• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Popping sound from rear

I'm hearing a 'pop' when I make a hard turn. Sometimes it will occur when I brake hard. One time I heard it when driving over a dip in the road. It seems to be coming from the driver-side rear somewhere, maybe behind the seat or in the engine compartment. It almost sounds like sheet metal popping when popping out a dent. When it does it, it's just a single 'pop'. Also it seems to only do it once, and it won't do it again until an apposing force is applied. For example, if it pops during a hard left, it won't do it again until i do a hard right. Any ideas?

Last edited:
I figured out where the popping is coming from. If I jack up the driver-side, the rear lower control arm makes some pretty nasty popping. I adjusted the jack so that it would let the car down slowly, then I put my hand on the control arm. I could feel it and even see it move when the popping occurred. I could see it jolt slightly, right where the rear arm bolts to the rear beam. What type of bushing is that and is it a serviceable item? I thought the factory bushings are rubber. If so, how can it be popping so loudly? I don't have to replace the entire rear beam do I?

13SL00_010_1.gif

So you can feel the jolt at #5?

Are you sure 34,6 and 5 are torqued down correctly?
Have these been adjusted (tire alignment)

Yes, #5. This morning I got under the car and removed #5, 6 and 34 for inspection. The bolt and everything looked fine, so I put it back together and torqued to 90 ft/lb. I jacked up the car again, like before, and now there is NO MORE POPPING. Certainly good news. The torque must have been less than spec because I thought that #34 came loose rather easily.

Thanks for your assistance.

Back