• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Painting wheels with urethane single stage

Hey guys, Just wanted to share what I have been up to lately. Here are some photos of the process of wheel widening, priming and painting. I bought these wheels here off prime about two months ago. I then took the rears up to Eric Vaughn Machine in Monrovia to get them widened. I am at 17x8 and 18x11.25.

I used a Dupont flat black industrial coating. The rear of the drum is not as flat as it is supposed to be because I put it on too thick. The front came out perfect after dialing my gun. I am very pleased with the finish. Sure is a lot of work to prep wheels!

Attachments

• 08-13-10_1641.jpg
    08-13-10_1641.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 375
  • 08-14-10_1736.jpg
    08-14-10_1736.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 364
  • 08-18-10_1520.jpg
    08-18-10_1520.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 344
  • 08-18-10_1741.jpg
    08-18-10_1741.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 367
Last edited:
Here are some more photos. I put one tire on at home. That is a 295/30/18 Bridgestone tire. I will post pics on the car in a couple weeks.

Attachments

• 08-29-10_2032.jpg
    08-29-10_2032.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 291
  • 08-29-10_2033.jpg
    08-29-10_2033.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:
Sure is a lot of work to prep wheels!

You can say that again. I am in the process of painting my wheels for my daily driver, and I think the prep time is 80% of the work.

Great job on your wheels.

Amazing. What's the cost to do the widening if you don't mind me asking?

Also, I'd be interested in seeing installed pics and hearing about the offsets! :smile:

Hey guys, Just wanted to share what I have been up to lately. Here are some photos of the process of wheel widening, priming and painting. I bought these wheels here off prime about two months ago. I then took the rears up to Eric Vaughn Machine in Monrovia to get them widened. I am at 17x8 and 18x11.25.

It's nice to know someone here in SoCal has the skills to do widening work.

Please report back once you get them mounted. Please also PM me (if you don't want to state here) how much it cost you. thanks much!

I'm curious. Has anyone widened any factory NSX wheels?

I guess you could widen a factory NSX wheel if you were prepared to run spacers as appropriate for inner clearance as I don't know if it would be practical/cost effective for the shop to cut out the center and relocate it inwards or to widen it from the outer side of the barrel.

I've only seen widening barrels done on spun barrels. I'm not sure it's possible/feasible on cast wheels or forged wheels like most OEMs.

But those are 1 piece cast or forged wheels in the photos, no? I didn't think it was possible either...

Sure it's possible, many japanese 2 pc. wheels are a cast center, welded to a spun or forged barrel. I have had many cast wheels widened.

Amazing. What's the cost to do the widening if you don't mind me asking?

Also, I'd be interested in seeing installed pics and hearing about the offsets! :smile:

No, I dont mind at all. Eric Vaughn machine charges 300 per wheel. He has a very nice shop and has some dealerships sending him oem wheels such as camaro wheels.

I've only seen widening barrels done on spun barrels. I'm not sure it's possible/feasible on cast wheels or forged wheels like most OEMs.

If you talk to Eric Vaughn, he will tell you that this notion of cast wheel being less than ideal for such modification is a misconception. He says in his experience that cast is what he prefers to mod. Now am not sure all the reasons why he stated this but I do remember him saying that cast wheels usually have more material. But talk to him if you have questions. He is a real helpful guy.

I am having him do a set of spun centerlines as well.

Time for some shots on the car already...

Attachments

• 08-30-10_1826.jpg
    08-30-10_1826.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 243
  • 08-30-10_1629.jpg
    08-30-10_1629.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 268
LOVE IT! Any clue as to the offsets of the rear wheels? :biggrin:

LOVE IT! Any clue as to the offsets of the rear wheels? :biggrin:

Thanks, I had that all calculated at some point. I will look into it again. Its a played down look so it dosnt "pop" in photos but in person it is a bit cooler looking.

Last edited:
Anyone thinking of having wheels widened, please make sure you choose someone that really knows what they are doing and not just someone with a welder and a lathe. We had a set of wheels that a customer brought for a slight air leak issue, they were widened and the center wheel weld broke while airing the tire the inner half of the hoop destroyed our tire machine and the outer half bounced off another piece of machinery and broke the femur of the technician doing the work. If you do this, please as a courtesy to the shop let them know they are working with a welded/modified wheel. You need to treat them differently and place the wheel in a cage while airing them up now, like the old days with split rims, and some shops may not want to touch them.

I am sure this was a freak accident, but it happened and could happen again.

Dave

I would love to have the OEM rims I have in my Shed widened to 9 inch rear and 7 Inch front. I wonder what it would feel like?

I would put them back on in a second.

dont get me wrong I love my OEM 2000 Rims 16/17

but I love my cars to remain stock.

Back