• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ordered a GT-R

I have gotten impatient waiting for the next generation NSX. In the mean time I have to give Nissan credit. They have done an excellent job marketing and promoting their car. They have done such a great job of it that I put a deposit down and placed my order today. The only problem is the dealership couldn't promise me exactly when I will be getting my car. They are only receiving 6 in the first year of production and I'm number 5 on their list. I'm excited, but I have two concerns:
1) Will this car live up to the high expectations?
2) Will I get bored with the paddle shift and not having an actual clutch and shift knob?

I haven't decided what I'm going to do with my Acura yet. The smart decision would be to sell it, but after having it for over 7 years I'm kind of emotionally attached to it.

When are the expected delivery dates? I've been seriously contemplating one as well (the looks are growing on me) but I'm a little hesitent on buying the first year of production.

Congrats on the purchase! Look forward to hearing about your experience.

I liked them in pictures to begin with, and it's a vast improvement in person IMO. I wouldn't worry about meeting the performance expectations. I can arguably name one or two cars under a quarter million that can even hold a candle to this car. I believe the Spec V model will crush almost anything half a million and most of its parts should transfer to the 'base' model quite easily. Not much else to say when a couple goofball magazine guys manage to pull a 0-60 of 3.3 seconds in a privately owned and used vehicle on a poor surface and more or less on their first try. With better tires and a pro behind the wheel.. then throw in the spec v enchancements..

Nissan already did this before and it worked well. The 1990 300zx sold almost as many as all the MK4 supras, VR4's and FD's sold in the states combined. It takes some balls and I'm sure firing a couple accountants but Nissan got the job done and worked too hard not to cover the first owner's back IMO if something goes wrong [usually does, but 90 twin turbos still fetch good money if that says anything].

I have gotten impatient waiting for the next generation NSX. In the mean time I have to give Nissan credit. They have done an excellent job marketing and promoting their car. They have done such a great job of it that I put a deposit down and placed my order today. The only problem is the dealership couldn't promise me exactly when I will be getting my car. They are only receiving 6 in the first year of production and I'm number 5 on their list. I'm excited, but I have two concerns:
1) Will this car live up to the high expectations?
2) Will I get bored with the paddle shift and not having an actual clutch and shift knob?

I haven't decided what I'm going to do with my Acura yet. The smart decision would be to sell it, but after having it for over 7 years I'm kind of emotionally attached to it.
There are a few things you will need to be careful with.

Do they have a VIN number to offer you a written contract? From what I can see, they don't, so be careful!!!

Did they give you the impression of - Taking the deposit so you can be in line to be an "entertainer" by making offers against others - How much you are willing to pay for the car? If they are asking way too much over the sticker, you number may be pushed up because front runners may drop out.

If they do have a VIN before the car arrives, they will call you and try to close the deal, observe the situation carefully, because while they may have inpatient people line up for the first few, later shipment may not have have serious/enthusiastic bid; therefore, if that is the case, don't fall for the trick "if you don't, some one else will." You can always play the same game back by telling them there are other GT-R outside of GA you can get at MSRP because those states does not have strong buyers who can offer over MSRP pricing.

If you have a deep pocket and don't care about the $$$, the process will be easier of course.

Good luck and looking forward your review.

Last edited:
Without a Vin#, is not a legal binding contract. Like Vance said, if they write MSRP, it will be...only after months or years after the car is released.:wink: The Over Sticker Players will be the first delivered.:frown:

Vancehu and The Kid,

Thank you for your advice. I have a written contract saying they will sell me the car at MSRP + tax + title / registration fees + destination charge + $998 documentation fee and I am number 5 on their list. I am not willing to pay more than MSRP (unless you count the b/s $998 documentation fee). Below is the orignial email they sent me:

My name is Dan Hoffenberg and I am the Internet Sales Manager with Regal Nissan. I'd like to let you know more about the new Nissan GT-R which will be debuting this year. We've recently received specific information from Nissan regarding approximate pricing and availability along with the official pre-order program.

As an official GT-R dealer, we'll be receiving 6 GT-R's in the first 18 months of production. Three are currently pre-sold, that leaves three available. The best news is that the GT-R will be sold as a pre-order vehicle only. This means that you get to customize your new GT-R to your specifications!
Unlike many of our competitors nationwide, we will not be charging above MSRP for the new GT-R. We are as excited as you are about the new GT-R and feel the pricing is fair where it stands. Pricing will be at MSRP (ranging from around $68,000-$73,000 depending on equipment) plus destination (yet to be announced), sales tax, registration and a $998 documentation fee.

All GT-R's are sold on a first come, first serve basis. Nissan is requiring a $10,000 deposit for pre-order via check. In order to process your new GT-R, a copy of the check must be submitted with your specifications. Please contact the Regal Nissan Internet department as soon as possible to schedule your pre-order.

We are extremely excited about the GT-R program and look forward to updating you with more details as they arrive. There is not a specific arrival date of vehicles at this time. Below is some additional published information on the GT-R...

=================================================================
CHICAGO, Feb. 6 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Nissan today announced that the all-new Nissan GT-R supercar is now available for pre- ordering at 691 officially certified Nissan dealers across the United States. The 2009 Nissan GT-R, equipped with a 480-horsepower, twin-turbo 3.8-liter V6 engine and advanced 6-speed dual clutch automatic transmission, has a Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $69,850 for the GT-R and $71,900 for the GT-R Premium model (exclusive if Destination & Handling). Customer deliveries of the new GT-R are scheduled to begin in June 2008.

Nissan dealers have attained "GT-R Certification" status by meeting a number of strict sales, service and facilities commitments, including dedicating a master technician to GT-R service, special training for service managers and technicians, and designating dealer principals, executive managers and general managers as the primary communicators/negotiators in sales transactions. A listing of GT-R Certified Nissan dealers is available to consumers on nissanusa.com.

"A supercar as special as the new Nissan GT-R -- and its owners -- requires a truly exceptional level of care and handling," said Al Castignetti, vice president and general manager, Nissan Division, Nissan North America, Inc. "These Certified GT-R dealers are making a substantial investment in their showrooms, service tools and technician training -- helping ensure that the purchase and ownership of the new GT-R will be an exciting experience for our customers, every step of the way."

About the 2009 Nissan GT-R
The all-new 2009 Nissan GT-R, the fifth-generation of the legendary Nissan supercar, is a multi-dimensional performance machine that lives up to the concept of "the ultimate supercar that can be driven by anyone, anytime, anywhere."

It features an all-new 3.8-liter twin turbo V6 producing 480 horsepower and 430 lb-ft of torque (estimated), backed by an all-new, paddle-shifted, GR6-type dual clutch rear transaxle. The new Nissan GT-R is built on an exclusive, all-new Premium Midship platform. This new platform enables the use of a world's first independent rear transaxle ATTESA E-TS all-wheel drive system, which places the transmission, transfer case and final drive at the rear of the vehicle, optimizing weight distribution and maximizing handling capability.

The Nissan GT-R's functional styling utilizes advanced aerodynamics, evoking the lines of a well-trained athlete. GT-R's hybrid body construction combines steel, carbon fiber and die-cast aluminum, and features a low coefficient of drag of 0.27, while achieving high front and rear downforce. GT-R's four-passenger cabin features a sloping "aero blade canopy" roofline and curved C-pillar "sword edge," as well as GT-R's hallmark four-ring taillights, functional rear carbon fiber underbody diffuser, rear spoiler and large, integrated quad exhaust tips.

GT-R's interior balances functionality with a sense of ease and comfort. It features sculpted performance bucket seats for an optimal driving position, a cockpit-style instrument panel with a large center-mounted tachometer and multi-function display - which includes mechanical and driving information, as well as an on-board driving recorder.
Customers can learn more about the 2009 Nissan GT-R through gtrnissan.com
==========================================================

$998?!:eek: Is that a misprint? $599 was previously the highest I've ever heard of. I guess ours at $239 is a bargain.:smile:

Yeah- lets all cry about the doc fee... Nevermind the fact this dude is about to get one of the hotest new cars out there with virtually no dealer mark-up :eek: .

Congrats man- please keep us informed as you proceed!

Philip

When you're paying 70K+ for a car that you know will depreciate a bit (even if it's "only" 10 or 20K within a few years), paying 1K is nuthin.

Me, personally, I can't wait to see a stock GTR with 4/5 year warranty beat 10/20/30k NSX FI motors (after alreadying have 40k+ in your car with 60K+ miles : ) )

Very nice ride to obtain....I think dealers will screw everyone on the avalability cost for first two years....I would consider purchase, but the NSX is so unique and afordable compared to other "sports" cars out there. :cool:

So the OP is number 5 on a 6 car list at no more than MSRP. Other states are selling for far more than MSRP. Has anyone here jumped on that last car yet?

Ive been trying to figure out a way to put a lift in my small 2 car garage so I can get one too (and not have to sell the NSX).

So far no luck.

I dont like the look of them in the pics, but no one can say it isnt an awesome car.

Ive been trying to figure out a way to put a lift in my small 2 car garage so I can get one too (and not have to sell the NSX).

So far no luck.

I dont like the look of them in the pics, but no one can say it isnt an awesome car.

Park it outside...that's what I do with my S4. :)

So the OP is number 5 on a 6 car list at no more than MSRP. Other states are selling for far more than MSRP. Has anyone here jumped on that last car yet?

The sales man said someone was supposed to come in today and two said they were coming in on Saturday. But whoever shows up first with the deposit gets it. I'm guessing the 6th one will be gone very soon. I heard another GA dealer is charging $5k over.

I admit, it doesn't have the unique looks of the NSX. That's one of the many reasons I want to be selfish and keep my NSX.

That sounds great Steve from Atlanta and hope you are able to keep your NSX, too.
I was thinking about plunking a deposit on this, but word from my Nissan dealer (Canton, MI) was "have a lot of deposits already, we don't know", and I also thought gouging was going to happen.
So last week I bought another NSX. 2005 with 2782 miles.
Guess I'll be a bit sheepish when the first GTR blows me into the brush....
but I'll get over it.
Keep us informed?

that car is ugly anyway, so leave it outside with the element and just DRIVE it.

I'm just kidding. First, I'm kind of surprised about the 998 doc fee, my dealership only charged $50, and some of my customer whined about it.

white92 is right though, if there's people paying 10's of thousands more over msrp, why would they sell you at msrp? If they are honest, the 1k sounds good.

Vancehu and The Kid,

Thank you for your advice. I have a written contract saying they will sell me the car at MSRP + tax + title / registration fees + destination charge + $998 documentation fee and I am number 5 on their list. I am not willing to pay more than MSRP (unless you count the b/s $998 documentation fee).

That is an excellent news, even though the 998 doc fee is most likely a mark up, but a reasonable one. Congrats and again, looking forward to hear your review. I may be in the market for one as well.

From the above linked article...

"More good news: For all the GT-R's stunning performance, it's hard to understand why any enthusiast in Japan would purchase a GT-R given all the restrictions and headaches. We seem to be in the clear, though; our sources at Nissan USA have told us no such GPS-based speed limiters will be placed on U.S.-spec GT-Rs, though it's unclear where we stand with the rest of the limitations."

Even so, the draconian measures Nissan has implemented makes me wonder if they're a legacy of the CGT crash at Fontana or Nissan being foolishly shortsighted or a combination of both. Why would you go through the trouble of building such an incredibly well performing car and not let it perform as designed?

Back