• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Peeling Chrome '94 OEM Wheels

New to me, '94 with chrome wheels: the two back wheels are peeling and one is reportedly cracked and leaking. I think that the '94 OEM wheels are nice; not so much in chrome, especially when it's peeling.
Is there someone with experience in refinishing chromed wheels? Can it be done? What suggestions have you to offer?
I am in Northern Virginia so if you can recommend an area shop and a procedure, that would be great.
Thanks.

New to me, '94 with chrome wheels: the two back wheels are peeling and one is reportedly cracked and leaking. I think that the '94 OEM wheels are nice; not so much in chrome, especially when it's peeling.
Is there someone with experience in refinishing chromed wheels? Can it be done? What suggestions have you to offer?
I am in Northern Virginia so if you can recommend an area shop and a procedure, that would be great.
Thanks.

Your wheel probably is not cracked ( it is triple strike forged, highly unlikely to crack, and IMHO the best possible wheel for a relatively stock NSX ) - what happens with chrome is that it peels away from the aluminum. That happens both on the outside and on the inside of the wheel which causes the tire to slowly go flat. A plating shop can remove the chrome and then you can either paint or powder coat the wheel. These folks: http://www.goodrichtechnology.com use a positive vapor deposition method to powder coat a true chrome look ( which unlike chrome adds almost no weight to the wheel and has none of the problems of real chrome not the least of which is the high temperature that the wheel is exposed to during the chroming process ). You can look here: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1311852#post1311852 to see my car with OEM wheels that have been done in black chrome.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information...and lovely car. I am going to consider having them stripped and powdercoated bronze.

Back