• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Photos from the 2014 Daytona Rolex 24 Hours

Some shots from the weekend:

EZ9A1467-XL.jpg

EZ9A1456-XL.jpg

EZ9A1477-XL.jpg

EZ9A1484-XL.jpg

EZ9A1532-XL.jpg

EZ9A1628-XL.jpg

EZ9A1841-XL.jpg

EZ9A1849-XL.jpg

EZ9A2377-XL.jpg

EZ9A2382-XL.jpg

EZ9A2392-XL.jpg

EZ9A2480-XL.jpg

EZ9A2453-XL.jpg

EZ9A2469-XL.jpg

EZ9A2475-XL.jpg

Great Pic! Any more of the 64 or the 158 from the CTSCC race?

I'm still processing the pics, Billy. Had a software issue while down there and didn't get it fixed until Monday night but will post a few more that I did finish shortly.

- - - Updated - - -

EZ9A1682-XL.jpg

EZ9A1713-XL.jpg

EZ9A1890-XL.jpg

EZ9A2662-XL.jpg

EZ9A2745-XL.jpg

EZ9A2784-XL.jpg

EZ9A2110-XL.jpg

EZ9A2100-XL.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

EZ9A1714-XL.jpg

EZ9A1824-XL.jpg

EZ9A1796-XL.jpg

EZ9A1776-XL.jpg

EZ9A1756-XL.jpg

Awesome! Can I get high res copies and use those on my website?

Absolutely. Please pm me your email address. Will send when i get out of court later today. I just ask that you list my name as the copyright owner in case anyone tries to lift them from your site

Great Pics Robert!!

What happened to the Delta Wing? I missed some of the coverage and didn't hear anything about it.

Great Pics Robert!!

What happened to the Delta Wing? I missed some of the coverage and didn't hear anything about it.

The Delta Wing was "glitchy" all week. Not out much during practices and was having various mechanical issues during the race. It had gearbox issues early on and then Gabby Chaves wrecked it on the first lap of his first stint at 7pm. They replaced the nose but it still had some issues two hours after when a connector between the headers and turbo broke.

any shots of dave asleep on station?:wink:

RSO 34, fantastic pictures.

I am very new to DSLR (Canon Rebel T3i). May I inquire f-stop, ISO, shutter speeds on your night shots? I love the pics of the fireworks (which I missed; we must have been at dinner - what time were they?!?!?).

I took some night shots but I was shooting in the dark (HA! I made a funny!) with respect to settings. I ended up leaving it a pretty quick shutter speed so I could keep the cars in focus at speed (even panning it was tough) and medium f-stop, but I had to set the ISO to 6400 (max for that camera) to get anything even halfway decently exposed.

I am not experienced at all; when I used an SLR 30 years ago it was with ISO 100 and 400 film, so I'm really behind on technique.

any shots of dave asleep on station?:wink:

David was smart this year. He was working the bus stop and lollipop stations at 7 so I wasn't able to catch him asleep......again. That is the one part of the track that is inaccessible.

- - - Updated - - -

RSO 34, fantastic pictures.

I am very new to DSLR (Canon Rebel T3i). May I inquire f-stop, ISO, shutter speeds on your night shots? I love the pics of the fireworks (which I missed; we must have been at dinner - what time were they?!?!?).

I took some night shots but I was shooting in the dark (HA! I made a funny!) with respect to settings. I ended up leaving it a pretty quick shutter speed so I could keep the cars in focus at speed (even panning it was tough) and medium f-stop, but I had to set the ISO to 6400 (max for that camera) to get anything even halfway decently exposed.

I am not experienced at all; when I used an SLR 30 years ago it was with ISO 100 and 400 film, so I'm really behind on technique.

First of all, thank you for the kind words.

The fireworks start at 8:57 pm. I use ISO 100, F5, 1.5 seconds

The night car shots I use ISO 3200, F 2.8, 1/250th second

- - - Updated - - -

EZ9A1968-XL.jpg

EZ9A1908x-XL.jpg

EZ9A1911-XL.jpg

EZ9A1913-XL.jpg

EZ9A2410-XL.jpg

EZ9A2444-XL.jpg

EZ9A2447-XL.jpg

EZ9A2491-XL.jpg

EZ9A2495-XL.jpg

EZ9A2504-XL.jpg

EZ9A2557-XL.jpg

EZ9A2612-XL.jpg

EZ9A1974-XL.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

EZ9A2379-XL.jpg

EZ9A2380-XL.jpg

EZ9A2381-XL.jpg

EZ9A2385-XL.jpg

EZ9A2378-XL.jpg

EZ9A2402-XL.jpg

Last edited:
First of all, thank you for the kind words.

The fireworks start at 8:57 pm. I use ISO 100, F5, 1.5 seconds

The night car shots I use ISO 3200, F 2.8, 1/250th second
Ah, I see. On the night car shots I was at 6400 ISO, played with f stops around double yours and 1/60th. Next time I'll try larger f-stop opening. I didn't want to go too open since I was worried about depth of field and focus.

Another question for you, if you don't mind. Were you using auto or manual focus? I am a little disappointed in the autofocus on the camera (with either 18x55 or 75x300 lens), since even bright sunlight pictures have not been as I expected when using the "sport" mode on the camera. I might have to start doing things with more manual settings. As I said, just starting to learn the camera. SO much to learn!!! I guess it's like track driving, need seat time, or in this case, "lens time". :biggrin:

Thanks so much for sharing your expertise. Sorry to highjack the thread but at least it's loosely relevant.

I use only autofocus unless I need to use a 2x extender which results in af being unavailable. Check where your camera is set up as the AF point. I just switched from my Canon 5d Mark II to a 5d Mark III and there was a vast difference (but improvement) in AF points and I needed to get out of my old habit and program the zone I wanted to lock in as an AF. Yours might not be set up dead center which is what I would recommend you use so you will always be consistent.

Depth of Field is always a trade off with low light shooting but as long as you capture the lead car then the shot should work. Even in daylight I would encourage you to experiment with DOF settings since sometimes the soft focus of cars in the background could add to the illusion of speed. In a 24 hour race there is plenty of time to shoot multiple looks so that is a great time to experiment.

And don't forget that even though the inner workings of most canon dslrs are "consistent" throughout the line, the finished product is affected most by the quality of the glass you are using. I shoot only L series lenses but I did start with 75-300 you have.

Finally, shoot only RAW images and using processing software such as Lightroom and ultimately Photoshop.

I use only autofocus unless I need to use a 2x extender which results in af being unavailable. Check where your camera is set up as the AF point. I just switched from my Canon 5d Mark II to a 5d Mark III and there was a vast difference (but improvement) in AF points and I needed to get out of my old habit and program the zone I wanted to lock in as an AF. Yours might not be set up dead center which is what I would recommend you use so you will always be consistent.

Depth of Field is always a trade off with low light shooting but as long as you capture the lead car then the shot should work. Even in daylight I would encourage you to experiment with DOF settings since sometimes the soft focus of cars in the background could add to the illusion of speed. In a 24 hour race there is plenty of time to shoot multiple looks so that is a great time to experiment.

And don't forget that even though the inner workings of most canon dslrs are "consistent" throughout the line, the finished product is affected most by the quality of the glass you are using. I shoot only L series lenses but I did start with 75-300 you have.

Finally, shoot only RAW images and using processing software such as Lightroom and ultimately Photoshop.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for taking the time to respond again.

Yes, my autofocus is set to use the center of the image. I played with that setting at one point but I always set it back to center.

I am using the lenses that came with the camera. I will extend the motorsports metaphor by saying that until I am as good as the camera I will use it as is. I went back and looked again at the pictures I took last weekend at Cavalino Classic and at the Rolex 24. Some pics were focused quite well, others not so much. I will do a better job of recording what settings I was using so when I do forensics on what worked and what didn't I'll have a better frame of reference.

Haven't yet tried raw. I have an audiophile, racing and camera buddy who has the same camera as do I and he is encouraging me to shoot in raw. I have Lightroom already (I edited a b/w landscape that I did a 16x20 print on, which is hanging in my living room, and I am most pleased with it), so I guess next step is to shoot raw. But again, I need to be more consistent with my camera technique first before I start relying on editing. Yes, I do understand the benefits of raw but if I am not shooting optimally I am starting with a sub-optimal shot. Again, thanks for the comments.

Yes, I do understand the benefits of raw but if I am not shooting optimally I am starting with a sub-optimal shot.

Don't be so fast to walk away from "sub-optimal shots". If you shoot raw, you have a lot more to work with that may be corrected in Lightroom. Processing an image that the camera has already turned into a jpeg is "wasting" a lot of opportunities for correction. Plus, you should always save your raw "keepers" in the raw format in addition to the post-processed jpegs in case you want to work with them later.

I have had many shots that were totally unsatisfactory out of the camera but as long as the composition and focus were acceptable, I was able to turn them into keepers.

Unlike when I started as a kid using film and couldn't afford to shoot that much and then had to wait until they were developed to find out my settings were off, with digital you get instant "feedback" and can correct errors on the spot.

There was a race? It is sad how endurance racing is a fringe sport now. I didn't even realize the race was last weekend until the Sunday evening news showed Gidley's crash.

Between the Indy/Cart divorce and the IMSA / NASCAR split, both disciplines are almost dead. I hope that endurance racing can figure out a way to get back on mainstream TV, or even advertise a bit for those of us who are fans, but because of life's demands, are not quite as focused.

Miner

Back