• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Performance Body Damper

Note: I Posted this also on the NSX Suspension (1st Gen) section, but decided to open a new thread here in hope more members can see this and give some input:

I saw this brace on Advance website and like the idea! This is something different and out of the box from what is offered to stiffen the NSX chassis!

Advance_Damper_zpsusu8rjs8.jpg

There is very good information on the NSXCBUK about this type of brace/damper here and here

This type of body dampers are patented by yamaha and are offered as OEM equipment on some of the new Lexus models and also are offered as aftermarket upgrading parts by Nismo, TRD and COX

some pictures:

Nismo R34

img_sochaku01.jpg

img_sochaku02.jpg

TRD (Lexus IS F):

isf_damper.jpg

COX (available for CRZ):

bd_assy.jpg

Has anyone here ever installed this, or have additional information on this (even if not from NSX)?

Anyone fluent in japanese that could contact Advance in Japan and ask for more information/ pictures of it installed on the car?

From the picture i would suspect it attaches to the same points as the upper type R brace bar... but this would be only my guess...

I would like to know if the damper is specifically produced for the NSX (is the damper valved for the NSX body resonance?)

Lexus is using a combination of front and rear body dampers... so not sure if using only one would be the best solution...

Thoughts / Ideas / Expirience (even if from other car models) would be nice!

Last edited:
I guess F1 J damper is much more advanced... and will have a lot more effect on the suspension parts... the idea of the body damber is to absorb the vibrations that go to the chassis, as you can see on the video on the NSXCB UK, bracing your chassis don't mean you get rid of the vibrations on the chassis, you can shift the natural resonance, but not get rid of it, the body damper will absorb these vibrations making the chassis stiffer but also absorbing cinetic energy that would translate in your chassis vibrating and reducing the mechanical grip and confort on the car...

here are the videos:

Is this supposed to act like a J damper from F1?

On the lexus forum one of the guys who drives in better roads stated that he didn't feel big difference, the other one drives in more bumpy / twisty roads and stated that he could feel improvement on body roll...

Lexus is installing these new dampers on the newer models, like the NS and RX...

damper_main.jpg

15-10-22-lexus-rx-2016-trd-rear-damper.jpg

[MENTION=16531]stuntman[/MENTION] - you would be the right person to test it! maybe Advance could send one for you for a review! If you like it, i'm sure advance could sell some of them outside japan! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't a chassis bar with bushings on the ends serve the same propose?
These look kinda cool though, interesting to see new designs.

would this be like wearing spanx?

Nope! Wearing Spank would have some effect, can't advise whether you would find it a positive or negative effect. I suspect this device will have no discernible effect at all.

I am not exactly sure what those Japanese tuning fork videos are supposed to demonstrate. I could achieve a similar alteration in the decay of the tuning fork vibration by spraying it with undercoating.

The F1 J damper (I hesitate a bit to use the work damper) is integrated into the suspension system and is considered part of the suspension by the FIA. The purpose of the J damper appears to be to help control the oscillations in the rather large sidewalls in the current generation of formula 1 tires when they respond to road irregularities. The NSX, as far as I am aware does not suffer from this problem. As far as I can tell the dampers in the photos appear to be connected between more or less rigid chassis parts rather than being part of the suspension system.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't a chassis bar with bushings on the ends serve the same propose?
These look kinda cool though, interesting to see new designs.

Well, i guess the advantage of the damper here is that it can be valved to work with the specific chassis resonance

A spanx reduce vibrations so i guess they are comparable! :biggrin:

Nope! Wearing Spank would have some effect, can't advise whether you would find it a positive or negative effect. I suspect this device will have no discernible effect at all.

I am not exactly sure what those Japanese tuning fork videos are supposed to demonstrate. I could achieve a similar alteration in the decay of the tuning fork vibration by spraying it with undercoating.

The F1 J damper (I hesitate a bit to use the work damper) is integrated into the suspension system and is considered part of the suspension by the FIA. The purpose of the J damper appears to be to help control the oscillations in the rather large sidewalls in the current generation of formula 1 tires when they respond to road irregularities. The NSX, as far as I am aware does not suffer from this problem. As far as I can tell the dampers in the photos appear to be connected between more or less rigid chassis parts rather than being part of the suspension system.

Again i guess the advantage of the damper here is that it can be valved to work with the specific chassis resonance, which you can't achieve by spraying it with undercoating...

here are some interesting videos:

Yamaha is using this dampers on snowmobiles, some good explanations there:

Last edited:
Back