• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Please help - removing hatch and trunk release levers

Re: Please help

As I recall, the one for the hatch you have to take the holding panel off to get it out. There is a"c" clip on the inside. Use a needle nose or a hooked pic. See .pdf below. Both are on this page.

The one for the fuel you just grab it and pull it straight out off the metal shaft that it slides on.

Last edited:

As I recall, the one for the hatch you have to take the holding panel off to get it out. There is a"c" clip on the inside. Use a needle nose or a hooked pic. See .pdf below. Both are on this page.

The one for the fuel you just grab it and pull it straight out off the metal shaft that it slides on.

Thank you, pbassjo

The fuel lever you simply slide back on.

The rear hatch is almost the same way. I think you install the clip onto the plastic handle, then slide it back onto the rod. It automatically opens then locks as it goes on.

OK. It was easy to take it out. The hard part is how to put it back in?

Please advise. Thank you

The rear hatch is not just a simple push and clip. There is a small coil that one needs to turn a certain degree so when one opens the hatch, the knob will return to original position. See the pictures below

I have a hard time with the metal rounded ring after turning the coil and clip it on. Please advise . Thank you

Picture 086.jpg
The coil is inserted into the slot
Picture 087.jpg
Next, the rounded ring is hooked onto the coil and turn the the coil to a certain degrees. Without doing this, the knob will return when you open the hatch.I have difficult time to make this coil sitting all the way to the bottom before the "c" clip can snap on.
Picture 088.jpg
This rounded ring sits like this
Picture 089.jpg

Picture 090.jpg

Last edited:

The spring is not installed in the correct position (backwards). Looking at the pictures, The "flat" end (not the bent end) of the spring should be in the recessed flat area just to the right of the "nub" of that moves the round ring (not the groove farther to the right).

once you have the clip on the lever,, you slide the lever onto the Pole,, it will make a clicking sound meaning its locked in

See the tab on the spring the toothpick is pointing at? Call that "A" (sorry-there's a little fuzzy dirt on it)
ry%3D400

See the groove on the inside of the handle the toothpick is pointing at?

Place the spring tab "A" in here.

ry%3D400

Like so

ry%3D480

Put the metal lever in like this, so that it catches on the other end of the spring and wraps around the edge.
ry%3D400

Turn the metal tab clockwise until it is positioned so and hold in place. (Make sure tab"A" stays in the slot)

ry%3D480

NOW THE FUN PART. PUT IN THE "C" CLIP WHILE HOLDING THIS TOGETHER! It takes some work but it can be done.

When installed it should look like this:

ry%3D400

Now just slide back on the shaft in the car. It should snap in when the clip locks over the indent on the shaft.

Last edited:

I would like to appreciate pbassjo (joe) that you went extra mile, and your time to pull yours out to show me how to put this together.

And I finally did it. Thanks again Joe

This is a great thread.

I will be using this to correct the position of my rear hatch knob
(it points out from the little opening right now, sits horizontal to the ground)

Thanks for the helpful information.

Is it possible to rename the thread so that it is easier found by search?

Little update.

I corrected the positioning of my rear hatch knob/handle a while back and all it was, was the retainer clip holding it on as depicted in the .pdf page from the service manual. Since I have a '92, I'm guessing the more complicated rear hatch handle you guys were working on was from a new model NSX.

Does anyone know if there is a part number for the washer-shaped metal tab and the c-clip? I can't find these items in the online parts catalogs.

Back