• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Piston differences between 3.0 & 3.2?

To the Technical Gurus on this list:

I'm considering making my 3.0 into a 3.2 (or close to it, depending on stroke difference) by using Darton's MID sleeves. The question is, can I simply bore the sleeves to fit standard off-the-shelf 3.2 pistons, or are there other differences in their shapes that prohibit this? For example, besides the obvious difference in bore size, do the larger intake valves of the 3.2 motor impact the piston shape, or are lift clearances different? Are there any other considerations that would affect this kind of conversion? Please exclude fuel management from this discussion, I'm mostly interested in the physical differences.

Taking this one step further, are there ready-made off-the-shelf low compression pistons available (from JE or CP or others) for 3.2 motors or are they all custom fitted?

Thanks for the help...

There are several 93mm piston sets available (the bore size you will need for a 3.2 L displacement). We have actually moved the valve pocket clearances out a bit lately to allow for later oversized valve upgrades on some of the latest sets we've used.

Regardless, an off the shelf 93mm aftermarket piston will have plenty of valve to pocket clearance with a standard C30 head. Make sure to have a good machine shop/head porter enlarge the bore opening to 93mm on the head to match the new bore size.

PM me if you have any questions. We have a set in stock if you need them soon.

There are many many more differences between the 3.0 and the 3.2 than just the pistons and sleeves. I think there is a list somewhere on prime. I happened to stumble onto it one day and was just amazed at how different the motors were.

Good luck!

I don't believe he is talking about the differences between the two motors... From what I understand he is planning on increasing the bore size in his 3.0 to make it a 3.2... Which is doable with the Darton sleeves he is talking about... Look at my avatar and there you see just what he is planning on doing:)

Back