• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Pop-Up vs. No Pop-Up headlights!

Which style Headlight do you like most?

• Total voters
Thinking about selling my 2000 NSX to get the newer body style (Fixed headlights) NSX.

I realize there are a few other suttle differences (rear diffuser) between the 2000 and 2002-05 models, but the headlights are really the main difference to me. The average Joe on the street who sees a NSX on the road probably can't see any other difference except the headlights.

What does everyone else think about the "Retractable" vs. "Fixed" Headlight setup?

Thanks!

Last edited:
This topic's probably been killed 9 times over, but I'll bite. As times change, people may prefer something different.

My vote is for the retractable headlamps because they preserve the flow of the hoodline when down and they look fairly handsome when up.

I agree...it has been discussed many times but I don't recall an actual poll (not saying there hasn't been one however).

You are right about people's opinions changing over time. Now that most newer model exotics have fixed lights, I am kinda getting the feel for them.

I'm just curious to see if other's opinions have changed as well.

Thanks!

i will bite as well, if you ask the average joe on the street who has never own an NSX but knows about the car, i can tell you that they will prefer the pop up head lights, if you ask people who has own the pop up currently they prefer to have the 02 headlights i would say a good number, but then there are those that would not want the newer headlights myself included.

The Headlights is the only reason I'd even consider switching. My 2000 is mint, has 15k miles and is a pleasure to drive. I just have this thing about having "newer" and "better." However, after looking at several photos of the Fixed Headlights, I'm begining to think they just don't fit on the front of the NSX...that the Retractable Headlights follow the lines of the NSX much better.

Looking forward to other responses!

I agree...it has been discussed many times but I don't recall an actual poll (not saying there hasn't been one however).

You are right about people's opinions changing over time. Now that most newer model exotics have fixed lights, I am kinda getting the feel for them.

I'm just curious to see if other's opinions have changed as well.

Thanks!

since you may not get as many responses here are plenty http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95791&highlight=pop+headlights+fixed

I'm frugal..more bang for a buck....

The average Joe on the street who sees a NSX on the road probably can't see any other difference except the headlights.

The headlights, the rear diffusor, the side skirts, the wheels, the rear taillights, the wheels, the brake calipers...

I think they see more than "headlights". I mean they are not blind.

I think the original design is more "pure", but it is also dated.

Anyway, it is true this has been beat to death, I can't believe threads like this and F1 exhausts still pop up.

I've owned both pop ups and now fixed lights. When I had the pop ups I didn't mind them, I thought like others they flowed with the body lines.

Now that I have the fixed lights, I love them! To me it's very dramatic and really moves the NSX into the modern age.

When I had the pop ups people always guessed my car as being older than it actually was, that doesn't happen anymore.

Most of my car enthusiast friends (non-nsx owners) like the retractable head lights more than the fixed head lights because it's how they remember the nsx to be. It was a timeless beauty. My other friends & I that are nsx owners like the fixed head lights more because it is a modern update of how the car should be. Give it time, and you'll grow to love the fixed headlights. Those of you w/low mileage "pop-ups" should just get the DF 02' update package unless you are planning on moving to a color change.

The headlights, the rear diffusor, the side skirts, the wheels, the rear taillights, the wheels, the brake calipers...

I think they see more than "headlights". I mean they are not blind.

I think the original design is more "pure", but it is also dated.

Anyway, it is true this has been beat to death, I can't believe threads like this and F1 exhausts still pop up.

You nailed it. I can live with the pop-ups, but definitely would update the rear and sides for sure.

Cosmetically I think I prefer pop-ups. Maybe I'm a child of the late 80s/early 90s when anything hot had pop-ups, maybe it does carry the lines better. They also have a nice novelty to them.

Functionally, I would much prefer the fixed lights. Why?

-They weigh less
-There is less to go wrong (not that I've ever heard of an NSX pop-up mechanism breaking)
-The aero drag is the same whether they are off or on
-No need for separate turn-signal units.
-You can flash them in a pinch

However, none of that carries enough weight for me to drop the coin on an 02+ facelift for my '92.

Last edited:
Cosmetically I think I prefer pop-ups. Maybe I'm a child of the late 80s/early 90s when anything hot had pop-ups, maybe it does carry the lines better. They also have a nice novelty to them.

Functionally, I would much prefer the fixed lights. Why?

-They weigh less
-There is less to go wrong (not that I've ever heard of an NSX pop-up mechanism breaking)
-The aero drag is the same whether they are off or on
-You can flash them in a pinch

However, none of that carries enough weight for me to drop the coin on an 02+ facelift for my '92.

You've just seen a Testarossa for forever haha. :tongue:

Believe it or not, I've heard of quite a few of the headlamp motor mechanisms having problems retracting, or only coming halfway up.

I still like them more...

I own a NSX with flip ups. I saw the fixed lights in person. I wasnt really liking them. The flip ups look cool down but when they are up its a different story IMO.

IMO: 2000 and 2001 NSXs are the ones to buy. rare (low production numbers, NA2, second gen ABS, EPS, and Pop-up Headlamps!

When I was looking for an NSX I liked the look of the pop-ups but wanted the newest car I could find. I ended up with an '05 in Long Beach Blue Pearl. I don't like the look of the silver headlights in the blue hood so I had a blue tint, like a clear bra, put on the headlights. I'm happy with it.

IMG_1766.jpg

^Clear headlights as it left Chicago.

IMG_1917.jpg

^Clear headlights when it was delivered to Southern California.

IMG_2352blue_headlts.jpg

^This is the first blue tint I had put on. It was too dark. It cut out too much of the headlight output at night.

IMG_3798headlighttintoff.jpg

^Taking off the first blue tint.

IMG_3812headlighttinton.jpg

^Putting on a lighter blue tint.

IMG_3834Newheadlightfilm-1.jpg

^Much better. :)

IMG_7194S2000_NSX.jpg

^It's not real obvious but I like the tint much better than no tint.

fixed lights, the pop up is old school. Get ready to pay alot of money for the 2002+ I think they made less than a 1000 of them.

Kryas - that is cool - leave it to a woman to think of something like that!

Actually if there was something about the 02-05 that I liked it's the improved interior! That makes it really cool in my opinion and is what it should have been made with to start - but that's also what made the costs go up on the car - I just can't believe they didn't upgrade the stereo at the same time - missed the bet on that one but I believe Japan had made one last attempt at that time before closing it out. There was all that talk about completely revamping the car all 4 years of that last production run. Unfortunately they decided to get out of racing. What a pity. :rolleyes:

Otherwise to be in line with the topic - I like them both. I most likely would have gone later but the coupe has better visibility and it met the budget. I like what I have - the original - first year - but if it wasn't so expensive I'd update the interior. The stitching is just so much better!

Pop-ups all the way. I saw an NSX with the fixed lights and it was all chipped up and actually looked bad.

as for the Blue tint on the lens ???

Well I guess it better than nothing when it comes to protecting the lens from rock chips.

but its your car. no matter what others think

back to the topic, its your car and if you like the lines with the pop-ups then keep your car. if you care what other think of it then you have fallen into the American Flock of Sheep. and if you want the fixed, then do a convertion but keep your OEM parts so you can convert back if you want.

im just sayin.

When I was looking for an NSX I liked the look of the pop-ups but wanted the newest car I could find. I ended up with an '05 in Long Beach Blue Pearl. I don't like the look of the silver headlights in the blue hood so I had a blue tint, like a clear bra, put on the headlights. I'm happy with it.

Did you consider taking the lights apart and painting the surround body-color ala Type R headlights?

like this: only LBBP instead of white.

sstp_0906_07xx_z+acura_nsx_rr_mugen+type_r_headlamps.jpg

I like both, and hopefully will own both types some day soon. Unless I buy a house and become the clichèd "family man"; then it's an SUV for me and the family. T.T << tears of joy? maybe...

Needlenose>bugeyes :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 2000. It had the pop-ups when i got it which i loved and now i have 02+ headlight which i also love! I like the flips ups but i really liked the hids in the 02+ models. They both look good.:smile:

Back