• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

pearl paint advice please

I’m putting a widebody kit on my Monaco blue pearl car, so I’ll need to do a paint job. I want to keep the color similar (but not exactly) to the existing color because I don’t want to repaint the entire engine compartment and under the hood.

I’d like to have more of a pearl effect, but I’ve been told that if I do that, the pearl will cause the color to lighten, and if I make the color darker to compensate, the pearl effect will be diminished. This all makes sense to me.

My previous NSX was midnight pearl, and it looked blue/purple in bright sunlight and almost black in the shade, plus the contours looked highlighted. I’m assuming that this is due to the pearl content. I’m wondering how the midnight pearl color can achieve such a pronounced pearl effect, but is still dark.

Are there any paint experts out there that can enlighten me and give me a direction in paint color?

Back