• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Positive HP turbo stories

Just wandering if there are any other prime members with positive experiences with HP turbos other than Scorp. Scorp seems very happy with his kit, but it seems like these forums are filled with complaints regarding incomplete kits, wrong parts , and in general poor customer service. I'm interested because HP is the closest turbo vender to me, has an impressive kit for the dollars spent and have apparently years of experience with turbocharging. However, beta was better than VHS, and look what happened to beta. It doesn't really matter if the kit is outstanding if they can't get the kit to you in a reasonable amount of time. I'm sure not interested in sending thousands of dollars and then see my car sitting for 12 months. So I'm looking to see if others have had positive experiences with HP and just haven't posted. HP supporters please speak up if you are out there!

I only purchased the Hot side from them everything else is custom fabricated. I waited for the hotside about 2 months and once I got them the V-BAnd flages were missing had to wait another week for that. Other than waiting the product itself is very nice( welds are clean, jet coated already is a plus, and bolts right up.) Im yet to finish my car but I should be done very soon within the next 2 weeks hopefully. Given the limited time I have to work on it.

I only purchased the Hot side from them everything else is custom fabricated. I waited for the hotside about 2 months and once I got them the V-BAnd flages were missing had to wait another week for that. Other than waiting the product itself is very nice( welds are clean, jet coated already is a plus, and bolts right up.) Im yet to finish my car but I should be done very soon within the next 2 weeks hopefully. Given the limited time I have to work on it.

Yes, I ordered just the Hotside also. Same deal waited about 4 months to get the wrong parts. then finally received the correct items. One manifold flange was welded on the wrong way round so I had to slot 2 of the end holes to mount up, luckily there was enough metal. The wastegate I ordered had the wrong spring & none of the Vband clamps fitted. Had to modifiy the crossbrace under the car to clear the Pipe & grind some metal from the Centre bearing support & wastegate as it was hard up against the Centrebearing support. Vband flanges were not correct interlocking type.(male & female) so they don't self centre.
Apart from that it looks ok, & is working fine.

if you're local i'd think that would eliminate a lot of the problems... you could easily put down a $500 deposit or something to get them started and pay the balance when all is done.

Same situation with my bbsc.. if I wasn't local and had to rely on long distance support.. i would have sold it a while back. but it IS local, so therefore works out OK for me. If you decide even being local is not enough, SOS enjoys a pretty good reputation for long distance support. Lucky for me... they are local too! so would be my (very easy) top choice.

Relatively local, not local (LOL). 400 miles! Isn't it sad that after this discussion being open 5 days that there have been no additional positive supporters of HP even though they have a very promising kit at a reasonable price.

I might suggest if you still are considering them, make appointment to meet, drive out with plenty of time to chat and hang out.. under NO circumstances whatsoever, tell them you are NOT local. In fact i'd probably lie about it... tell them you live a few miles away. Much less likely to dick you over if they think you can swing by "any time you feel like it."

I use this approach occasionally. when my car was in the shop for a while, even when i went on vacation i called daily, and kept asking if i could pick up the car "today," even though i was 3000 miles away.

sounds like you're better served elsewhere, personally...

Judging by the current customer service feedback, I doubt being local makes much difference. Maybe you get your part in 8 1/2 months, instead of 9 months.

HP has suppliers also and its easy for them to blame the hold up on someone else.

From current customers, it sounds like their quality control is terrible.

For me, it was worth sending my car to Cody at LoveFab in Michigan and have him install it. Well worth the extra cost knowing how he is with customer service.

In fact several of the venders on here have excellent reputations for customer service. I can't help but wonder why HP even bothered to develop a turbo kit if they weren't going to back it up. I thought maybe that we were just hearing from a few that had problems while the majority were problem free. That doesn't appear to be the case. Since we weren't hearing any positive NSX stories here, I got on a few other forums and found similar complaining about customer service.

I also sent an email to HP informing them of this discussion and invited them to comment. I guess that the lack of any positive comments after initiating this thread going on two weeks speaks for itself.

Back