• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Parent check: appropriate age for child to trick-or-treat unchaperoned?

At what age should kids be allowed to trick-or-treat unchaperoned?

• 6 and under

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • 7 or 8

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9 or 10

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • 11 or 12

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • 13 and over

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • Never

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters
The kids are tired of having mom and/or dad tag along for trick-or-treating. What age do you feel is appropriate to let them out by themselves?

13 and over but only if they are in a group. Thats what my rule is. If they aren't old enough then perhaps you can hang back a few yards to let them feel more like they are by themselves.

13 and over but only if they are in a group.

I should have mentioned "group" in the initial question. All options should assume that it's a group of like-aged kids. Sending a kid out on Halloween by themselves, no matter what the age, would never be advisable, I would think.

13 and over but only if they are in a group. Thats what my rule is. If they aren't old enough then perhaps you can hang back a few yards to let them feel more like they are by themselves.
Totally agree. But still an adult close by. I guess it depends where you live also. Some community's do sort of a block party. Everyones involved. It's the only way nowadays.

Totally agree. But still an adult close by. I guess it depends where you live also. Some community's do sort of a block party. Everyones involved. It's the only way nowadays.
Yeah, they did a block party kinda gig when I was living in VA. The adults sort of hung back in the wings, kept a close watch on the kids and socialized with each other. I remember some of the soccer moms wore some skimpy outfits (costumes) too! :biggrin:

It's Trick-OR-Treat. The reason I didn't want to do the treating part with my Mom? I was ready for the tricking part with friends!

We don't allow our son(8yr old) to go trick or treating. We take him to fall festivals or 'Trick or Trunk' gatherings. MUCH safer and he just as much fun since he is with cousins and other family members.

I'd say it depends on the area. God, when I was a kid we went in like 5 or so super young. That was years ago and times change. I grew up and still live in a pretty damn safe town where you can walk around at night and not worry about anything. But if I lived somewheres else, like in the city, and if I had kids, they'd never leave the house!

Stephen

I like it when kids trick-or-treat alone... they end up in my bbq :biggrin:

Seriously though I think people worry too much (depending where you live). If you use good judgement I think 10-11 in a group is ok. Maybe a group supervised by one parent. Just practice good safety rules and discuss their planned route with them.

Attachments

• bbqhalloween2.jpg
    bbqhalloween2.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 19
  • bbqhalloween.jpg
    bbqhalloween.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 19
I was able to go with one other friend without a parent when I was 10 nothing bad ever happened

Back