• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Paint protection films ?

Has anyone in Texas (hopefully Houston area) had any experience with the paint protection films for the front end? Ive searched around for kicks to see what they sell for (not in the market right now though) and have seen them range from $250-$2000 . What have some of you paid for a installed kit in Texas for your Nsx?

Not sure about TX but I had a 3M clear film applied to the hood, headlights, and mirrors of my wife's Celica GT and it works! I had this done in WA. The bumper had too many compound curves and the film would have to be cut and sectioned and would show too many seams so I did not have it done. This bumper area shows the sand damage that happens in the Northwest for ice and snow traction control. Cost was $500

I am also going to have my '99 NSX done. My car has 15,000 mi and flawless paint. There is a new 3M product that is not a film but rather a spray-on application. I am told that you would have to get within a foot or so to see this coating. It goes on 6mm thick and is supposed to be the same as a clearcoat. If you get a small flaw from sand you can buff it out. There is a 5 year warranty on this product. The benefit to spray on is that you don't see any seams and it is great for compound curves and full body panels. The down side is that it does not come off like the film if you change your mind. Cost to cover the entire hood, bumper, front fenders, and mirrors is $900.

My daily driver is a MBZ SLK32 AMG and this protection will be next on my list of things to do. A spray on application is a good investment, at least if you have concerns about paint damage from sand, small rocks, or other road debris.

IMHO- I think that with a front profile as long, low and agressive as it is on certain cars like the NSX, MBZ, BMW Z, Celica GT, and others that these products when applied properly will protect the paint and ultimately the value of the car.

Hope this helps. :cool:

Back