• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ordering New NSX

Are any of the dealers taking orders yet? If so, can I put a down payment on a car now to buy at list. All I want is to spec color.

Just curious,

Drew

Are any of the dealers taking orders yet? If so, can I put a down payment on a car now to buy at list. All I want is to spec color.

Just curious,

Drew
A friend tried to put his name down with a deposit for the NSX and was told that his dealership would not commit to selling at "list price" (MSRP).
Just wait until all the hoop-la dies down and it will be easy to order yours, spec'd the way you want.
This happens all the time; look at the Viper situation currently: Dealers wanted over list price (for the new model) and now they can't unload what they've got.

I was at my Acura Dealer back in December because we were considering a new MDX or RLX and the salesman said that they have taken 8 orders for the New NSX at sticker and they weren't taking any more orders. We ended up buying a Lexus GS 350 AWD F-Sport.

I've been kind of hoping Honda would attempt to manage the retail selling of the new NSX by proscribing a policy of MSRP sales with no dealer add-on pricing.
However I believe resale price maintenance is not legal in the US, so Honda may have it's hands tied but they certainly can decide who gets the new NSX and who doesn't and that may be a way to avoid dealers with short term thinking.
I think all the hard work going on at Honda would tend to be nullified when dealers take a short term gouging approach and it would seem to cheapen the NSX, the dealership and Honda.

Honda UK has issued a formal sales position on the new NSX but to the best of my knowledge Honda USA has yet to establish a similar posture.
Perhaps it's different laws?

In any event it's my hope that NSX supply is closely coupled with real demand.
Nothing kills exclusivity like discounting a new model.
The cutback in the new Viper's production is evidence of this.

According to Ted Klaus the first NSX was overproduced because of over-optimistic sales forecasts by Honda's USA dealers and when real sales began to lag and unsold NSX's started to fill Honda's Long Beach terminal, discounting began and exclusivity was lost.

That Ted and Honda realize this gives me hope they won't repeat and the new NSX is surrounded by comments like " it's hard to get" and "you have to get on the wait list".
This would create a lovely aura around the new car and as one how has the new NSX on order (at MSRP) I hope I'm not going to be disappointed.

Last edited:
JD I'm not sure what the laws are regarding markups on the US but I remember something about Porsche dealers being discouraged from marking up the Boxster when it came out. I think if they did their allocations were cut to some degree so I'm assuming Honda could at least try to persuade them?

There is not much that Honda can do. There are no laws against markups, and how can there be? There is no "official" price. The MSRP is just that: suggested. Final price is determined between seller and buyer. After all, if dealers can be forced to not sell above MSRP, why should we be allowed to buy at less than MSRP. Honda can play games with allocation, but in the end it is the dealers who sell the cars, and withholding cars will just hurt Honda in the end.

ultimately, like any hot new commodity, the initial demand will wane and the car will be available for less. And as long as demand outstrips supply, there will be someone desperate enough to pay more for it.

JD I'm not sure what the laws are regarding markups on the US but I remember something about Porsche dealers being discouraged from marking up the Boxster when it came out. I think if they did their allocations were cut to some degree so I'm assuming Honda could at least try to persuade them?

I recall from many years ago in a business course that the Sherman Act prohibited manufacturers from controlling the price charged by retailers of the manufacturer's goods.
In short I think it means manufacturers (Honda) can suggest a selling price (MSRP) but they can't determine the price a reseller (dealer) charges.
As Olyar15 says I don't think Honda can do anything about gouging but they certainly can control the supply.

I guess the best we can hope for is that production is carefully managed to keep supply tight.
Discounting at the dealer level not only hurts the buyers who bought at list (or over) but would cost Honda an enormous amount as the their future NSX production would be going down in value.
Tight supply is in everyone's best interest (notwithstanding any dealer gouging).

This 'over' MSRP foolishness happens all the time. In 10 months time after introduction, dealers will be begging for customers, especially if the NSX is priced above $150kUSD, in this current economy.
I've got the new Z06 on order, (#1 at my dealer @MSRP) !! So, I'll just suffer :wink: with 'that car' for 18 months, and by that time the NSX dealers will be begging for business. I've seen this scenario ad infinitum !

It might be wise for Acura dealers to keep in mind that their NSX is going to be competing for sales with McLaren's new offering (P13) in this same price range. I'd bet these cars will be sharing a fair amount of engineering aspects, since McLaren and Honda are now somewhat allied.
I wouldn't be so cavalier about jacking up the price, if I were in an Acura dealer's shoes inasmuch as the McLaren moniker carries a bit more weight in the snob appeal department, than does Acura.
JMO :smile:

Having a deposit means nothing more than buying a chance of be the first one to refuse their deal!

Why do you want to put money down on something that is not even out yet?

Dealers should NEVER take deposits unless they have the VIN number!

Having a deposit means nothing more than buying a chance of be the first one to refuse their deal!

+1 Agree.

Because some of us are very impatient, and want it ASAP. Besides, ordering one before they are built ensures that you will get the exact options you want.

Last edited:
putting down a deposit for the chance to be first is basically for peace of mind (because you are 100% motivated to buy)and bragging rights....and you don't care about loaning your dealer 1000$ interest free.

I'm not so certain I would want the first year cars. When I purchased a Lamborghini in it's first year ...... they had boatloads of issues. Same with the McLaren. I'd rather wait and order after the first year is over. That way, you can purchase without any dealer markup and Honda will have had the opportunity to use the first model year as a shakedown. All new cars always seem to have glitches; Even, Honda is not immune !

Last edited:
I'm not so certain I would want the first year cars. When I purchased a Lamborghini in it's first year ...... they had boatloads of issues. Same with the McLaren. I'd rather wait and order after the first year is over. That way, you can purchase without any dealer markup and Honda will have had the opportunity to use the first model year as a shakedown. All new cars always seem to have glitches; Even, Honda is not immune !

Yeah it's a trade off between enjoy now vs have a newer improved car later.

I don't think the NSX will be plagued with anything big, and if it is, I think Acura will have it fixed quickly (instead of waiting for the 5th car to burn from the bad glue).

It'll probably depend on what I'm driving at the time the NSX finally arrives, whether I'm in a rush or not to buy. It would be nice to have the mid-life refreshed car, but then you'd have missed out on enjoying the car for a few years before that.

Yeah it's a trade off between enjoy now vs have a newer improved car later..... It would be nice to have the mid-life refreshed car, but then you'd have missed out on enjoying the car for a few years before that.

Craigy,
I'm not planning to wait for a 'mid-life refresh', I'll just let the first year kinks get worked out and let the initial pricing folly settle down. If they refresh the car once I own it, I'll just trade up. :)
I'll still have my 2015 Z07 to play with, whilst I wait to order my NSX. ;)

Yeah good idea, you just might have to realize your depreciation though.

Fighting to pay over sticker for an early car does not sound that appealing. I'd much rather stroll into a dealer a year later, fill out an order sheet at my leisure and have a new car for a little off sticker.

Craigy and Quickie
Which will depreciate faster, a new Z06 or an NSX 2.0?

JD,
Definitely the GM product. But, they really seem to be trying with this car and I'm certain it's an animal, so why not give the car from the U.S.A. a shot. :)

Excellent question.

Both cars will depreciate fairly heavily, like anything else, barring some artificially short production run. I think the Z06 will depreciate faster, but the NSX will depreciate more, due to the higher initial MSRP.

We have the old Z06 and ZR1 to compare to the new Z06, but there is really no recent equivalent to the new NSX. The GTR was unique in that they introduced the car with a very low (relative) MSRP, and then significantly raised the price of the car each year (initially due to the strong yen) while keeping production relatively low (due to low demand during the recession), which bolstered the price of the earlier cars. I think the new NSX will hit us at a higher price point and likely remain relatively flat.

Either way it's not worth dwelling on if you intend to buy and enjoy the car ;)

Where will they be produced? Hopefullly at a facility that can ramp up production. Hope they make a bunch. I think a lot of people will get in line and that the first year production may go over list. Hence my original quesion.

Drew

to my knowledge they, being acura will build the car in ohio which just so happens to be the host for our nsxpo this year. The club will get a red carpet tour.I think they will limit the cars volume for 2015....let the hype sell the car and keep supply short.If the car becomes a must have for the well healed they will be able to control the spigot.

And even those who are not well healed but in fact well heeled. :smile:

lol....what do you want from a doc...:tongue:

Last edited:
Surely almost all of the next NSX will be built to order, apart from the initial press and demonstrator cars. Why would a manufacturer in this day and age not have a just-in-time system to maximise cash flow / minimise stock levels for every component? Aren't almost all cars these days essentially built to order? When you can get a mini with so many purchaser defined options, surely a car as exotic as the next NSX won't be built in such volumes that it sits around in a lot for months on end?

Sure, sub-assemblies will be put together in advance, and the body-in-white may be pre-readied, but to suggest that the there will be finished cars sitting there waiting for a buyer is such an out-dated concept.

Just check out (relatively) recent episodes of shows such as Megafactories and the like, and the concept of vehicle stocks is explained away.

just another reason why there aint any coming down here, you will have to order one and wait two years from now until North America has satisfied demand then Europe and Japan

Back