• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Plastic Interior Door (unlatcher) Handle

It's broken. And PRIOR to the potmetal pivot piece.

Doing a search indicates that there may be NO alternative to Honda's solution which is to buy the entire door latch assembly at $3-400!!

Is there not a vendor to supply the plastic handle alone?

Can I recommend to manufacturers that an opportunity exists to offer the plastic piece, -as all plastics do age and the demand will certainly only increase.

May I additionally submit that a polished or brushed aluminum piece could be offered at a more profitable price for manufacturers? I, myself, would prefer a shiny handle that would stand-out in a dark interior. It would be an improvement and safety conscious touch.

Anyone with input please respond asap. Meanwhile, I'll be pittering with superglues and wondering where smart Honda heads were when they designed a plastic handle to be attached to metal with four tiny bolts despite the fact that owner's hands are sometimes forceful..?

'Pardon me Dear for my tardiness while I roll my window down so I can exit my $80k supercar and graciously open your's. My silly plastic handle has broken over here...'

Drat some engineering shortsightfulnesses...

Write me

I think Sandy has been under a rock.

Things that do need to be solved:
1. SmartLock - Sends a pulse to the alarm letting it know not to lock the doors within 20 seconds AFTER you open the passenger door.
2. SmartTrunk - make your useless panic alarm remote button open the trunk.
3. MP3 Player with WIFI that connects into the stock stereo system
4. ???

:p

Thanks for responding guys.

Of the three responses so far, only "djoonie" understood my post.

I have in my possession the Dali "door fix-it thingies" -which are useless to address the problem of broken plastic in the handle itself.

My handle broke at the metal-to-plastic interface where one of the two tiny bolts to attach the pot-metal pivot passes through. In other words: My plastic handle gave up and split where it's weakest -at the bolt hole, leaving part of the handle firmly attached to the pivot piece. Replacing the pivot piece with Dali's "fix-it thingie" still leaves me with my broken handle.

The effect is the same as if the pivot had broken: no-can-open-door-without-lowering-window-and-pulling-from-outside, except that no source apparently exists for plastic NSX interior unlatch handles ALONE. I'm now at the mercy of Honda and their requirement that I buy the entire door handle mechanism...

"djoonie" recommends I contract a machining company to reproduce the NSX handle. I've disassembled the mechanism and have my (now 2-piece) handle in hand. It's a complicated/curved 3-dimensional shape that's nearly impossible to draft in the minute detail required unless I worked for NASA. The alternative is the mold process, but that's still pricey in the quality necessary.

I'll speak with local parts suppliers and re-post if I find a source for handles. Meanwhile, I have Dali's "fix-it thingies" to admire while awaiting a handle to attach them to......

Do you have a pic?? Call ERZ and see if they have a used one.

1434 Eastern Parkway, Brooklyn, NY
(718) 774-7846
www.erzcar.com
Joe Toth

HTH,
LarryB

Back