• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Pioneer AVIC-F500BT and Navpod

Anybody know if the new Pioneer AVIC-F500BT portable GPS unit will fit inside of the Navpod? This is a pretty robust GPS option, and if it will fit in the Navpod, I will be putting in my order tomorrow.

As far as height and width, it seems easily do-able, but depth-wise, it's 1 1/8". That may be the limiting factor.

So... anybody know? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

nothing? this could be a pretty good setup for anybody looking to keep their stock system and add all the new-fangled goodies.

If anybody in so-cal has a navpod laying around that i can borrow, i'll go do the research and report back.

The AVIC-D3 is a double din head unit, and due to it's depth, definately will not fit in the navpod.

the AVIC-F500BT, on the other hand, is a stand-alone "entertainment unit." It is similarly sized in height and width as a double din, but it is just over an inch thick. It is intended to be portable, like a garmin unit.

Sorry.

My brother just installed the AVIC-F700BT which is pretty much the same but not in a Nav pod its in the center console replacing the OEM Unit. Fittment is fine, but he had some issues with the unit itself. Don't think Pioneer has worked out all the bugs out of the unit, still too new not sure if the 500 shares similar issues? I've got the Z1 which was a tight fit, but it works great and looks great, almost as if it belonged there from the factory. :smile:

Last edited:
Yeah, I've heard the 700 has been plagued by software issues, but a few firmware releases have supposedly addressed them. The 500 was delayed in its release, hopefully to tackle those issues before it hit the market.

All in all, it appears to have a lot of functionality:

- Bluetooth phone tethering
- Backup camera input
- ipod control and integration
- navigation (obviously)
- video input

Just about everything the 700 has, minus the built-in cd drive

I'm thinking about buying it, deciding on whether it's the right unit, then trying it out in the navpod. If anybody has a navpod to see if it will fit inside, it would be greatly appreciated.

This would be awesome if you could get someone to test fit it. Might be worth just buying the navpod anyways (if you are planning on doing something, one way or the other). :)

Yeah, I've heard the 700 has been plagued by software issues, but a few firmware releases have supposedly addressed them. The 500 was delayed in its release, hopefully to tackle those issues before it hit the market.

All in all, it appears to have a lot of functionality:

- Bluetooth phone tethering
- Backup camera input
- ipod control and integration
- navigation (obviously)
- video input

Just about everything the 700 has, minus the built-in cd drive

I'm thinking about buying it, deciding on whether it's the right unit, then trying it out in the navpod. If anybody has a navpod to see if it will fit inside, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks spider. Do you know of any competing products? I haven't seen anything this ambitious from anybody else yet. I did hear these systems may be running some form of windows. That might explain things. :)

nothing that small. its a modified windows CE.

i would say go and try one out somewhere. i still sell the new avic units but only after explaining the issues and letting people try them out.

Did anybody purchase this unit? I am considering the pioneer f500bt and install it in the NAV pod. I am wondering about fitment inside the NAV pod? Also, I am thinking that I could run the audio via aux outputs into the stok system via a AUX input controller (grom or spec). Is this possible? Are there any DIY on the install of the NAV pod?

Back