• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Possibly pursuing this '92 NSX JH4NA1151NT001150

Looking at this 1992 5 speed

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...e=b&num_records=100&cardist=11&standard=false

I've already sent a request to the dealer to determine if the transmission is in the snap ring range and am awaiting the reply. I would honestly say that the mods are NOT-tastefully done but again that is imo. I also think the price is somewhat high for a 137k but again, imo.

Your opinions/thoughts?

EDIT CAN A MOD PLEASE CORRECTLY SPELL "POSSIBLY" IN MY THREAD TITLE? THANKS

Last edited:
Re: Possibky pursuing this '92 NSX

any maintenance history? How long since TB and WP?

That does seem a little high unless the car is in great condition, without issues and TB and WP were very recently done.

1. what mods? ... the color matched roof?
2. Price seems low from my experience....

I guess I'm somewhat of a purist. The wheels, dash, and shift knob (yuck) are modifications in my book.

sorry I didn't scroll across to see the inside.. the shift knob can be brought back to normal easy enough, i agree its totally off. The radio can also be restore to OEM, they also show up here for resale.

The price, I'm referencing Canadian prices near the 35k mark, which is the norm here.

Older cars ALWAYS need alot of work/money to get perfect again, I would set aside in my mind easily $5000 thinking that you'll need this/that... they aren't always obvious at first when you're in the "im in love" phase of a purchase.

if you want a 91-94 era car, try to look for the 94s, because as I understand each iteration of the car, year to year they made some minor upgrades/repairs based on user experience and feedback to Acura.

I went and test drove the NSX today (10/29/11) and have some input and questions.

First the questions:
Is the NSX supposed to have very heavy steering? It was almost strenuous to turn the wheel?
The car had an intermittent rattle from the front left, what could this be? It would show up during at all times (idle,acceleration,breaking,cruising, etc).

Observations:
The leather was in better than average shape, very little wear on the driver side bolster.
A lingering smell in the cabin, not overwhelming, maybe just stale air.
Rims have some damage form rocks.
Exterior in good shape for 20years old. Some ships in the paint around the driver side light.
Engine cover in great shape.
Car cover looked to be in good shape as well.

Can anyone give some input on my questions? Thanks.

I'd wager that the whole car has been repainted. It looks too pearlescent to be factory Sebring Silver and the front end has definitely been resprayed ( as well as the roof, but you know this ).

No power steering in the NSX until '94, I believe.

And there was no power steering until 1995 for manual cars. Automatic cars always had electric assisted power steering.

First the questions:

The car had an intermittent rattle from the front left, what could this be? It would show up during at all times (idle,acceleration,breaking,cruising, etc).

Observations:

A lingering smell in the cabin, not overwhelming, maybe just stale air.

I had an intermittent rattle in the front left and it turned out that the clutch pedal push rod had too much free play in it. Adjusted it properly and the sound went away.

As far as the smell goes, might want to pull back the floor mats and carpeting to check for water/flood damage evidence.

IF the whole car has been painted - I'd be mighty suspicous. I don't think the price is necessarily high - but records are a must and if no records and a trustworthy individual owner then a PPI is in order. Actually this one needs a PPi and I'd even take it to a body shop for an eval on the paint. You definitely need to get this one up on a lift for close inspection. Have you seen a carfax or autocheck - not that they are absolute but it doesn't hurt to have one. At least you'll see the owner history and that is very important.

I'd tread carefully with this one....:wink:

I agree with TBromley that you should err on the side of caution and have a knowledgeable PPI performed on the car, including a leak-down test.
Engines are not cheap... and be sure to check the transmission # against the snap-ring list. Get it on a lift and check out the underside for hidden issues, CV boots, loose parts, drippy gaskets, weird hackjobs, etc.

The mods are ehh... fugly shift knob, interesting placement of tweeter pods

The paint condition as shown in pictures certainly indicates a respray, obviously the roof, and also seems "nicer than you would expect" on a car with 137K miles. Check body panel alignment on a known good Primer's NSX and then compare to this car. Get in touch with local Primer's that can assist you with an inspection, PPI mechanic/shop referral, etc.

Price seems kinda high for a 137K mile car, depends on your perspective and piggy bank... have 5K set aside for general rehab and dealing with deferred maintenance.

There are plenty of other NSXs on the market too... you have options

-

Thanks for the responses. As of right now, the rattle that was undiagnosed is still unknown so that carries a lot of weight. I will update this thread if anything further surfaces,

The wheel was loose???? WOW - that sounds like a typical small time car dealer that isn't on top of things. If this is found what about the stuff you can't see???? Any receipts; any history? Most likely not - and that's why I always suggest staying away from tiny dealers like this selling cars that have been painted - before I went any further - if you are really interested - schedule a pre purchase inspection with a reputable shop that knows NSXs. At least a dealer in the local area! Good luck with this.

Back