• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Possible Sub Solution...

I dont have an NSX(yet) so Im not sure if they will fit so be nice(3 inches tall)... I like audio and that would be one of the things I plan on updating in a NSX and after the reports I have read here of "Tinny mids" and "One note bass" it seems like any solution is a viable one.

Found these...

Clarion SRV303

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-vmX6Tae65Fd/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?search=Clarion+SRV303&i=020SRV303

There is really not much punch to them but I imagine behind the seat or under the seat would provide some decent bone resonance that would make up for the lack of air volume being moved.

Im interested in your opinions on these.

FYI: I searched under the product name here and did not come up with anything.

Without dismissing this product has anyone actaully tried this or something similar in the NSX? It could prove much more effective than the stock sub and it's small enough to hide under a seat or in the footwell ... must say, I'm sceptical that it can produce a decent amount of bass!

~Phil.

You can dismiss putting it under the seat. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that nothing fits under there. But being a 7" sub with 64 watts of power and ported enclosure it would probably provide more bass that the footwell speaker.

There are a few products out there like this one.

Stillwater Designs used to make a 4" driver sub box that had a similar size and shape. It also had a 4-1/2" passive radiator. I had 4 of those boxes in a Fiero many years ago and with a good amp to drive them, I thought the system really kicked for the shallow space taken up behind the seat. If I could find some more, I'd give them a try.

Like Hugh says, if you could get 4 or 5 of them in, it might work.

Also, probably matters some if you have a T-Top or not. The tight cabin of a coupe could be easier to provide sub frequencies but if you like driving topless, well that may require the SOS, Toolbox or other enclosure that can provide a 10" sub.

Personally, I like a sub behind the seat and made a "rough" cabinet that uses just a little more than the minimum sealed enclosure space per Earthquate SWS specs for 10" sub. The cabinet is about 3-3/4" thick and slants nicely behind the driver's seat. I was very pleased with the room / comfort it provided. The sub is to arrive in the mail on Monday so I should get a chance to try it out next week.

Really just an experiment, not sure if the results will be good. My hopes are that it is acceptable, then I can make another cabinet for behind the passenger seat. Then gut everything out of the passenger footwell (except the power steering unit) and rework the carpet in that area. End result, I'd like to see both seats adjusted to the same level. Most photos I see posted have the passenger seat all the way back (just like mine) and that little bit of imbalance allways bugs me.

I have a similar unit by Kenwood that I have installed behind the drivers seat on the base of the firewall. It was only supposed to be temporary until I could make a custom passenger footwell box for a Sounstream sub I have from another car.

Well, procrastination took its toll and I have had the Kenwood in the NSX for a couple of years now. It is self powered and has a dual voice coil 5 1/4 inch driver and a 6 1/2 inch passive radiator. Of course it does not produce ground shaking bass but is a definite improvement from the factory unit. It only takes up a few inches of space at the bottom and still allows me to recline the seatback. I'm 5-11 and I can still sit quite comfortably with the sub in place. One nice feature is the wired remote that comes with it that has dials for crossover and gain and a switch for phase.

I may throw in the towel on trying to fabricate a custom box and eventually go with one of Zetoolman's units. We'll see...

i have the clarion 303 in my car and it sounds way better than the oem sub. it doesn't have the punch that a 10" would have, but definitly worth it. you can easily mount it in the front footwell or any of the back seats.i mounted mine right behind my seat :smile: . if you're looking for nice clean bass here's your answer and for $140 usd, it won't dissapoint you. cheers!

Rico D.

Which one to go w/?

Ok... seems like TWO primary choices for compact, powered subwoofers:

Clarion SRV303: Powered sub with 7" woofer
l020SRV303-f.jpeg

- 7" subwoofer w/ detachable control panel with cable (contains gain, crossover, and phase controls)
- built-in amplifier (64 watts RMS/120 peak)
- (W) 13-5/8" x (H) 2-15/16" x (D1) 9-1/8" x (D2) 9-1/8"

Kenwood KSC-SW1: Powered enclosed subwoofer
l113KSCSW1-f.jpeg

- powered, enclosed subwoofer with 6-1/2" driver and 6-1/2" passive radiator w/ wired remote for control over:
volume level control, variable low-pass crossover (50-120 Hz), selectable phase control (0°, 180°)
- built-in amplifier: 150 watts RMS
- dimensions: (W) 15-3/4" x (H) 3-11/16"H x (D) 9-1/16"

Low availability:

Kenwood KSC-WA62RCThe wOOx: Powered Enclosed Subwoofer
l113WA62RCDMT.jpeg

- dual voice coil 5-1/4" woofer & 6-1/2" passive radiator
- 30 watts RMS x 2 channel amplifier (max 50watts)
- (W) 15-1/8" x (H) 4-3/8" x (D) 8-3/16"

I am nowhere close to being an audiophile as a few other NSX enthusiasts. However, I do like respectable sound quality. I'm mostly content w/ my Acura OEM Bose stereo w/ the exception of my center-speaker crackling and occasional sub' acting up. Not a major task to disconnect. In light of such, I would go for one of these compact, powered subs' mentioned above if there was somewhat of a difference in sound production compared to OEM. If it's only marginally improved over OEM, I'd pass. Going for an 8" or 10" sub/amp setup in the passenger footwell is overkill for a person like me. When I decide to go w/ aftermarket speakers/tweeters/etc., I'll obviously go w/ such a sub/amp setup.

Any insights regarding the Clarion vs. Kenwood compact-powered subs'... :confused:

(I plan to keep my Acura OEM Bose head-unit, OEM CD-changer, but I also want to add-on an Omnifi MP3-player/hard-drive... I'd still need a Blitzsafe adapter?)

If its possible, then I would use this set up, let me know if anyone accomplishes this task. My stereo sucks right now in my nsx. I have a sony deck and I dont know what speakers the door has and the center channel does not work. There is no sub on the foot rest area.:confused:

That would be a good additive to upgrade the factory sub. I wish I had pics of the NSX-T that a kid I went to school had. He had a custom center console/sub enclosure built in his that housed a single JL Audio 10W6 10" sub that fired toward the engine-bay. It was wrapped in carbon-fiber and it sounded as good as it looked.

On Wednesday I can let you guys know!! I have all the door panels off and will be installing Alpine SPR 17s and Alpine PDX 4.150 with either the Clarion or Kenwood (waiting to see which bid I win... ) I will keep you guys posted and will post pictures when the install is done....

I played around with subs behind the drivers seat and ended up with an enclosure using a Blaupunkt 12" Overdrive speaker. The speaker is about 2-1/4" deep and the enclosure is roughly 3-1/2 to 4" deep. It is skinned in tan interior (I have a 95 NSX) and I'd say the enclosure is roughly .2 - .3 cu. ft.

It form fits into the cavity behind the seat - took me a while to build. End result was pretty good, but by then I put a Toolbox v.3 in the passenger footwell and the combination of both cabinets was just too much for my door speakers to keep up with.

The custom enclosure is just setting around so I think I'll see if someone else wants to play with it. It does require a separate amp.

Shaun

I think the only thing that fits under our seats is a piece of paper.

I have a custom subbox in the passenger side that allows for about 4-5 more inches of foot space than the ones sold here. I believe that i actually have more foot-space than i had with the factory sub. I had to relocate the power steering to under the carpet behind the passenger seat. It is hidden and looks clean. I am using the new shallow 10" 1023 s-type sub.

Car has been in the shop over 3 months now and i am scheduled to get it next week (or so they say). I will post pictures soon.

I dont have an NSX(yet) so Im not sure if they will fit so be nice(3 inches tall)... I like audio and that would be one of the things I plan on updating in a NSX and after the reports I have read here of "Tinny mids" and "One note bass" it seems like any solution is a viable one.

Found these...

Clarion SRV303

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-vmX6Tae65Fd/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?search=Clarion+SRV303&i=020SRV303

There is really not much punch to them but I imagine behind the seat or under the seat would provide some decent bone resonance that would make up for the lack of air volume being moved.

Im interested in your opinions on these.

FYI: I searched under the product name here and did not come up with anything.

Without dismissing this product has anyone actaully tried this or something similar in the NSX? It could prove much more effective than the stock sub and it's small enough to hide under a seat or in the footwell ... must say, I'm sceptical that it can produce a decent amount of bass!

~Phil.

I actually used this exact sub in my NSX before. From what I can remember it is better then the stock bose sub. I still have it, and it's for sale if anyone is interested? :wink: Say $80.00 shipped in anywhere in the U.S.

Last edited:
I actually used this exact sub in my NSX before. From what I can remember it is better then the stock bose sub. I still have it, and it's for sale if anyone is interested? :wink: Say $80.00 shipped in anywhere in the U.S.

If you still have it I will take it. PM payment information...

Just wanted to add my $0.02:

I fitted 2 x Clarion SRV-303 behind the seats in the NSX today.

Played around with the crossover point for awhile, went for a test drive with engine & road noise... and I'm very happy with them!

It seems that if the gain is turned up more than 1/4 of full, these subs get overloaded, lots of distortion. With just 1 sub in place, I had to turn up the gain beyond this point. It's never going to cause deafness or wake the neighbours but it seems that 2 of these units working together can fill in the bottom end nicely without distortion.

Finally you like rap music it might be best to look elsewhere - punchy beats are not the strong point of these tiny units.

This was why I designed the V3 sub enclosure that fits in the factory location. It hits real hard and works with all types of music. Plus, no loss of leg room. Just look at the reviews!!

There are only a few left, so get em while you can!

still keep the OEM sub/amp functional & just ADD this?

So, like... a 5 year bump!
zxy6q.gif

Questions:

- what's required to install (1) of these compact/low-profile self-powered subwoofers in an NSX w/ the OEM Bose head-unit (which has the CD-changer disconnected & USA-Spec aux. input converter attached for AVIC F500BT capability)?

- can the passenger-footwell sub/amp be kept functional, if adding (1) of these compact/low-profile self-powered subwoofers?

(I'm laboring to keep the OEM sound-system as to preserve ergonomics & keep things relatively stock...)

Last edited:
Re: still keep the OEM sub/amp functional & just ADD this?

So, like... a 5 year bump!
zxy6q.gif

Questions:

- what's required to install (1) of these compact/low-profile self-powered subwoofers in an NSX w/ the OEM Bose head-unit (which has the CD-changer disconnected & USA-Spec aux. input converter attached for AVIC F500BT capability)?

- can the passenger-footwell sub/amp be kept functional, if adding (1) of these compact/low-profile self-powered subwoofers?

(I'm laboring to keep the OEM sound-system as to preserve ergonomics & keep things relatively stock...)

My guess is that you'd need one of these adapters:
factoryhead-after.jpg

Then you'd need a Y-splitter to send one side of the signal to the OEM speakers and the other side to the subwoofer.
Lastly you'd need to run power & remote turn on to the subwoofer. Any stereo shop should be able to do this without much work.

I have the Boss BASS600 in my Mazda and am quite impressed with it for the cost. I highly recommend it. The main issue for it in the NSX will be the mounting location.. in my Mazda it fits nicely under the seat, but in the NSX it'll have to be mounted behind one of the seats.
http://www.amazon.com/BASS600-8-Inch-Profile-Amplified-Subwoofer/dp/B000OSZA44
412-5gs39ML._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Last edited:
Re: still keep the OEM sub/amp functional & just ADD this?

I have the Boss BASS600 in my Mazda and am quite impressed with it for the cost. I highly recommend it. The main issue for it in the NSX will be the mounting location.. in my Mazda it fits nicely under the seat, but in the NSX it'll have to be mounted behind one of the seats.
http://www.amazon.com/BASS600-8-Inch-Profile-Amplified-Subwoofer/dp/B000OSZA44
412-5gs39ML._SL500_AA300_.jpg

That thing looks pretty thick. You'd lose a lot of travel putting it behind one of the seats.

Back