• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Photos of my new SR3 arriving at LAX

Rex

Registered Member
I hope to try it at Buttonwillow on Saturday. We have family visiting this weekend but I figure if I bring them to the track with me it fulfills my social obligations, right?

Attachments

• 27133208705_0_alb.jpg
    27133208705_0_alb.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 403
That's John Morris's new SR3 Turbo in the background. John drove it for the first time last weekend at Thunderfest (Thunderhill Raceway) and placed 1st. It tuns out that John's is car #1, Radical's very first turbo. The prototype holds the lap record at Nurburgring.

Attachments

• 58482208705_0_alb.jpg
    58482208705_0_alb.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 407
Last edited:
John's turbo. From the Radical website: "Prior to despatch, this car was run up on Radical's new rolling road dyno, and produced 320bhp at the crank."

Attachments

• 225707281103_0_alb.jpg
    225707281103_0_alb.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 388
Last edited:
Joel said:
How much do those things go for?
Rex's original thread on these cars (October) anwsered that question; $32k-$65k.

Congrats Rex! That car looks like way too much fun. The videos you posted a while back pretty much sum up the performance. I love the clip of the SR3 passing the Viper, when the Viper driver says "Awesome." For those who have not seen the videos, they are in

this thread. Too cool. :cool: I'd love to see a video of the turbo on the Nurburgring where it set the record. Know if one exists?

Taj,

The SR3 can be make street legal in the UK, which may explain the 6 tail lights. I ordered my car with brake lights to give other drivers a little heads-up but it stops so much faster than other cars that the lights are probably irrelevant. All Radicals with lights have one clear tail light on the left. Don't know why. Maybe it's a Brit thing. Maybe it's a backup light - the car has 6 speeds in reverse.

KGP,

I'll ask if there is video of the Nurburgring record lap.

Rex

Last edited:
Rex,

I'm excited for you, much like the day I picked up my NSX. I wonder if the Radical could be purchased as a kit from the UK and registered as a kit car in the US. Can you imagine a street legal racecar as a daily driver? But I wouldn't drive it with all the SUV around, and definitely don’t want to be a speed bump on the freeway.

Have a nice Thanksgiving and enjoy your go-kart on steroid.

Taj,

I’m told a manufacturer is allowed to sell 500 cars under the kit car rule. Radical doesn't sell kits, they only sell completed, tested cars so it would involve having them disassemble a car and then reassembling it here. I briefly considered it but in order to drive the car on the street you have to raise the ride height a lot, change the muffler and few other things, all of which you'd want to undo as soon as you got to the track. And as you mentioned there’s the SUV problem: in a land of H2’s, Expeditions and 18-wheelers a car that’s 1080lbs and less than 3’ high, no matter how quick, is at a serious disadvantage. But it would be a blast for those Sunday drives through the twisties or the Saturday night cruise down main.

Ken,

The body consists of 5 sections and all are readily available. Radical West stocks them. In fact, at Thunderhill last weekend Justin LaJoie, co-owner of Radical West, started the weekend driving an all black car and ended with a red, black and blue car after a couple of accidents. They just popped on new sections, takes about 1 minute. Justin is now referred to as Justin LaSpin. You can replace the entire front section for about $1,000, Replacing the entire body costs about $4,000 and that's fully painted.

Suzuki recommends reconditioning the motor once a season if you race the full season. Lots of guys go 2 seasons. Reconditioning costs about $2,500 if you have it done professionally. It's shaft-drive so there's no chain to replace. Brakes are supposed to last forever. The only regular maintenance recommendation is changing the oil after every track event.

Justin's car in the morning:

Attachments

• 744665281103_0_alb.jpg
    744665281103_0_alb.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 224
congrats REX, than is one incredible car. 1080 lbs is just ridiculous. and the pics of the red/white/blue care are hilarious.

Now that my friend is a REAL track car. (I say this a i try to figure out how to get my car to 3000 lbs for the track)

WOW.. that's nice...

I really need to change my carreer..

Rex, what would you think the size limitations are for the SR3 in terms of how tall of a person could be to fit inside with reasoanable comfort?

KGP,

Justin is 6'3" or 6'4" and fits comfortably in his car. SR3's have an adjustable pedal block so that the car can be set up to fit a wide range of drivers. Radical West sets up each car for the owner and, in addition to adjusting the pedal block, they adjust corner weights in order to properly balance the car for the driver's weight.

I don't know the maximum driver height the car can accomodate so if you're over 6'4" I suggest you email Radical West at [email protected] . The owner, John Morris, answers all the email personally. He's a very nice guy and loves to share his enthusiasm for the cars. I included a little background on John in a previous thread. I've never linked to annother thread before so I'm not sure I'm doing this right but here goes brief John Morris bio

Back