• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Paul Haney to speak at AR Auto 2/10!!

Edo

Experienced Member
Event: Tires and Handling Seminar w/ Paul Haney
Date: Saturday Feb 10

Information on the event and a link to Motorsports can be found here:
http://www.bmwacaportland.com/#tires

Registration will be done through MotorsportReg.com located here:
http://bmwaca.motorsportreg.com/

Information on AR Auto Service can be found here:
http://www.arautoservice.net/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Portland Car Clubs Team Up to Offer Seminar on Tires and Handling

The Oregon Region of the Porsche Club of American (PCA) and the BMW Automobile Club of America (BMWACA) will jointly sponsor an all-day seminar in Portland on Saturday, February 10, 2007. The event will start with registration at 8 am at AR Auto Service/Adrenaline Racing, 16088-A Boones Ferry Road, Lake Oswego OR, 97035, Ph:(503)697-3311

Paul Haney, author of several books about racing including The Racing & High-Performance Tire, will conduct an all-day seminar on tires and how they work on a car. "Car club members are very aware that tires are a big deal," says Haney, "But they have a tough time getting good info on tires and how they work on their car. That's a complex topic and it takes me a whole day to explain it properly. People are amazed to find out that there really are some understandable explanations of topics they've been wondering about."

"A four-wheel vehicle with tires, shocks and a human driver is a very complicated system. It's taken me a long time to gain some understanding but now I know enough that I can spread some knowledge.

"A long-time race tire distributor told me, "You explained things I've laid awake at night wondering about."

An ex-Michelin F1 track support engineer now an engineer at a Formula 1 team told me, "Your book is the reference in the field."

"As usual in these seminars I'll start by talking about rubber. Rubber is a unique material and you can't understand how tires work without knowing how rubber creates friction forces. Tires aren't the simple round and black things most people think, so I spend some time in the seminars explaining how tires are made and how they behave. I also provide some advice on the basic care and feeding of tires: how to find the best inflation pressure and what can be done to the car to allow the tires to do the best job.

"It turns out that a four-wheeled vehicle is another complicated topic. The fact that cars have four wheels instead of three immensely complicates attempts to analyze static and dynamic loads at each contact patch. Again I start with basics-how a car turns a corner and why weight transfers from the inside tires to the outside tires. The details of this weight transfer, the distribution of loads at each contact patch and the timing of the load transfer, is the basis for how well a car handles and, more importantly, how it feels to the driver.

Back