• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Pinging noise (only on light acceleration)

i thought is was my rear brakes so i had them replaced there was 15% left so not a big deal. So i picked up the car from the acura center and tech said it's a pinging noise from engine and said possible bad gas. i only run chevron highest grade. any thoughts ? i was going to fill up with mobil or shell and see if it goes away.
2004 AT 60k miles stock all services performed (everything) car is still under acura care warranty until 2013 or 113k miles.

Pinging, or engine knock, can be caused by bad gas, but it can also be caused by advanced or incorrect engine timing. Back when distributors had points in them, we used to time our engines by advancing/rotating the distributor until we heard pinging when the engine was under load. If you are hearing this pinging only when the engine is under load (brisk or uphill acceleration), if it's not bad gas, I would be thinking timing.
Good Luck!

Engine knock, to me, always sounds like a loose steele cable bumping up against the oil pan (or the underside of the car)...or pebbles in an aluminum can.

Is this what you are experiencing?

I see you live in the land of 91 octane premium (CA). Given that, gas doesn't have to be all that bad for the octane to drop to the point where the NSX engine will be unhappy.

I'm surprised that the knock was even audible, though. I would expect the ecu to pull enough timing as soon as the knock was picked up by the knock sensors.

i'm surprise that it made a difference by changing brand from chevron to mobile, glad your problem is solved. On another note, i usually get my gas at Sam's club and never had any problem, anyone have any issue with costco or sams?

Back