• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

P1201, P1206, P1300 CEL Codes

I know I may get beaten up on here a little, but I cant seem to find a solution to my problem. Any input or posts would be great.

So, I had a CEL and a TCS light come on, on Saturday afternoon. I was driving regular at 70mph, when the lights came on. Since then, it has had a weird deep sounding pop, coming from the exhaust and seems to struggle (not awfully) in first and second gear. Also, the tach when coming to a stop, drops down to almost Zero- and then back to 800-1000 rpm

I took the car and had the codes read, and it popped up with P1201 (Cylinder 1 Misfire) P1206 (Cylinder 6 Misfire) and P1300 (random misfire). I went thru some of the steps everyone was talking about on here...i.e. Reset the ECU, checked battery connection. And it still seems to be doing the same thing. I haven't driven the car, much since then, because I do not want to get stranded.

What step should I take next? Spark plugs, Coils?

Lastly, the car runs fine at 60-80 mph when cruising on the highway, it hasnt died out on me at all, but the bogging in 1st and 2nd baffles me.. Bad gas possibly?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Stock motor.:confused:

I have suffered these misfire codes as well but only on one cylinder bank. You have both. I didn't see what year you car is. My suggestions in this order because it's less costly;

1. Check the plugs
  2. Check/replace coil packs
  3. Send injectors off to get cleaned and flow tested (RC Engineering)
Start with this list. It could be a bad batch of gas so you might throw some octane boost in just to see. Keep us posted.

I just took the car back to my friends shop and re used his OBD II, Reset the code. P1201 code popped up this time, just that one. Fuel/Air something. Am I correct, that the OBD II is for 96+, because I am using it on my 95. No code is popping up saying Misfire now. This is starting to get old. What NGK plugs do you recommend?

Also, I used Fuel treatment, so that may burnt out whatever may be in the tank...

Valero gasoline, any recommendations? Bad/good?

Last edited:
Code P1201 on OBDII is: Random misfire cyl #1. If you are hearing a "pop" from the exhaust, that usually is a misfire. I would pull the spark plugs and look at the build-up on the electrode. One should look somewhat different in color or deposit. Check the inside of the coil pack (shine a light down inside it and look for rust or corrosion where it meets the spark plug). Have you cleaned your throttle-body lately?

Last edited:
Code P1201 on OBDII is: Random misfire cyl #1. If you are hearing a "pop" from the exhaust, that usually is a misfire. I would pull the spark plugs and look at the build-up on the electrode. One should look somewhat different in color or deposit. Check the inside of the coil pack (shine a light down inside it and look for rust or corrosion where it meets the spark plug). Have you cleaned your throttle-body lately?

No, I haven't. I just purchased the car October 2010, and I haven't really done much to the car besides change the oil, air filter, etc. Next step is purchase Plugs (NGK 3456). That will be first, and i will look at the coils, when Plugs are out. What the best way to clean the throttle body? any links to follow? I am kinda new to the NSX

I just took the car back to my friends shop and re used his OBD II, Reset the code. P1201 code popped up this time, just that one. Fuel/Air something. Am I correct, that the OBD II is for 96+, because I am using it on my 95. No code is popping up saying Misfire now. This is starting to get old. What NGK plugs do you recommend?

Also, I used Fuel treatment, so that may burnt out whatever may be in the tank...

Valero gasoline, any recommendations? Bad/good?

the nsx went to obdII in 95,earlier than most cars,which did it in 96:

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Miscellaneous/OBDII.htm

No, I haven't. I just purchased the car October 2010, and I haven't really done much to the car besides change the oil, air filter, etc. Next step is purchase Plugs (NGK 3456). That will be first, and i will look at the coils, when Plugs are out. What the best way to clean the throttle body? any links to follow? I am kinda new to the NSX

Just get some spray throttle body cleaner, take off the airbox and spray it into the intake while increasing the idle speed so it won't die. Take a look in there before you start spraying to see if it's dirty or not.
When you replace the plugs, remember this is an aluminum engine and torque the plugs with an adequate torque wrench (I believe it's 13 - 15 ft. lbs.) because the threads are easy to strip - and that's a real bad thing.

Take the covers off that cover the coils. With the car running start disconnecting coils if one is bad it won't change the idle at all. If you have one or more that doesn't change the idle start moving coils and plugs around to see if it changes the misfire codes. If moving them doesn't change the code it could be the icm

Take the covers off that cover the coils. With the car running start disconnecting coils if one is bad it won't change the idle at all. If you have one or more that doesn't change the idle start moving coils and plugs around to see if it changes the misfire codes. If moving them doesn't change the code it could be the icm

This fixed the problem. THANKS!!!!! I love this site. I took each connector off the coil, and it was the rear passenger side coil which wasnt changing the idle. I took the plug out and cleaned it up. plugged it back in and boom everything seems to be working for right now. Thanks Acuratech27 and NSX prime.:biggrin:

Back