• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Paint ... or Not ???

Hi! My 91 is red/black, has many, but minor, paint chips everywhere. The paint is very decent for the age, and most people still mistake it for a "new car." So in other words, the paint is still very good.

Here's the idea. I have a extra bit of cash to spare, and it will go towards the car. I've done all the basic engine mods + suspension. I'm thinking about having the car repainted. I like the original red/black color, but i absolutely love the SPA YELLOW. So i'm considering repainting it to that color, but I've never owned a car with a total repaint in a different color before, so was wondering if there are any thiing that I need to know other than requesting to have the door jabs and internals painted as well.

I have no problem with the people doing the paint because I've had them done another car before and the paint was really really spectacular. I had the guy paint my 1990 300zx black, ,came out showroom shine, cost about $3500.

I was just wondering if anyone had any opinion about repainting the whole car, especially since it's a totally different color. I've never owned a repainted car long-term, i'm not sure what the long-term effects might be.

Also, the car will be a keeper, so I'm not too concern about it affecting its "resale value."

Thanks. any suggestions + opinions is appreciated.

One of the local guys (since relocated to LA) re-painted his Black to Ferrari Fly Yellow - the whole car was stripped down and the body panels sprayed off the car; also to allow painting of all the jambs, inside the hood, trunk & engine bay perimeters. It actually turned out really nice.
Now he left the actual engine bay, front compartment & trunk black, only painting up to the rubber seal edges - that looks fine (& not too un-natural) with black bays, but RED???? - not going to work!! I think unless you paint the bays, it will look like Ronald McDonald car any time you open the hatches. The trunk is pretty much hidden by carpeting, but the engine & front bays will be quite visible - you could of course remove the motor & anything bolted to the bulkheads & paint the bays, but not sure how practical that is for anyone without unlimited budget of time & money.
My best advice would be, if you really want a yellow one, buy it that way.

To have the entire car done right you are looking at a small fortune if you want to paint it a diff. color. My suggestion: paint the front of the car if you can get them to bring the rest of it out to a good shine. Do the front cap, hood, fenders and mirrors and leave the rest. I am fortunate that my car is white so chips are not near as noticable as on your car.

I've heard its around 2-3k for an okay job, and about 6k for jambs, engine bay, and in the NSX's case, the front compartment.

$6k should be a spectacular job, and unlike most things which tend to cost more on exotics (trim pieces, exhausts, body kits) paint is paint. Most any car will cost the same.

In fact I've known people to get decent paint jobs for about 2k that included jambs, and complete engine bay paint jobs for 4k, and I saw it in person, the finish was fantastic.

Wow, nevermind, just talked to a friend of mine that's had two of his cars repainted and convinced his friend to repaint his as well.

Said that it ended up being $2,500-3,500 for the ENTIRE car, engine bay and everything. In Normal paint.

3,500-4,500 for kandy coated paint

and

5,500 for a chameleon paint job

I've also seen his car in person, its a terrific job. I also don't doubt his word, he's quite trustworthy

On the NSX it will cost more than $2500-3500.00 to paint the car a different color. To do it right everything must come out of the engine comp, hood, trunk. You are looking at some serious money to do it just in the labor to prep for painting. Bottom line, stick to the original color unless you want to spend a LOT of cash.....

I just had my car painted, same color, for about $8,000 not including some body work. They disassembled, painted and reassembled the whole car. A color change would have required a lot more work. I would be very afraid of a color change for $3,500.

I agree. IMHO, the only way you can pull this off without spending a fortune is to start with a black car. Then you don't have to be as picky with the engine compartment. Even so, I'd be leery of getting a proper job for anything less than $7K.

If you want to repaint, stick with the original colors. If you want a yellow car, buy one. Or buy a ratty black one.

-Jim

Hm, I have been told 10-15k for a great job on the entire car.

Just got a quote for about 1,200 ( he did not seem sure on this at all, I think it will be more) for both rear quarter panels, and another 1,000 to paint the roof body colored.

Prices seems reasonable to me.

This is at Autobahn in Mtn. View. Suppose to do great work.

Well...I'm repainting my car right now-from black to diamond white. The whole job would take awhile(2 to 3 months) if u are willing to wait. I'm leaving me engine bay black to match with my interior. I didn't want anyone to take out or mess with my engine.I had a freind that repainted his car from red to yellow..when they took out the engine everything was messed up....he had to send it back to Acura... he end up paying more than he bargin for...i'm paying 4,000 on my paint job...he payed almost 9,000 w/sending it back to Acura for his engine..

jerryho said:
What is candy-coated and charmxxxx paint ???
Thanks.

Candy coated:D hmmmm....candy

Chameleon is what you see when that green mustang pulls up next to you and any given angle certain portions of the car has a different hue to it...in this example...the mustang has a purple hue. I find it rather disgusting, but quite fitting for a car I so loathe:rolleyes:

Actually...Why isn't there a cool chameleon job with say a red on black tinge to it:mad:

I followed up with the shop. Looks like it'll cost $5500 for the
same color. That''s a little bit more than I had hoped for.
Oh well, maybe next X-mas! :) I'll just have to settle for a Zaino kit for now. lol

Hey, If you have some funds now do it in stages. If the front needs paint then paint the nose, hood, and fenders and have them clean and buff the clear on the rest. Then next year finish the car. If it bothers you and you have the cash then do what you can.

I had a number of paint chips when I bought the car. I had them repaint the front bumper, hood and blend in the front quarters in the same original black. After 30 days I had the stongard kit applied and have had this for about 2 years and am very happy with the results. You might consider doing that as it is a cost effective way of getting rid of and preventing future annoying, unsightly rock chip blemishes. That said, I am considering a repaint to blue and was told $5500 to do it right. And it is an advantage starting with black as previously mentioned. But I disagree with the statement ´paint is paint´after discussing a new paint I am considering, the paint shop owner pointed out that it costs considerably more but it is worth it for the results. Hope this helps

Back