• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Paranoid NSX Owners....

I know most of us lucky enough to own an NSX are pretty particular
folks; I've had my 2000 NSX for about 10 months and I'd like to start
some upgrade projects -- but I can't get over leaving my car with, say,
a car audio store. I'm paranoid that someone will scratch, ding, or
joyride my car.

Am I alone out there?

Anything you guys do to alleviate, besides getting references and
using reputable providers???

Thanks for any responses.

Visit Sound Solutions audio and video

We do excellent work(references if necessary), I own an NSX so there is no need to joyride yours, certified experienced installers that have worked on many highend cars and we are only 5 hours from ATL. If you went to NOPI we had a vehicle we built in the Memphis Car Audio booth, Completely custom Chevy SSR.

I understand. I am the same way.

It took me 9 months to find an installer that I trusted. I lucked out and found a very good installer 30 minutes away. He took time to listen to what I wanted before he made any suggestions.
Other installers talked more than they listened and then didn't seem very confident in the custom work that I wanted. I ran like hell.
It was worth the wait. :D
Good luck!!! What mod is first?

chrisdelgado said:
I know most of us lucky enough to own an NSX are pretty particular
joyride my car.

Am I alone out there?

Thanks for any responses.

I am exactly the same way! So far this means that one of 2 things happens:

1. I learn how to DIY it and order the parts online this has happened for DOZENS of projects (releathering seats, A/C CCU, fluids, filters, headers, sways, HIDs, brakes, clutch master & slave, CD changer, XM, etc...)

2. I drive hundreds of miles to the one guy around here I trust completely (this has happened once in my 2.5 years of ownership, but I have another appointment scheduled)

As a nice side benefit, I have learned to really ENJOY working on the car. Almost without exception, it is something I do for the fun, the learning, and having some control over the quality. The fact that is saves money is good, but that logic generally tends to fund the next project so any 'savings' doesn't really seem to materialize.

EDIT: I see you are in Atlanta. Barney in Nashville is the MAN. I am sure there are some good places in Atlanta as well, but if you can't find them it might be worth the drive to see Barn. That is who I go to, and he is 2+ hous from me each way. Looks like it would be 3.5 for you.

Last edited:
i do not think you are paranoid. i left a porsche 911sc at san luis obispo porsche dealership for a new windshield. those a@@*oles said they needed it for weeks - meanwhile some friends spotted them driving it at high speeds all over the county. left quite an impression on me.
QUOTE=chrisdelgado]I know most of us lucky enough to own an NSX are pretty particular
joyride my car.

Am I alone out there?

Thanks for any responses.[/QUOTE]
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I've heard several stories here and elsewhere about cars getting strached/dinged at dealers. I think it might be a good idea when dropping the car off, take a few minutes and walk around the car with the service advisor pointing out and documenting the imperfections in the paint, etc.

That way if NEW dings or scratches appear when you pick the car up, you BOTH will know that it happened there. Car rental places do it the same thing, why can't we?

Thanks for the responses and stories....

Hey SNDSOUL, I see you are in Gulfport MS - my parents
live in Diamondhead, so I could take a ride down to see you
guys......I'll PM you with more questions about some audio
options.

Thanks also for info about people you trust with your NSX...
White94 - you mention Barney, is he with an Acura dealer?
Could you PM with more info on his contact?

I also can appreciate the DIY stance; as I grow more comfortable
with the car, I'll do more of the work on it...just don't want to
screw anything up or get in over my head.

chrisdelgado said:
White94 - you mention Barney, is he with an Acura dealer?
Could you PM with more info on his contact?

Barney is the NSX guru at Gary Force Acura, he also has a shop on the side. PM'ed you his contact info.

chrisdelgado said:
Thanks for the responses and stories....

Hey SNDSOUL, I see you are in Gulfport MS - my parents
live in Diamondhead, so I could take a ride down to see you
guys......I'll PM you with more questions about some audio
options.
That sounds great, pm me and we'll set up some time to meet.

I had the stereo store that put my recent install in my car, crack my window, and not tell me about it until I noticed it when I went to look at the progress of my car in the back of their shop. They told me that they were trying to come up with a plan on how they were going to fix before they were going to tell me. Well to make a long story short, they ended up paying for the replacement of my window.

Although I didn't fill one out, I noticed the price quote sheet contained a checklist of most of the major parts of a vehicles condition. This way, it is inspected by both parties before the work is done and if something happens, they should be at blame :cool:

It is indeed sad that we have to be paranoid. One bad experience at a shop makes us feel leary of every shop. I had a tint shop joy ride a car of mine once. I always check the mileage of the car when I drop it off and make it a point that they see me go back and write down the mileage before I leave.
This isn't to say that I've never done this myself. When I was 17/18 and working at the dealership, people would drop off their NSX's just to get an oil change and leave it for weeks at a time. It was like free storage for them. Trust me. We drove your cars. I'm not proud of it now, but at the time I was just a kid and when someone handed me the keys to their car and said, "See you in a few weeks." It was just way too tempting.

i had a disaster at al and eds in north hollywood. the salesman took it for a ride with a tech and someone ran a stop sign and he hit the curb with my nsx. it took six months and two insurance companies (neither of them mine) - $25.000 total. the salesman was instantly fired.

hlweyl said:
I've heard several stories here and elsewhere about cars getting strached/dinged at dealers. I think it might be a good idea when dropping the car off, take a few minutes and walk around the car with the service advisor pointing out and documenting the imperfections in the paint, etc.

That way if NEW dings or scratches appear when you pick the car up, you BOTH will know that it happened there. Car rental places do it the same thing, why can't we?

I do the EXACT same thing here along with writing down the mileage.

In my opinion, if you are too paranoid to leave the car for service - you don't own the car - the car owns you. How can you enjoy it if you are always worried about it?

I own a high mileage '91 - it would be different if it was a newer one. It's also a major reason why it's not a newer one.

I know it's "just" a car...but I've worked really hard to be able to purchase it and why shouldnt I be permitted to be displeased if sompone puts a ding or scratch into it? I have the right to expect it to be in the same condition that I dropped it off. Yes if something does happen to it it can be fixed but theres the hassle of leaving it again and being without it as well as the fact that it is no longer in factory condition.

no thanks on the scratches or dings for me please.

Chumch

Of course the easiest answer is that its just a car. But some people take very good care of their cars. They dont want to take care of their car just to let some oil-changer kid at the shop to go do donuts. It happens enough that its a legitimate worry.
Rather than use the aggressive tactic of taking down the mileage right in front of them(which can be taken as an insult to the shop), i'd do it more discreetly, and check back on the car later before its done to make sure theres no new mileage.

Besides, who wants to let their car become this important to them?
Ferrari6.jpg

paladin said:
Of course the easiest answer is that its just a car. But some people take very good care of their cars.

I happen to care VERY good care of my cars and everyone I know realizes this. That is why I know they are careful when/if they drive it. And if something does happen to it, so be it. :rolleyes:

92NSX said:
....I just look at it as a car and nothing more.

MarkB said:
I agree whole heartedly. "It's just a car."

Such statements just upset me sooo bad...

To those who share this statement, let me tell you that this is such a fallacious statement... if our NSX was "just a car" why would unethical and unprofessional mechanics want to joy-ride it in the first place ? why wouldn't they just joy-ride the first Civic that lands into their hands instead? Saying that may make your egos feel better, but if someone would ever joyride yours, you'd probably not be "just reacting". Or are you that rich that an exotic and rarity such as the NSX is just another pile of metal, leather and plastics?
If that's the case then "Fallacious" is not even close, "Hypocritical snob" sounds more suited in this case... :mad:

apapada said:
Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by MarkB

I agree whole heartedly. "It's just a car."

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Such statements just upset me sooo bad...

To those who share this statement, let me tell you that this is such a fallacious statement... if our NSX was "just a car" why would unethical and unprofessional mechanics want to joy-ride it in the first place ? why wouldn't they just joy-ride the first Civic that lands into their hands instead? Saying that may make your egos feel better, but if someone would ever joyride yours, you'd probably not be "just reacting". Or are you that rich that an exotic and rarity such as the NSX is just another pile of metal, leather and plastics?
If that's the case then "Fallacious" is not even close, "Hypocritical snob" sounds more suited in this case...
mad.gif
I think you miss my point.

Sure, the NSX is a special car that none of us wuold want damaged by a joy-riding lot jockey. However, I won't let paranoia rule my relations with vendors or service people. If something were to happen to my NSX while it was in someone else's posession, I would be very upset and would persue restitution for damages quite vigorously. I would have the same reaction if my computer were to be damaged or improperly repaired by the computer shop.

The idea is to be diligent in one's choice of vendor or service organization. If the diligence in choosing is insufficient and something happens to the car, sue the bas%%%%s, if necessary, to get any damage repaired properly. Just dont let paranoia rule your life

Back