• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Please help me get rid of this Bose garbage

BB

Experienced Member
A couple weeks ago I purchased the car I've dreamed about owning for the last 10 years: a Red/Black 1991 NSX with 54K miles on it.

I'm loving this car in almost everyway except one area: the Bose stereo. While it does sound better than the factory stereo in my wife's Accord, that isn't saying much.

The Bose has no high frequencies, no low frequences, and makes up for these defficancies by heavily boosting the bass. Needless to say this produces a result that doesn't sound much better than a cheap rack system you'd find at Wal-Mart. Honda and Bose should be ashamed!

So, I am looking to replace the Bose speakers with a two-way component set of DynAudio 7" (or 8" if it'll fit) speakers mounted behind the factory grills, and a separate amp such as Adcom, McIntosh, or a/d/s/ in the trunk.

This all seems fairly straight forward to install with the exception of the head unit. I have read the NSX FAQ about cutting the plastic in the center console in order to fit a standard size head unit, but I would really like to see some pictures of what this might look like. Anyone have any they care to post?

I discussed this at a local stereo shop and they said they had installed a system in an NSX once before. They made a custom center panel out of fiberglass and then painted it black. Anyone done something similar? I shudder at the thought of having to hack the dash so this sounds like a good alternative, but I have no idea what that might look like.

Also, does anyone know if there's a company that makes a replacement plastic piece console (with standard size radio opening)? I looked over Dali's web site and am suprised at all the custom made goodies they make for the NSX, but no such products for installing aftermarket stereos. I for one would buy such a product in a heartbeat, even if it cost 100's of dollars.

Finally, does anyone have any recommendations for really good stereo installers in the Seattle area? I would like to have someone more skilled then myself do the install, but I may end up doing the job myself if I can't find a shop I feel I can trust.

[This message has been edited by BB (edited 15 August 2000).]

Nobody I know of is manufacturing a trim piece with standard DIN sized cutouts. There are lots of one-offs out there like your shop is talking about doing for you.

Consider keeping the stock head unit. I know it's not the best in the world but it works decently and will save a lot of headaches if you don't want lots of fancy features.

OK I was about to say the same thing so I'm glad BB beat me to it… My Speakers are dieing the slow Bose speaker death (same as what happened on the 300ZX) pop, click, hiss, etc….

So my options are to fix my current ones or replace them like BB. I want to keep the stock head unit because I sure don't want to mess with dash either.

My question is has anyone dealt with "World of Sound" I saw in the FAQ to get the stock speakers fixed? Do they last after the fix? Sound better? Or should I just bite the bullet and put an Amp and better speakers in?

Does anyone have any other recommendation for speakers and Amps to use?

Big question why did Acura choose the Bose system with such a well documented flaw? Sure seams like they could of found a more reliable and better sounding sound system for such an expensive car. I do love the head part though. I like the clean design and nice display.

Don't ask me why Acura decided to put such a hunk of crap stereo in such a nice car. The only thing I like about the head-unit is the volume knob. I can't stand the new head-units that use the up and down arrows for everything. I like knobs!!! ha, ha

Keep in mind that if you keep the Bose head unit and go to a custom speaker set-up, you will need to get an aftermarket unit to transltate the crappy Bose surround signal back into a standard car stereo signal. The last time I checked the unit was something like $45.

You know, I have read so many bad opinions of this stock system that I finally have to say something. I must be real lucky or something, but I think this system is the absolute BEST that I have ever heard!!! This includes 3-6k aftermarket systems!!! My system has great highs and perfect lows. The clarity is amazing; even the guys at the biggest local stereo shop think it's fantastic. In fact, everybody who has ever been in my car comments on the amazingly clear acoustics. My God, I can't believe that so many of you think that it is junk. I hear every pick on the guitar and every touch of the high-hat. I love it....but don't use it often as I would rather hear my engine!
smile.gif
my required .02

------------------
Pls. visit my site w/ lots of info, pics and a new classified & discussion board (very new) @
http://www.geocities.com/nsxcessive/index.html

but I think this system is the absolute BEST that I have ever heard!!! This includes 3-6k aftermarket systems!!! My system has great highs and perfect lows. The clarity is amazing; even the guys at the biggest local stereo shop think it's fantastic.

Well, yes it has good low and good high, but in my opinion no Mid range at all. The sound is either A) Too Tinny (too much treble) or B) Too heavy (Too much bass) And there is no good midpoint where there is equal balance. I dont know what kind of 3-6K systems you are listening to, but a not quite so expensive 800 dollar system would put the Acura Bose system to SHAME!!!
(My $1.00's worth)

BB, There may be a simple solution to your radio problem. Like Nsxotic I find my radio plays well. It is, in fact, comparable to my wife’s 99 Lexus Nakamichi. When listened to by my son’s “stereo expert” friends, they are impressed with the quality of sound.

There may, however, be a simple explanation for the difference of opinion and a solution to your problem. I recall reading an article (I can’t remember where) about a late model NSX (98 or 99 I think). One of the points made by the writer was that in previous NSX’s the radio was sub-standard, but in later models they upgraded to a better version more deserving of an NSX. I looked in FAQ under “changes by year” and found no reference to the radio. Someone, however, must know when this upgrade took place. Therefore, your solution may to replace your head end unit with a latter model version that will fit without modification.

Back