• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

pot hole!

So my car is 45 days old, And I hit a pot hole at a low speed. Did some damage to the drivers plastic bumper insert. I take it to the shop and they say "this part isn't even available" ( a part mind you that s the most common part that will suffer damage on these cars!!! He says "the dealer should have given you a paper saying that parts might not be obtainable when you bought this car, thats the law"......
Ok, no biggie the part can be nitrogen welded and repaired easily enough. I go to my standby bodyshop that does top notch work and find out they have been bought out by"service king" Out of Dallas.... right away i realize the shop is and never will be the same!!!:frown:
On to the next top tier shop 2 hours away in Austin, Texas (Berli's) I get there and they are great! Top notch service! BUT......................... The Manager says...if you crash this car no one will be able to fix it, it MUST go back to ohio for repairs as we canno't even get a single part for these cars yet!!!! OH BOY!!!!!! guess ny driving will be a bit more carefull now!!!!
Cheers,
Marc

Welcome

Didn't your dealer inform you about the repair procedures?

For any damage, the dealer does an assessment and then you can go to an NSX certified body shop or as you pointed out, the car may need to go to Ohio for the repair (no car has been repaired in Ohio to date).

I would guide to contact your dealer and they will get you fixed up.

Now that you mention it, my dealer didn't mention any special repair procedure to me. I heard about here from you guys.

The pothole (and worse) situation in SF Bay Area is ridiculous. Be careful out there!

The car is too low (3.7 or 4.2" low point at front axle I believe) and only 4.75" between the axles (even a 488 is 5" between the axles and has a front end lift option), so if you hit a moderate sized pothole you could bend your control arm...

and, the shocks have fixed spring perch (plates) so you cannot do anything (to raise the car) other than buy larger profile tires (which will probably confuse the computers and if so will turn the car into RWD and the nannies will be confused not to mention throw your speedometer/odometer off)

this is why I cannot purchase, it is just too low and no way to adjust ride height, bah!

Last edited:
Update......
so apparently the shop In San Antonio was wrong... the front bummper piece is available ($1600) total cost to fix $3000..... I guess you have to pay to play at this level. They said (shop in Austin) that piece "could" be repaired but i opted to replace as car has less than 1000 miles on it.
-Marc

Update......
so apparently the shop In San Antonio was wrong... the front bummper piece is available ($1600) total cost to fix $3000..... I guess you have to pay to play at this level. They said (shop in Austin) that piece "could" be repaired but i opted to replace as car has less than 1000 miles on it.
-Marc

Do you have pictures of the damage? Sounds like an expensive pothole, wow!

no sorry... supercar parts are expensive as are top notch body shops, escpecially when you pay out of pocket..... they end up charging you top labor rate whereas insurance companies will beat them down to a lower rate...

Agreed, parts and labor are expensive, however, to cause such damage by a pot hole is pretty extreme, if you actually hit something I would expect some damage (or maybe a lot of damage), but I would not expect any damage from a pot hole driven through at a slow speed that you indicate, so that's mostly why I am interested in a picture of the damage as to what happens when you drive through such a pot hole, thanks

the pot hole was not that huge... but deep enough to gouge the plastic really good and rip 2 holes in the underside....I hit it at maybe 3-5mph max... the damage was only 1 plastic piece (the bumper insert on driverside) the rest of the front end is fine as it was fully inspected when taken apart

So was it a fender liner?

Back