• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Pop up or googly eyes

This is pretty weak argument. Most nsx owners appreciate originality of the car. If I would own 02+ I would never touch it. Same with my 94. Sure frogs may be lighter, better performing headlights. But when I think of nsx I think pop ups. Having said that for wide body nsx I think frogs look better.

This!

Sure frogs may be lighter, better performing headlights. But when I think of nsx I think pop ups. Having said that for wide body nsx I think frogs look better.

Economics played a role in my purchase and probably others. If things were different and 02-05's were more plentiful and less expensive than 91-01's, I think the players would be so reversed on this topic! :) A 3.2L 6 speed gpw coupe would have worked just fine for me and I'd be as frog happy as the next...

Edit: I know it's been said before many times by many others, but there's something so very satisfying about seeing, hearing, and feeling a reaction from a command...seeing movement and hearing the whirr & bump noise when the lights pop up into position after turning them on.... like how turning on a light and then adjusting the dimmer level actually feels satisfying, vs. just turning on a light at a pre-determined dimmer level. There's a reason that McLaren supposedly engineered the F1's startup timing & sounds...

Technically, and even stylistically, fixed headlights are better than pop-ups..

I assume you're focusing more on lighting function than speed performance but...I remember reading long ago in some corvette marketing material or one of those over-done text-heavy multi-page Chevrolet ads in C&D about how the corvette was moving to fixed lights from flip-overs for faster speeds. I remember thinking at the time, who in the hell reading this advertisement would need such an incremental improvement for aggressive 1/4 mile or top speed runs at night with lights popped up other than pro or semi-pro endurance racers. I always thought any rationale regarding speed performance gains from resistance/drag coefficient for flips/fixed lights in consumer cars was such funny stuff.

Last edited:
Popups, when retracted, allow for the flow of COLOR of body lines, retaining pleasing aesthetics. Eye is not drawn to headlight area. Fixed has a little too much CONTRAST(car color to headlight), thus drawing attention to lights which become negative to overall design of car. This can be somewhat remedied by painting interior of light, matching car color(ala NSX-R) or purchasing '02+ Silverstone--remedy complete :) Love both jmho

'98 formula red
'05 Silverstone

Last edited:
I personally like the term "hidden" and "exposed" when describing the headlights....call me a fuddy duddy, but that is the best way to call it....sorry :smile:

I prefer Poppies and Froggies
Less syllables, easier to say for the young kids who even have short forms for 2 letter words. K???

I am really warming to the googly/non-googly designations. Here are some uses:
"I have a non-googley NA2" (97-01) (Not me. I wish!)
"I have a googly 91." (02 front end conversion)
"Nobody is doing non-googly '02s."
"I have googly eyes whenever I see this year's Sports Illustrated swim suit edition cover."

Barney Google, with his goog-goog-googley eyes.
Barney Google bet his horse would win the prize.
When the horses ran that day
Spark Plug ran the other way.
Barney Google, with his goog-goog-googley eyes.

Hey, I'm doing my part. How about a nice photochop, Yinzer?

- - - Updated - - -

I prefer Poppies and Froggies
Less syllables, easier to say for the young kids who even have short forms for 2 letter words. K???

Fewer syllables, perhaps. But not as much fun to say as "googly".

I agree that is a very nice bluegly googly.

How about Prime's first non-googly moogly?

a6dcfee9f4aa1a5eb404781ee01acb76.jpg
That's how my car felt until I slapped a blower on it. Slow, fat, and grass fed.

anybody know this googly eyed feller?

Attachments

• justin.jpg
    justin.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 343
I know him! He is the meth addict that begs me for money at the sf bay bridge entrance.

One thing about a G2, you can see the headlights without getting out of the car. You immediately know if something is not right about either one of them. I drive my 2003 as a daily driver to and from work. People take pictures of it almost daily.

Look, this discussion has been going on in multiple threads since the first pictures of the 02 NSX showed up in the auto ragazines in 2001. I had a 91 Red/Ivory and loved it's classic look. The entire car felt more mechanical to me. I still miss that car. Then, I met red-nsx at our local Car's & Coffee and parked next to his red 02. The updated look appeared lower, wider and more exotic. It seems to fit right in with the current crop of exotics though not technology or HP wise. And, I noticed that more people seemed to gravitate toward his car. Though I still love the classic look of the popups, car styles change and by 2002 about the only car with popup headlights was the Corvette. All of that said, if I could own both styles I would.

Attachments

• Coffee & Rides w a new friend.jpg
    Coffee & Rides w a new friend.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 77
  • 20130621_194246.jpg
    20130621_194246.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 65
This is pretty weak argument. Most nsx owners appreciate originality of the car. If I would own 02+ I would never touch it. Same with my 94. Sure frogs may be lighter, better performing headlights. But when I think of nsx I think pop ups. Having said that for wide body nsx I think frogs look better.
Well said, solidol. I agree.

+1 The Morimoto HID kits I installed a few weeks ago are freakin' awesome, better than the factory HIDs on my S2000.

Jazzman,
What morimoto kit did you use, please? How long did the install take? Any issues?
Thanks.

Jazzman,
What morimoto kit did you use, please? How long did the install take? Any issues?
Thanks.

Hey Acuman, I used this kit:

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/hi...preselect=RELAY-9006,XB-BALLAST-35,XB2-9006-5

The 4500K bulb was closest to the 4300K stock bulb in my S2000, but I went with a 5500K for more of a pure white look. The install wasn't especially difficult, but it did take longer, much longer, than the 1 hour they estimate. The only way it'll get done in an hour is if you already know exactly where things will be mounted, where the wires will run, and where your ground connections are, and all you need to do is connect the wires and tie things down. I spent a lot of time figuring all that out before making any connections so it took longer for that reason alone. All told I spent the better part of the day but I was being very careful and meticulous about how I did things.

There were also some issues that added to the time, most notably that the connectors for the bulb and the OEM power were too long to fit inside the bulb cap and had to stick out the hole in the back of the cap that the wires pass through. Needless to say, the grommet that's supposed to seal the hole in the cap won't work so I have to fabricate a longer cap to keep the connectors inside and allow the grommet to fit over the hole. There were other minor issues like trying to find a suitable ground after they didn't come on and tracing the problem back to a bad ground. I ended up going directly to the battery, same as the power lead.

Even with those issues, I'd still get this kit again. The quality is top-notch. Honcho took a look at the specs and said they're almost OEM quality. They do the power the right way by pulling it directly off the battery and using the OEM low-beam power to switch the power relay. They've gotten universally good reviews from other users and I agree with them. As for the issue with the connectors, eh, it would be great if they just fit inside the caps, but making longer caps shouldn't be much hassle. HTH, let me know if you need any more info.

- - - Updated - - -

I should also add, elsewhere on Prime someone posted that an aftermarket HID kit doesn't give the same light pattern that the OEM HIDs do because of the old style lenses. That is true of these as well. The halogen bulb lenses don't produce the nice sharp cutoffs that an OEM system does, but they are there. The light is a little more scattered, not as tightly focused as my S2K HIDs. But dayum, the brightness is definitely there.

Thanks for the info jazzman!
I've got my hands full of projects at the moment, but hope to get around to this one of these weeks/months! You helped explain what I would face, so I really appreciate the explanation.

Thanks for the info jazzman!
I've got my hands full of projects at the moment, but hope to get around to this one of these weeks/months! You helped explain what I would face, so I really appreciate the explanation.
n/p, happy to help. If you go with this kit, PM me when you're ready to do it and I'll send you pix of the initial install (as it sits now). I should have the longer bulb caps in place and the finish work (spiral wrap for the wire runs, weatherproof connectors for the grounds, etc.) done by then and will send those pix as well.

^^?????^^^

I dare shawn to build popup googly eyes:eek:

..otherwise known as blinking exopthalmos............:biggrin:

Last edited:
Doc, I can see Shawn finding a 91 with a busted left front and a 2003 with a busted right side and then mixing the two together to get a hybrid with one frog and one pop-up light - now, that would be cool!!

Doc, I can see Shawn finding a 91 with a busted left front and a 2003 with a busted right side and then mixing the two together to get a hybrid with one frog and one pop-up light - now, that would be cool!!
Wink, wink.;)

FWIW, I think Honda pulled off the googly reassignment much better than Porsche did. Googly eyes + side skirts = update!

23518690001_large.jpg

1995-porsche-968.jpg

Back