• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Original 1991 owners

I am by no means an original owner but I am damn proud that I own an original 91.

When the NSX's 1st appeared at dealers in the Pacific NW, they were always roped off, with "do not touch" blah, blah......

In '94 drove by an Acura dealer in Bellevue, WA & there were 4 parked out in front - 2 red & 2- black. Pulled in asked to drive one & took it home....purchased many more from this dealer who was low key from day 1.

P1010451.jpg

On Friday I flew to Seattle and picked the car up from the gentleman in Olympia. Drove her back to Phoenix over the weekend, car was flawless during the trek.

I would like to personally thank you for sending him the window sticker which I now have! That was very generous and courteous of you, appreciate it.

When the NSX's 1st appeared at dealers in the Pacific NW, they were always roped off, with "do not touch" blah, blah......

In '94 drove by an Acura dealer in Bellevue, WA & there were 4 parked out in front - 2 red & 2- black. Pulled in asked to drive one & took it home....purchased many more from this dealer who was low key from day 1.

P1010451.jpg

Congratulations Neil....that was a quick up & back!

P1010451.jpg

They were roped off in MD too. I was 18 years old the 1st time I looked at one in the dealership. The dealers wouldn't let you beyond the ropes unless you were a serious buyer (not me at the time). When I visited Honda's main office in Tokyo shortly after that they let my sit in a Sebring NSX. I couldn't believe this thing wasn't roped off. I still have a picture of me sitting in it with my cheesy grin. That day was the start of my dream. I'll never forgert the beads of sweat rolling off of my forehead from trying not to scuff anything up when getting into it.

I spoke with a family friend today who bought his new in 1992. He has it covered and in the garage. I remember seeing it back in the day, license plate said "Japan F40". I haven't seen it in years, but LOVED it when I first saw it. He was happy to know that I DD my 1991

But now comes the part that says more about car dealers than anything -- after all the papers were signed and after all the grief they gave me, the sales manager comes over with a sheepish look and asks me if I wouldn't mind leaving the car there for a week or so, so that people could see it up close since they probably wouldn't get another one for a few months. What?!!! These guys have no shame! But remember, back then you couldn't test drive the car, you couldn't even touch it. Honest. They had the car roped-off with red velvet ropes and chrome stands. It was the star attraction. And obviously, drawing a lot of people into the dealership.

Thinking of how nice it would be to let other's view the car, and having that cool satisfaction of "she's MINE" or not, I would have done this for them too...BUT I would have SERIOUSLY charged them $$$ to "rent" the car for that week to let them know how it feels to get reamed. Business is business. They wanted something YOU now controlled...

What comes around goes around...

Last edited:
On Friday I flew to Seattle and picked the car up from the gentleman in Olympia. Drove her back to Phoenix over the weekend, car was flawless during the trek.

I would like to personally thank you for sending him the window sticker which I now have! That was very generous and courteous of you, appreciate it.

Congratulations Neil....that was a quick up & back!

Neil, congratulations on your first NSX and thanks for bringing it by yesterday! I'm still awestruck by how clean it is! Kudos to Hothonda and other prior owners for keeping her in such great condition! I know black wasn't your first choice for color, but she sure is pretty, and since it won't be a DD caring for it shouldn't be too much of a chore. You and joboy77 have extremely clean local black NSXs; we should have a get together soon so everyone can meet you and check out your new beauty.

When my car was new here is what the windown sticker looked like

NSXWindowsticker.jpg

Then they got you with the add ons
NSXWindowstickersup.jpg

Market adjustment....Right:eek:

Last edited:
Great stories.

Are Ken and Mark the only Primers (who have posted), who are still original owners, and who still have their NSX?

Add me to the list. It's totally stock and has about 11xxx miles. I have no idea what I am saving it for or why I don't drive it more. Oh well, you asked. Looks like I need a better image of the sticker. Russ - TN/FL

Attachments

• NSXWindowSticker.jpg
    NSXWindowSticker.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 54
  • NSXatCalderwood.jpg
    NSXatCalderwood.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 46
I am trying to figure out if I am the sole remaining original 1991 NSX owner in Canada.
My recollection of my purchasing decision way back when is as follows:
I drooled over the NSX at a car show when it was originally introduced in Vancouver BC and handed over a $1,000 refundable deposit shortly thereafter in July 1990. I was a little ticked later on when the dealership demanded a further $4,000 deposit by December 1990 but complied to maintain my place in line. Actually by then, I was totally hooked as Acura had tactically whet the appetites of all prospective purchasers by organizing a test drive of the NSX at a local race track. Although I was driving a Porsche 911SC Targa at the time, I was really impressed with the NSX!
I took delivery of my red/black machine on February 28, 1991 - VIN#800191
My purchase price was C$87,000 which included about C$10,000 of federal and provincial taxes. Of course at that time, the exchange rate was such that C$77,000 converted to around US$66,000. It is also interesting to note that although the NSX was being sold above sticker in the US, I think that it was generally sold at sticker in Canada.
Over the past 21 years, the car has been driven 173,00km or roughly 104,000 pleasurable miles with many great memories.
In fact, it has been soooo much fun that I'm "in line" again for the reincarnation hopefully in 2014.
While loitering at a Ferrari- Maserati dealership yesterday, the Sales Manager was pretty vocal that I would be very sorry/foolish to trade in the NSX. He doesn't know me very well as I have no intention of letting it go.

Back