• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Opinions needed please!

JAM

Contributing Member
Hello all, I am a new NSX Prime member and need advice from someone!

I have a 1991 NSX that is clean and mostly stock, and has 50k on it. I have the chance to buy a 91 with 17k miles on it, perfect one owner car for a great price from a friend of mine... but I am going back and fourth on if I should buy that and maybe do some bolt on's ie: exhaust/intake/chip/wheels... or if I should keep my car and do some major things to the engine for performance ie: supercharger/NOS/pistons/rods/ etc and see how much power I can get out of it. I dont beat on my cars, but I do like to go fast and don't want to be embarrassed by a Lancer or WRX !

My question is what do you all feel the pros and cons of each scenario are?

Someones going to whip your car sooner or later so don't sweat it.
Set your car up the way you want and enjoy.

Originally posted by JAM

Assuming your car is in great shape, there's not much to be gained by trading a 50K mile car for a 17K mile car. They're both fairly low-mileage, good-condition cars. So keep your car and do whatever you want to it. Unless you want two NSXs, in which case get the other one as well.

As for the bolt-on I/H/E vs the forced induction mods, that's up to you, and the usual questions of performance, cost, reliability, etc. As pbassjo says, do what you want with it.

I agree with all of the above and might add that you get the timing belt, water pump and valves done right away (if they have not already been done) even though the recommended mileage for each service has not been reached yet.

JAM said:
Hello all, I am a new NSX Prime member and need advice from someone!

I have a 1991 NSX that is clean and mostly stock, and has 50k on it. I have the chance to buy a 91 with 17k miles on it, perfect one owner car for a great price from a friend of mine... but I am going back and fourth on if I should buy that and maybe do some bolt on's ie: exhaust/intake/chip/wheels... or if I should keep my car and do some major things to the engine for performance ie: supercharger/NOS/pistons/rods/ etc and see how much power I can get out of it. I dont beat on my cars, but I do like to go fast and don't want to be embarrassed by a Lancer or WRX !

Welcome to NSX prime!
It's just another 91 NSX with low mileage n may be better condition, best to keep your 91 and do some mods on it.
Unless you have a chance to get a 97+ model, then go for it. or else ....... keep your 91 NSX and get a EVO VII/VIII :D .... the new 350Z would be nice too :p

Thanks for the imput so far!!! I guess I am just over thinking the whole thing and my girlfriend has heard enough so I am looking for other (more knowledgeable) advice ... my main draw to the lower miles car is I have known it/and the owner since it was new, has no paint work and has never been beat on or modified in any way and I think that will help the value in the future. I have only had mine for a year, and prior to me buying it from the 2nd owner, there was some paint work done from a key job which bothers me, and I don't know how it was treated ... although I do have many records.
I can say, of all the performance cars I have owned (Ferrari, Porsche, AMG Benz, and the Lamborghini Jalpa I have now...) That the NSX is my favorite BY FAR and I doubt/hope I will never be without one in the future ... just needs to be a little quicker;)

IMO I'd get your friends NSX. It seems like a better trade off and is closer to stock than your car(meaning no paint/body work) and has less mileage. In the end I would think it'll sell slightly higher than a similar car which has had paint/body work.

JAM said:
...I am looking for other (more knowledgeable) advice ... my main draw to the lower miles car is...

Sounds to me as if we didn't give you the advice you wanted. If you want to get the lower mileage car, then don't ask for advice that you may not want to hear. Just get it, mod it, drive it.

ChopsJazz... that comment was in reference to me needing to talk to other people who have an NSX and see what they say, not just milling it over myself and talking about it with my g/f.

...my girlfriend has heard enough so I am looking for other (more knowledgeable) advice ...

the more knowledgeable info I seek is from Prime members!

Color option would be another consideration.

Either way, you can always get the car and sell yours.

If you don't plan to sell your existing one, a little paint job should not be a problem as long as you own it... unless of course if it bugs you too much, then just sell it for a peace of mind.

If you can afford 2, then just keep the low mileage one stock and mod your existing one till your heart content.

Back