• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

P1316 & P1317

Ok, I have been working on replacing my timing belt, and water pump since Saturday along with adjusting the valves. I finally got everything put back together and started her up to leak check all of the cooland hoses I changed since I had the systme drained, and it is a 95. She started fine, and does not have any rougher than normal feel then before I started the work Saturday. Moments after starting I got the check engine and TCS light come on. I checked and had the 1316 and 1317 codes, I reset them and started up again, and the same thing with the same codes.

I did a quick look over and everything appears to be connected. Any ideas where I should start looking to find what is causing these two codes? The only thing I came up with on a search was another guy had the 1316 and he said it was a spark plug detection module or something to that affect. Thanks for your help.

Jason

These are "Spark Detection" codes for sure. In the 1995+ cars there is a module located on the alternator side of the engine bay, that looks much like the ignitor. It has light green connectors if I recall. Check this unit is plugged in properly, then I suggest going over ALL the coil connectors to make sure they are "snapped" in correctly. Did you replace spark plugs? If so what did you use for replacements?

If the car idles as before, it sounds like the timing belt is fine, nice going:).

HTH,
LarryB

Thanks Larry, sounds like this spark detector is the "missfire detector" that you guided me to when I first got my car and it was running so poorly.

I did not like the sound of the valves yesterday so I took the covers back off and re-adjusted them. I did check my connections before I removed the coils and they seemed to be all clipped in. I put in new OEM spark plugs today when I put it all back together. No more light, so I guess maybe something was not connected fully, who knows. I appreciate you letting me know what the codes were for.

By the way, the valves still seem to be louder then they were but I double checked my clearances after I adjusted them today. I know I started out at TDC because I jused the punches in the cams before I started. The exhaust valves are all .017-.018 and the intakes are .016-.017, which is just in the middle of the specs listed in the manual.

The exhaust valves are all .017-.018 and the intakes are .016-.017

I hope you mean: .007-.008 and the intakes are .006-.007 or that is why they are loud and WAY loose:).

You should get them at .007 and .006 respectively:).

HTH,
LarryB

Good catch Larry, I should not have put a 0 in front, and I was quoting mm not inches

Back