• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Opinions on 01 740iL

HTN

Experienced Member
Looking at an 01 740iL. Have any of you guys here had experience with it?
Is the sports trim a must have? Any thoughts or opinions would be great.

Thanks

I have an 01 740i sport. I love the car. I think 01 is a must have as I do the sport model. I forget all the differences, but some off the top of my head. Quicker gear ratios, factory clears, sport ( M ) suspension, 3 spoke wheel, maybe more.

I have always heard maintenance on them is horrible, but I don't personally know anyone that is owned one. I liked the car that was in Bond. I think it was a 750 though.

Maintence is like any other normal highend car. The 740 is a V8. Now my wife drives a 850Ci that is a V12, but I've had no issues with it what so ever.

Btw I think Bond was in a Z3

Maintence is like any other normal highend car. The 740 is a V8. Now my wife drives a 850Ci that is a V12, but I've had no issues with it what so ever.

Btw I think Bond was in a Z3

Tomorrow Never Dies he is in a 7 series. Drives it by remote. Awesome scene.

TNDbmw75014.jpg

750iL

Last edited:
I had an 00 740i Sport. Sport package is a MUST-it makes the car very responsive in both acceleration and handling, not to mention looks better with the details in and out. It was great to drive, but make sure its thoroughly checked out before you buy - like a lot of old german cars, there's a bunch of things that can and will go out and cost $$$ to fix or replace. Pixel displays, suspension rebuild on high mileage cars, radiator/coolant expansion tank WILL crack and fail, etc. Be prepared...
I do miss the car a lot, but luckily sold it right before V8's took a nose-dive in value with the oil crisis. It helped me get my NSX anyway. :wink:

www.e38.org will be your friend.

Thanks for the links guys.
I just can't resist the great deals on these cars.

Tomorrow Never Dies he is in a 7 series. Drives it by remote. Awesome scene.

TNDbmw75014.jpg

750iL

O yeah, that was awesome with the remote control. Can't believe I forgot that one.

Goldeneye was the one with the Z3

Last edited:
The IL was the first car that I drove ridiculously fast when I was 16... and almost died :eek: It was my buddy's..dad, that we took at out at 2:00 AM. Two weeks after getting my license and.... let me say, that it was foolish, foolish, foolish but it was so much fun :)

I'd say as long as you're willing to become a german car expert, do it!

Last edited:
Hey guys....I found one in Newberry SC.
Looks pretty good online, but you know how that goes.

If anyone is in this area and would not mind helping me check it out, please let me know.

TIA

Own one as well, and echo what the others say - make sure you have one that has a great maintenance history. They're terrific cars that can be had for 15K or less these days - I acually like mine better than my father-in-law's newer 750i. The 750i is faster but feels huge and is like driving the space shuttle. Try www.bimmerforums.com as well as roadfly.org, they have dedicated E38 forums with some very knowledgeable people over there.

go here. www.e38.org

lots and lots of info.

I am on my second one. first one died due to wifey driving in heavy rainstorm. BMW sucks the air from the bottom!!!! Can you say hydrolock!

Anyways, the steering rack and the steering components are what you need to look at. As well as the main power steering hose and the hose that goes to the reservoir to the rad. Main pwr one can be had cheapest from Ebay. FCPGroton...remember that company...they sell TRW and OE items without the BMW logo...can you say cheaper...much cheaper!!!

Just make sure you go thru the list from the e38.org site. for what to look for.

-Cheers

I have always liked the last gen 5 and 7 series. After seeing this thread I was up all night Sunday night looking at 5 and 7 series on Ebay. My pregnant wife didn't appreciate it too much!

You guys SUCK!:wink:

I have always liked the last gen 5 and 7 series. After seeing this thread I was up all night Sunday night looking at 5 and 7 series on Ebay. My pregnant wife didn't appreciate it too much!

You guys SUCK!:wink:

LOL....my wife is pregnant as well. She said go for it.

I came to a conclusion that I'm too cheap to own a BMW. So for now, money in bank looks better.
Thanks guys for pointing out the pros and cons.

Back