• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Porsche 911 issues video

Yeah it's going viral.
I knew Porsche didn't make super high quality stuff, but this is bad.
Initial quality seems high, but there's a lot of 911's on autotrader on their 2nd engine under 100,000 miles.
The truly bad thing is Porsche isn't standing behind their product.
Not impressive.

This guy is very entertaining to say the least, it's very upsetting to know that Porsche would treat a customer that way, rather than accept responsibility and offer him the option to buy back his car or an equal replacement that hopefully isn't as equally defective :biggrin:

Feel sorry for the Guy. Porsche needs to stand by their product and replace it or give him the $$.

He is entertaining for sure.

Its his dream car and he can't pronounce Porsche correctly.

the engineering imo is sloppy as hell; and some of the stories my friends have at the dealerships would leave you in disbelief.

mr. murray is certainly is the most famous 911 owner right now.

Yeah it's going viral.
I knew Porsche didn't make super high quality stuff, but this is bad.
Initial quality seems high, but there's a lot of 911's on autotrader on their 2nd engine under 100,000 miles.
The truly bad thing is Porsche isn't standing behind their product.
Not impressive.

How's your 911 compare? Wish you had bought an NSX instead?

the engineering imo is sloppy as hell; and some of the stories my friends have at the dealerships would leave you in disbelief.
mr. murray is certainly is the most famous 911 owner right now.

Every time I start to inch towards a Cayman, I hear something that scares me away.
One of my friends just sold his. It was 1 year old and already leaking oil in the driveway.

Here's my breakdown (no pun intended) on late-model/modern Porsches...

- they aren't comparable to NSX, mid-engine Ferrari, Lamborghini, R8, ESPRIT, et'al in terms of driving "experience." They are more Berlinetta than exotic.

- they are the best all-around/year-round daily-driver car you can buy. The fit/finish/feel is great, and 50+ years of optimization/refinement/enhancement has led to a ridiculously complex and sophisticated platform.

- their reliability/dependability is truly random, one owner can have zero issues and another can have unsolvable issues... and that's why Porsche acts the way it does as a company.

- these Porsche models need to be driven, so much of their engineering and design is based off that; there are vacuum seals to prevent patency, the fluids need circulated to maintain lines/hoses/systems, the electrical stuff needs to be operated, etc.

- with a manual, code-reader, proper Porsche tools (and other hand-tools), patience, and (affordable) parts - it's very practical to own/operate and maintain/service and even repair/mod a Porsche.

Poor guy... After Pacific Porsche blew up my 996TT and wouldn't pay for it, I switched to an NSX and couldn't be happier.

GOOD GRIEF!!!!! :eek:

The main aspect I took-away from his story is, he saved for 5 years to purchase his 911. Obviously he worked long and hard to finally
purchase his dream car only to realize it's a complete POS :(

Sucks! I hope he does receive full restitution.

Doesn't this fall under the "lemon Law"? Why continue to dick with it, hire an attorney and be done with it. Although the videos are interesting to watch.

Sounds like litigation was in order for 996garage and in the future for the guy that made the vid in the OP.

Some cars are lemons, plain and simple. It happens. And they can come from any manufacturer…and do. The grievous part is that Porsche seems to be giving him the runaround and losing a customer. They can afford to write off the car as an sales return (they already measure it as a % of sales annually) but they can't afford all of the bad will that is sure to come.

The new 991's seem to be a disaster. All the GT3's were stop-saled and recalled and numerous owners have had nothing but problems with their Turbos. I've read many a threads on Rennlist discussing the issues.

I'm more of a fan of the old school Porsches, and I'm probably in the 1% who thinks the 996 is a sexy car.

Doesn't this fall under the "lemon Law"? Why continue to dick with it, hire an attorney and be done with it. Although the videos are interesting to watch.

I would say it does, but why should he even have to go that far. Porsche should just refund his money so he can buy a NSX. :)

The guy behind the videos has indicated that he has been contacted by Porsche NA and it seems they will be taking appropriate action (ie, are finally doing something that will be fair and make him happy). He is supposed to release an update soon.

Now the question is: will this be seen as one of the earliest instances of an individual using viral/crowdsourced pressure to stand up against a company of this size? Or will this be one of the last times it happens because companies will be better about using PR firms to dismiss/quell such issues?

squeaky wheel with a plan...

I'm more of a fan of the old school Porsches, and I'm probably in the 1% who thinks the 996 is a sexy car.
Make that 1.1% as I love-love-love the looks design/style of my 996.2 Targa. With that said, the 996.1 didn't particularly cut a dashing and distinguishing image.

Now the question is: will this be seen as one of the earliest instances of an individual using viral/crowdsourced pressure to stand up against a company of this size? Or will this be one of the last times it happens because companies will be better about using PR firms to dismiss/quell such issues?
Definitely there is something to PR, attention, and getting the word out. I had a bigscreen LCD HDTV back in the day when they had just come out, which had major failures at least 6+ times in a little over two years (and I had an additional, prepaid extended protection plan for 3-years). The store (local Best Buy), the company (corporate Best Buy) would not permit an exchange nor a buyback. I muscled my way onto the first page of the Consumerist through crowd-sourced pressure and attention. Within an hour, I had a call from a Best Buy Executive VP for an immediate buyback and credit towards another HDTV along with compensation for any additional costs I incurred on repairs and accessories (tv stand, installation kits, etc). To be to the point, this was the least they had to do as I did have a paid-by-me 3-year extended protection plan with buyback for lemon-law situation (minimum of 3 service-calls without resolution). The local store didn't want to take the "loss" in profit/final-numbers, the corporation didn't care as they were insured by my purchased protection-plan. Point-being: you need to draw the attention of the right person at the right time the right way.

I believe there are a few unique factors in this situation (Porsche owner)...

• the actual individual had a fair and proper case to begin with
  • individuals with lesser/contrived cases have strong-armed themselves into favorable mediation/lemon-law
  • social-media/news-press/et'al on a grander scale in the past hasn't gotten Porsche to settle with the IMS-bearings/engine-failures, a Federal Gov't case did

FWIW, VAG's sludge+carbon buildup issue in their D.I. engines (namely 4.2L V8) was an even greater issue than Porsche's shortcomings (with RMS, IMS, etc.) yet they as a company stayed course and remained unwaivered in relenting towards what was obvious and right. I've seen it first-hand through friends (Audi RS4, VW Touareg) dealing with VAG of North America to no avail.

Last edited:
Ohh Come on - Give us the scoop :)

Regarding Porsche: I owned a 997 GT3 for 4+ years. It had 2 issues: very very minor RMS leak. It would go away if you let the car idle for 30-45 seconds after parking it. The car wouldn't upshift from 2 to 3rd when the suspension was loaded. This only happened at the track(naturally) but it became an frustrating issue for me. A company that prides it self on Motorsports and Cup car heritage should have a better gearbox. Other than that - the car was absolutely flawless in 23,000 miles and 4.5 years of ownership. I still miss that car.

There have been other examples years before this case. I'm not sure any amount of PR is going to cover over such an awful ownership experience from a motivated owner. I can't imagine a VW corporate attorney writing into a sales contract certain clauses that prohibit verbalizing an ownership experience.

In reality, a PR company would likely tell Porsche to give the guy a new and/or better Porsche 911 which would then be promoted on every SM and commercial site possible to show prospective owners how good the car really is. They could spend 1 million on a PR firm or 150k on a new Porsche.

The new Porsche extended warranty should include potential future lawyer fees.
'For when things break, we'll cover the cost to sue us to get your car properly repaired'.

Back