• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Please help with headers swap

Hi

I am in process of returning my car to stock and I am looking to remove the Comptech headers and replace them with the manifolds and stock pipes.

I have procured the pipes and manifolds with heat shields. What elso do I need to get before I set my mechanic on this 3-4 hour job? Do I need to get new manifold gaskets? Comptech install instructions suggest this doesn't need to be changed. Any bolts, donuts/hangers or anything else I need to order that aren't generic exhaust system parts? Or anything that might have been discarded when the headers were installed? Thanks in advance!

Andy

You're probably going to want to order a couple of new O2 sensors because most people seem to have difficulty getting the old ones out .. unless your stock ones have fairly new ones that you're confident are still working correctly. BTW, why are you removing the headers .. and if you're selling them, what year is the car and how much do you want for them?

Thanks for your advice, I'll check on the O2 sensors. The cost of those might make this whole effort not worthwhile.

I'm selling the headers because I'm selling the car, and people seem to want stock. They're off a 91 and have 7000 miles on them. I figure they're worth $1000 but I'll let the market decide that.

If your 02 sensors are fine now, and you take them out without messing them up with WD40 or the like they should be fine. You may want to have on hand a few of the 14mm nuts for the cats, but if you use 6 point sockets they should be reusable. If you are using your cats the gaskets should be OK too, do not try to pry them out of the cats. The exhaust manifold gaslets are metal and are reusable.

If you are bringing these to your tech, a consultation with him should be the last word though:).

HTH,
LarryB

Back