• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Porsche owners.

If I am not mistaken the 99s had a host of problems. Google RMS and Porsche.

Seems like a BUNCH of money for a "regular" 996 with 66k miles on it!

Yes, 996's prior to 2005 had RMS issues, but I think most were corrected eventually (certainly after 66k miles?). Porsche paid for most of the repairs.

the ad does say that he had the RMS replaced:

"Notable Maintenance
Coolant Tank replaced at 41k miles
Clutch replaced at 43k miles, since they dropped the engine, I had them replace the RMS seal as well
Oil change every 6k miles and/or 1 year"

The only 996 that I would even consider is the 996 Turbo. They can be had for very reasonably low price for such a capable car. You might want to consider that instead.
Steve

the ad does say that he had the RMS replaced:

"Notable Maintenance
Coolant Tank replaced at 41k miles
Clutch replaced at 43k miles, since they dropped the engine, I had them replace the RMS seal as well
Oil change every 6k miles and/or 1 year"
It was. I've wondered why no one has bought the car though. For the $$ it seemed worthy of a DD. We already have 2 cars in the garage and 2 in the driveway. The wife is losing patience. I drive my truck to work so it would just set in the drive also. I can see her point {sorta:rolleyes:} but always wanted a P car. Thanks for all the info guys. Maybe I'll through out an offer. Steve, a turbo car is not in my budget unless I sold the NSX and I don't want to sell it again. I was lucky to get it back.

Last edited:
IMO...I would save and go for the 997 model...much better interior and exterior!
BUT I am biased,LOL!
A good place to look for info is Rennlist
GL in your search,

Stacy

If you can afford it then I would try to go with atleast a 2002 MY 996. The RMS were "improved" by then. They weren't fixed but atleast your block isn't going to go boom! Ideally if you have some spare cash then the GT1 block is the one to get. It is at the end of its life and will probably be a "collector" at some time in the future(if that matters to you). These would be 996 GT2/GT3/TT or 997 GT2/GT3/TT/GT2 RS.

Good Luck.

Yes, 996's prior to 2005 had RMS issues, but I think most were corrected eventually (certainly after 66k miles?). Porsche paid for most of the repairs.

That was not true for me. I had a 99 911 with the RMS issue, I had to replace my engine out of pocket. Porsche would not do anything to help. I will never buy a Porsche again.

That was not true for me. I had a 99 911 with the RMS issue, I had to replace my engine out of pocket. Porsche would not do anything to help. I will never buy a Porsche again.

It depends on when/where you were when they opted to pay for them (and how loud you hollered). Some owner's got hosed.

It probably hasn't sold because of the fake TechArt Turbo body kit.

Porsche guys are more sensitive to keeping modifications in line with what is truely intended for the car model. The decision to put a full TA knock-off Turbo look conversion kit on a Non-Turbo car seems very questionable IMO and a bit tacky.

But hey, to each his own...

I always recommend picking up a 3rd party warranty if you're going to buy a used Porsche. The warranty more than paid for itself on the 996 and 996TT I had.

Back