• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

postal service

USPS sucks. It seems you can't talk to an agent anymore by using their generic 1-800 number.

I'm all for automated assistance when the questions are easy, but I only call when I absolutely need help that the generic automated stuff can't handle. In the old days, you could ignore the prompts and repeatedly say, "agent" and get transferred to a real person for help. Today I tried, and saying "agent" doesn't work. Voice prompts state I have to give a reason before I'll be transferred to an agent. Fine, I played along and said "tracking". Entered in my tracking info and the voice prompt says there is nothing more they can do for me and talking to an agent won't accomplish anything. The system then hung up on me! What a bunch of BS. The voice prompt clearly stated that I would be transferred to an agent. Liars!

Same thing goes for UPS now. I called them today and had to trick the system in order to get to speak to a real person. I had to pretend that I needed help with shipping. When she answered, I told her I needed help with tracking a package.

My problem is I'm getting really annoyed this new "Expedited Mail Innovations" program where UPS takes the package only so far and then hands it off to your local USPS post office. Supposed to cut down on volume. I call BS. How the F is transferring a package to your competition and having them log it in, then route for delivery efficient. I can understand in rural areas, but I live in a suburb where UPS and FedEx trucks are in my neighborhood many times throughout the day, every day.

I placed 3 orders with company X. Company X ships all 3 packages the same day. I track them and they are all moving along at the same speed, same facilities, same times etc. On Tuesday, I received 2 out of 3 packages. The third package is MIA. UPS tracking shows "Package transferred to Post office". FWIW, the other two packages showed the exact same thing.

So I start by some google sleuthing and am able to find my local post office phone number. After being on hold for 3.5 minutes, the system automatically hangs up on you. Awesome. So after calling back about 10 times and 40 minutes later, I finally get a person! She tells me they have not take delivery of the package yet and it's still with UPS. If they did receive it, they would have records of it, their own tracking number etc.

So I call UPS and was able to speak to someone by tricking the system as mentioned above. She tells me that USPS definitely has the package and gives me an alternate tracking number that USPS should recognize. After punching in my tracking info again on UPS website, I do see the original tracking number and the alternate tracking number.

So I call my local post office back again armed with this new information. After getting hung up about 5 times, I get the same lady. I tell her I have a new alternate tracking number. She says ok, let's have it. After 3 digits she cuts me off and says there is no way a tracking number starts with 802 blah blah blah. I tell her what UPS told me. She then proceeds to tell me that UPS doesn't know what they are doing and this is a known issue with these alternate tracking numbers that mean diddly squat, and has been a problem for the last 1.5 years.

TLDR: USPS and UPS are pointing their fingers at each other and claim the other has my package. How convenient. Now no one can be held responsible. Thanks for "loosing" my package worth $500 you a-holes. Probably stolen by either a UPS or USPS employee, similar to how PS5's are getting stolen by employees.

boy oh boy I hate that ....but sounds like usps and ups are in 3rd world mode...

boy oh boy I hate that ....but sounds like usps and ups are in 3rd world mode...

It is a marriage of convenience. USPS is really good at one thing, door to door pickup and delivery. No other organization is even close in the ability to reach everybody. UPS is good at moving material from terminal to terminal. At the end of the day, both sides can blame the other for delays. It is the new American way, outsource some of the job, blame all of the issues as out of one's control.

Customer service is one of those issues that seems to be a problem with all modern companies. Deliver the poorest customer service the customer will endure, and if you happen to have no competition, deliver even poorer (and less expensive) service.

improving

Latest issue is with the UPS and USPS partnership "Mail Innovations." Package is shown on the UPS website as at my local post office...a week ago. Calling either carrier results in "I'm sorry you're package is late. Here's the phone number and customer service website to the other carrier."

Sigh. I'm being taught patience. :)

Latest issue is with the UPS and USPS partnership "Mail Innovations." Package is shown on the UPS website as at my local post office...a week ago. Calling either carrier results in "I'm sorry you're package is late. Here's the phone number and customer service website to the other carrier."

Sigh. I'm being taught patience. :)

You too, eh? Same thing as I described above. I feel your pain.

Bringing this thread back as I ordered a bunch of home theatre parts (e-bay) and USPS a has been much, much better than 6 months ago. I have one package was dropped off in NY Friday, and will be delivered today! Have also got 2 items next day.
A package shipped UPS has taken a couple days longer, but seems improved as well.

Back