• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Poll: Current NSX Prices

What will happen to current NSX values based on Detroit NSX announcement

• They will continue to go up based on the added exposure

Votes: 17 53.1%
  • They will go down, current prices have already peaked

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • They will stay relatively the same

Votes: 10 31.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Based on the eminent reveal of the new NSX at Detroit, what do you think will happen with current NSX values?

1. They will continue to go up due to the exposure created by the new model.

2. They will go down. The current market has peaked regardless of the new model.

3. They will stay relatively the same as they are currently.

FWIW - here is my two cents.

Personally, I think ultimately they will go down due to the release of the new model - with these caveats:

- I think that prices in the last two years have gone up due to hype about the new model and people remembering how much they liked the old model when they were younger.
- Prices have also gone up in recent years due to improvements in the economic situation as a whole...whether this is sustainable is questionable
- Prices on MINT, 100% stock (never modified in any way) examples will probably continue to rise slightly due to collector status
- Prices on modified cars is likely to stagnate unless just the right buyer finds just the right car for them. There is less of a collector market for modified cars...these are meant to be driven and enjoyed.

- I think if the new NSX is a huge flop, first gen NSX prices will continue to rise. I think the chances of the new NSX flopping is very slim given how much Acura/Honda has invested in it. It may not be a game-changer like the Mclaren P1 or the new Porsche hybrid supercar, but I think it will make a similar impact to the Lexus LFA at its time of release (which was neither the fastest or best performing supercar when it was released due to its lengthy development time).

- I think the most likely scenario is that prices will take a slight decline (~10%?) due to positive feedback and interest in the new generation NSX.
- Some first gen owners may elect to sell their cars to buy the new generation, which generates more supply than demand.
- I think a very very small subset of the population will opt to purchase a first gen NSX due to renewed interest in a "purer" driving experience, but chances are people who would opt for a first gen for this reason would have already bought one in the past few years as news of the new NSX was released.

However, if all of a sudden there is a huge crash at NSXPO and the supply of NSXs is greatly diminished, then of course prices will shoot through the roof!

Different situation ...

FWIW - here is my two cents.

Personally, I think ultimately they will go down due to the release of the new model - with these caveats:

- I think that prices in the last two years have gone up due to hype about the new model and people remembering how much they liked the old model when they were younger.
- Prices have also gone up in recent years due to improvements in the economic situation as a whole...whether this is sustainable is questionable
- Prices on MINT, 100% stock (never modified in any way) examples will probably continue to rise slightly due to collector status
- Prices on modified cars is likely to stagnate unless just the right buyer finds just the right car for them. There is less of a collector market for modified cars...these are meant to be driven and enjoyed.

Interesting point of view.

We are tempted to analyze the second generation NSX launch like if it was a new Ferrari or a new Lamborghini replacing their current model which is clearly not the case. Ten years separate the NSX 1st generation from the 2nd generation.

For that single reason I believe 1st generation NSX price will continue to go up. Demand will surpass supply; some of those fortunate enough to buy the new NSX will buy the first NSX to complete the collection, those who aren't fortunate enough to buy the new one will want also the first generation NSX.

Anyhow the hype will rise for the first generation NSX ...

Moreover, time does its work and the original NSX is becoming a real collectible.

- I think if the new NSX is a huge flop, first gen NSX prices will continue to rise. I think the chances of the new NSX flopping is very slim given how much Acura/Honda has invested in it.

I don't believe it will be a huge flop ( assuming more than 550 hp for the new NSX ... )

It may not be a game-changer like the Mclaren P1 or the new Porsche hybrid supercar, but I think it will make a similar impact to the Lexus LFA at its time of release (which was neither the fastest or best performing supercar when it was released due to its lengthy development time).

The new NSX has the potential to be a game changer ... in its price bracket.

- I think the most likely scenario is that prices will take a slight decline (~10%?) due to positive feedback and interest in the new generation NSX.
- Some first gen owners may elect to sell their cars to buy the new generation, which generates more supply than demand.
- I think a very very small subset of the population will opt to purchase a first gen NSX due to renewed interest in a "purer" driving experience, but chances are people who would opt for a first gen for this reason would have already bought one in the past few years as news of the new NSX was released.

More people lusting at the new NSX and unable to afford it will pay for the first gen NSX than first gen owners selling theirs for the new one IMO ...

However, if all of a sudden there is a huge crash at NSXPO and the supply of NSXs is greatly diminished, then of course prices will shoot through the roof!

LOL! That would be very sad for some while for others ...

I think they will stay the same or even go up. The projected price range of the new one versus current pricing of the old ones are two totally different leagues. I simply can't see many people selling their $30K-$50K NSX to go buy a car that could cost 3-5 times as much. Different ballgame. Sure it'll make a nice down payment, but the demographic by majority are not the same type of buyers.

I personally believe people wanting the new one but cannot afford it will seek the first gen out as a constellation prize at best. That's my prediction.

My 2 cents, the prices of Gen 1 NSX's will remain uncorrelated with Gen 2 activity. Why? Because the only thing they truly share is the NSX badge. No one is going to wait for the Gen 2, be disappointed with it when its revealed then revert to buying a Gen 1. It just won't happen. The generation gap is too large and the experience the two cars give it vastly different. In short, in order for the Gen 2 NSX to have an impact on Gen 1 NSX prices, the two cars must be cross shopped or otherwise competitors. Its like saying the release of the 2016 Shelby GT350 will influence 1964 GT500 prices. Perhaps its more extreme of an example but you see what I mean. The two cars are unrelated other than badging. Nothing about the 2016 GT350 will make the GT500 more OR less desireable. It will be desireable as it through its own power. Now take something like the 991 GT3 vs 997 GT3 and you have a different situation. Whether the Gen 1 NSX will go up or down in value in the future is beyond me but what I do know is that whichever way it goes it will not be because of Gen 2 NSX.

More people learning about the (new) NSX will bring interest to any generation NSX (old). Like if an Artist releases a new album, you will see sales spike in all previous albums, especially if there was a 10 year hiatus.

I believe the nsx 1st gen or 2nd is way below its true value. The amount of enjoyment and lower cost maintenance will drive the price up. Maybe like the price of the porsche 911 turbos from the mid 90s. one last thing you guys have to remember is how user friendly the older nsx is. Meening you can still fix them yourselves. Thats a big plus for the potential buyer.

I believe the nsx 1st gen or 2nd is way below its true value.

We won't know the cost or value of the 2nd gen NSX for a while yet as neither the car nor the price has been released.
I do agree the 1st gen cars are still a bargain.

I believe the price for the first gen's will continue to rise. They are at the point in their age where they are only getting lesser in numbers and more in demand. It may not be in the same league as the new one but because of the name and badging you will see an increase in price.

I started this poll but forgot to vote! FWIW, my guess is that prices of current cars, especially mostly unmolested examples, will peak with the introduction of the new car. Every car magazine is going to cover the reveal at Detroit and that will create interest in the current car that has not been seen since the intro of Gen 1. That wave should continue with the delivery of vehicles to customers over the following year or so. After that, the excitement will gradually wane. Whether this means that values will then decrease to current levels is debatable, but I would not think prices would ever be less than current unless the economy collapses or some other similar unforseeable event. I am not an ecomomic expert, this is just my opinion.

My take:

Automobile price appreciation should be based on scarcity, otherwise it's a bubble. There were over 8000 manual NSX's sold in the USA, not sure if that constitutes scarcity. The NSX is kind of unique because it didn't evolve much over 14 years, makes'em less scarce. I'm just looking for a solid car at a fair price, the rest takes care of itself.

Back