.jsp

Hey thanks! taking a look now...

What had drawn me to the Falkens is that they're specifically claiming that their groove pattern is designed for improved wet grip, but I always wonder if any of that is actually true or just marketing theory.

Not to shift this over to suspension tuning, but I do think its interesting that the aftermarket coilovers roughly keep the stock F/R spring rate ratio, keeping and maybe even increasing the bias towards oversteer and just making everything stiffer, whereas it seems the factory S and R suspension setups shift the bias completely around towards the front favoring understeer.

I prefer not to drive my car in the wet lol. but if you must, the 452 aint bad. they stretch well if you are into that lol

A few things to keep in mind here. The RT-615 (or 615k?) are "Extreme Performance Tires". The S-03s are "Max Performance Tires". That being the case, the S-03s are technically less grippy than the rear RT-615. This could contribute be a contributing factor your understeer.

Another thing to note. The 452s are "Ultra High Performance" tires. This level is lower than both of the tires that you already have, so expect an overall decrease in performance in the Dry than what you're used to.

Check this out for more info:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/types/tiretype.jsp

Thats a good point re: different spec F/R. Its also just driving me nuts that the tires are mismatched (that kind of thing bugs me)

I actually didnt notice more understeer (thank god - hate understeer), but rather a bit more oversteer. The back wants to come out pretty easily when things are damp. Fully manageable, but I feel like I should either tone down the suspension, or match the rubber better to it. Either way the tires are 04 and 06 manufacture date, so pretty soon they're going to need changing.

I prefer not to drive my car in the wet lol. but if you must, the 452 aint bad. they stretch well if you are into that lol

Me too! I actually barely drive as it is, and never deliberately in the wet. But of course Murphys Law... The day I did TB/WP? Pouring rain out of nowhere. The day I had to pick her up? Same. It always seems to work that way. Cars and Coffee? Rain on the way :D

Im actually really *not* into that stretch look. I really dont like it. Glad I posted this b/c now Ive taken a look at some FK452 shots and they do look "too stretched" to me. The current ones I have dont sit that way. I prefer a "normal" look and dont want the car either too lowered, too off balanced visually front to rear, or showing too little rubber.

Last edited:
I have them on the front, thier affordable, decently long lasting, and decent performance but star spec or NT05 are much better performance as well as your SO3 etc but they will wear quicker for sure.

Somehow the union of the two sizes, on tire rack, only gives me these choices:

Dunlop
Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec

Yokohama
ADVAN Neova AD08

Continental
ContiSportContact 3

Kumho
Ecsta LE Sport

BFGoodrich
g-Force T/A KDW 2

Fuzion
ZRi
Blackwall

Sumitomo
HTR Z II

Kumho
Ecsta ASX

It seems like the combo of 215/40/17 and 265/35/18 is really limiting

The Falken FK452 is also available in those sizes (as you mentioned) it's just TireRack doesn't carry Falken tires.

Also note that when searching on TireRack, they do not show matching pairs if the same tire is not the same speed rating. Case in point, the Yokohama S.Drive is available in those sizes, however since the front is a "W" rated tire and the rear is a "Y" rated tire, they don't show. You're best off searching each size independently and then comparing the results.

Last edited:
The Falken FK452 is also available in those sizes (as you mentioned) it's just TireRack doesn't carry Falken tires.

Also note that when searching on TireRack, they do not show matching pairs if the same tire is not the same speed rating. Case in point, the Yokohama S.Drive is available in those sizes, however since the front is a "W" rated tire and the rear is a "Y" rated tire, they don't show. You're best off searching each size independently and then comparing the results.

This is great advice, I didn't realize... Back to TR. :)

Hello fellow Primers...

I used to have the Bridgestone S03 on my car before, sizes 215/45/17 front and 265/35/18 rear.
When these became unavailable where I live, I decided to try the Falken FK452's.
The primary reason for that was the fact they were cheaper and when you are changing rear tires twice a year the count goes up pretty fast.

So far I like them very much. On the few track days I tried them they didn't seem to roll much more than the S03 and the side wall seems to be pretty stiff.
I am running 235/40/17 and 265/35/18 now and my NSX is very neutral with them. I'm also running TEIN-RA suspension, SOS rear non-compliance toe-links, front NSX chassis bars and Type-R front swaybar.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again but I would like to try some of the newer model tires that have come out on the market since.

My first sets of FK452 lasted just as long as the S03's but my current set of rear tires has been on the car for longer than any other tire I've tried.
I am wondering now if Falken has changed the compound of their FK452 over the years. I am driving somewhat easier lately but not that much in my opinion.

Thanks MvM. Any chance you have a pic? The pics I saw of the Falkens they looked kind of stretched.

I was starting to lean towards the Yoko's actually as a good compromise that is available in the same rating all around (F/R)

Back